Ret Paladins, How viable will they be?

he literally said Patchwerk my friend - hence my /guffaw at him

“Nightfall min/maxing isn’t worth it anyways. That uptime only works on a few fights. Most fights aren’t patchwork tank and spanks.”

Afaik, you’ve only proved it to work with a low level weapon from perhaps one of the worst and most annoying dungeons, that only has 3 charges, and an absolute truck load of consumables, and even then it still won’t outperform other specs with the same amount of effort involved in min/maxing.

It’s most definitely not worth the effort for most people. If you want to put forth the effort, more power to you bud, but no progression guild will actively seek out Ret paladins simply because a few people are zealous in their attempt at proving Ret is capable.

Which means the OT could swing Nightfall when it isn’t Patchwerk. That’s how I’m interpreting it.

Because we all know you can’t OT Patchwerk with a Nightfall. Hopefully, right guys?

no one is suggesting that a SPELLADIN try out for an elitist min/max guild - if anything you want to avoid them like the plague if you are anything other than Holy spec

gnomer MCP farming literally takes 5 mins per clear to get to the boss, kill him and reset the instance

rinse

repeat

1 Like

Maybe so, but the effort involved in maintaining the sheer amount of consumables needed to get the level of dps you’ll need to compare to other specs is another thing entirely. It’s this that will be the barrier to entry for most people in even bothering to dps as Ret in raids.

and have really bad uptime on the debuff - we did the math and we looked at every class/spec that can swing Nightfall

if you want to maximize your debuff uptime then you need multiple people swinging it and for Alliance Retribution has the highest uptime plus personal DPS of anyone to do it

sure you can give it to your Fury Warriors for the highest uptime bar none but their personal dps will go down the toilet - it’s not hyperbole - their personal DPS on a PW style fight goes down from a max threshold of ~1800 DPS while dual wielding 2x KT weapons to ~900 DPS while swinging Nightfall

Same with Melee Hunters - they have slightly higher uptime than Retribution but their personal DPS goes even further down the toilet to lol levels

the challenge is what makes it so enjoyable - I’ve never once said going Ret was easy - it is a pain in the butt to make it work on any level

but if we wanted things to be easy, we’d still be playing LOL BFA…

PS MCP farming won’t be needed if Ironfoe goes live with a 10% proc rate so stay tuned my friend!

:joy::joy::joy: Ret

1 Like

1hand Ret spec? Wut?

10 characters

if it goes live with a 10% proc rate it becomes better than KT weapons - same would apply to Fury Warriors

Fixed that for you, read the entire sentence.

yes which is why you want to maximize your Nightfall uptime as much as you can friend - since the OT Warrior swinging Nightfall has the lowest uptime of any class/spec that can swing the axe but is also weaving Annihilator stacks as well

math

I played an Arms Warrior… I understand this pain.

Holy s**t I forgot this actually had happened.

Their meme status arguably is why playing with two back then was so much fun, I have FOND memories of those two Ret pallies especially because both of them were a delight to be around and carried their weight.

I played one too as an alt. Never got invited to any PuG’s, which always struck me as odd since I did just fine in my guild raids. I did my part, we killed the bosses, and nobody had any problems with it.

Just goes to show how community perception is often a little bit of truth under an ocean of hyperbole. If there is anything constant in all of WoW’s history, it is this.

It was great fun, and didn’t really pop up until some time after SoO during that great content drought. I suspect similar sort of things will happen in classic, where players get experimental and start actually playing the game for fun rather than stressing out of meters.

My point is that high uptime is only possible on fights like Patch. On every fight that isn’t a tank and spank, even ret and hunters will have garbage uptime, so it’s not worth having a dedicated NF player. Just give it to OTs and be done with it.

Doubt they will use pserver numbers.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070821131917/http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=11684

Keep in mind you can only run 5 times per hour. Meaning 30 minutes running it followed by 30 minutes waiting/playing an alt/another game. At a 40% drop rate, you would need to run it 25 times in order to have 1 for each boss in MC, plus another couple times for Ony. Once BWL launches that’s another 20 gnomer runs, up to almost 50 runs per week

Wasn’t it 10 until the big bot wave in Pandaria?

Why play it as written when you can have 40 people throwing an Engineering bomb? I can certainly see it happening.

1 Like

I know you are arguing against it but I now want to commission a art piece of a Paladin just sitting in a pile of MCP’s with a crazed look in his/her eyes.

On the Casual scene if it doesn’t turn out to be a toxic wastefest, most certainly you’ll see people probably experiment around some to see what wacky things could work if only for the meme potential.