Ret Pallys in Dragonflight are they any good?

As it currently stands, don’t bother with playing a Ret Pally in DF. Maybe a month or 2 after DF is released, the Devs will take pitty on the Paladin class and throw us a bone or 2. Or maybe a Christmas miracle will come early and the fabled “tuning” stage will make Ret good again. But I have my strong doubts.

2 Likes

They went about adjusting our damage the wrong way. The nerfs to the AoW proc rate were the wrong way to do it as it effects the entire flow of the spec, and causes a chain reaction on everything that requires AoW to reset. It essentially killed Ashes to Dust, and Ashes to Ashes.

1 Like

i’m just glad right now i play affliction as main.

2 Likes

We’re quite literally getting worse versions of the abilities and procs we have now.

Don’t even get me started on M+. Unless Ret is doing double the dps of everyone else like Surv is, its a dead spec.

The level of incompetence is genuinely surprising. Even for Blizzard.

4 Likes

For all that is holy please do not use your boost to play ret. Like if you want to play exclusively prot and/or holy, that’s fine but stay away from the red-headed step child. Go play something else fun that people will want to play alongside more readily.

And really don’t boost any character if your intention is to play the melee/lone dps spec of that class if it has ranged or healer/tank alternatives (priest, monk, hunter, shaman, paladin, demon hunter)

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong my voice is amongst the near 2k posts in the paladin beta thread that Blizzard has outright ignored for the entire development cycle. As it stands Holy and Protection bring the same or better utility.

2 Likes

Yeah…idk mane. I’ll give them till to the end of this month. If Ret doesn’t get overhauled, its time to hang this guy up for me most likely.

Maybe i’ll just tank in keys.

2 Likes

The past 2 months I’ve been wanting to just play either one of those in keys just to get some feel for them before and during prepatch. But I think about it and just feel tired. Probably just play another class altogether.

2 Likes

Anyone that’s played shaman prior to the second half of sl will take serious issue with this suggestion

1 Like

To be honest, if it wasn’t for my guild, and the people in it, I’d have quit by now.

2 Likes

And funny enough because of my work for the longest time I did (still was subbed but middling around with the obvious casual stuff). Only came for fated/s4 and sitting at 299 and that’s because the guild accepted me back after having to leave like early 2021. Without them would unsub or be a world quest andy.

Knew the train ride toward df wasn’t going to be enjoyable just for seeing little things in all the pally trees as they came out. These ret changes are just icing on the “cake”.

I guess playing a healer at this point wouldn’t be too bad.

2 Likes

Well with 90 minutes on a ret lvl 60 from the beta template I’m determined to keep trying and see if it gets better but honestly he hits like a wet noodle , very disappointed in the damage. But it is a spanking new template pally with Ilvl 180 gear so…

1 Like

I could try importing mine to test but I’ve been getting sleepy the past few weeks. And honestly cause I doubt much would change if just slapping 120ish extra ilvls on top a 60. Besides at this point you really can’t a feel for characters at any level below max once a new threshold is made.

I toyed with it some on beta and i honestly don’t know what it is, can’t put my finger on it, but it feels really bad to play. Even hitting a target dummy just feels lackluster, boring, weak…i dunno maybe all those things at once. Makes me sad though, i really like my pally on live.

1 Like

Nobody has any idea of what will be “good” because no tuning has been done.

We can make a decent guess and say all 38 specs will be good enough for about 95% of the content in this game as has been the case for the past 8 years or so.

Depends on what you mean good.

if you have a middle of the pack guild of buds plugging away then play what you want and do your best to optimize.

If you are hoping to pug high keys, you may want to wait for tuning.

Agreed . I’m gonna plow through as painful as it might be and hope it gets better.

1 Like

Maybe I should just stick with this Druid and save the token for a rainy day

Ret is so bad that I’m not buying the expansion or playing pre-patch.

Don’t waste your boost! If Ret is near top damage it will be nerfed further.
Devs dont know how to design or play Ret.

Probably a dead spec until next expansion? And probably still dead.

2 Likes

No hyperbole, but Ret is looking to be competing for the title of the worst spec in the game. Tuning aside. It’s a spec that only takes from your group and offer nothing unless you really really need a combat ress. But don’t count on that for reasons mentioned below.

As it stands right now, Ret is a spec heavily dependant of a stationary ground AoE for damage. They are also rewarded for using their utlility for more damage (Shield of Vengence and Blessing of Sacrifice). Their survivability is arguably worst of any melee if Warcraftlogs are anything to go by.
And worst of all, they are massively rewarded for letting their team mates die or take large amount of damage. Meaning they might just let you die and then waste a CR on you for the damage buff they get. Yikes…

So in conclusion. Stay far away from Ret Paladins when making groups.

3 Likes