Resto Shaman in M+

Anyone else having a tough time getting into M+ (12+) as a resto shaman. It seems they are looking for S tier healers, which I understand. Im Ilvl 390 and I get declined every single time. I feel like our buffs weren’t enough to compete with Evokers and Druids healing.

But they make up for it with the dps they can generate
Many teams like to see high dps and healing performance.

Its your IO, im a ilvl 400 resto shaman and i get into 15-18’s all the time. Also theres not a lot of 12s being run in general. Theyre lower keys that most people dont want to do.

Interesting, I thought 12 would be considered mid range, but I see your point. You feel competent healing in those?

Do you mean DPS while they are healing, I feel my 2k DPS while trying to heal the whole team is hardly contributory.

1 Like

Currently you can achieve a lot of dps through Acid Rain.
Literally all Rshammys do an awful lot of dps with said talent/spell.
(at least you could do about 15k possibly)

They still get ran, the problem is the people running them should be in the 2-7 range because they’re bad.

The buffs were basically a slap in the face. It didn’t address anything, our kit isn’t designed for M+, I’m a Resto Shaman main, switched to Evoker nearly 2800 IO.

The issue I’m finding the difference between is Evoker is way more PuG friendly, I just purely PuG my keys, and Evokers and Druids kits are designed better.

I find Resto doesn’t have the tools anymore to handle m+ aswell as Druid and Evoker. Tank or dps makes a mistake We have externals for them, Resto Shaman currently has zero externals, It’s actually the only Healer Spec without one.

Evoker - Time Dilation.
Druid - Ironbark.
Holy Paladin - Blessing of Sacrifice, Blessing of Protection and lay on hands.
Holy Priest - Guardian Spirit, PW: Life.
Disc Priest - Pain Supression, PW: Life.
Mistweaver - Life Cocoon.

Resto Shaman has none, also another issue a lot of our abilities require stacking which in most keys it’s hard to stay put, kiting is king, and most mechanics require movement or spreading.

Even when I dps, I’d never choose a Resto Shaman for a PuG group. I’m not crazy and prefer to time the key. So many classes do what Resto Shaman does but better, more healing, easier to play and a lot more forgiving.

Lust was our thing, but with so many classes bring Lust why bring a Shaman.

If you have a dps Shaman they literally bring the exact same utility as Resto, so we are not needed. Not to mention all our CDs are locked to 3 min, Personally Ascendence should minimum be 2 min.

Look at Paladins, Atleast Holy brings Devotion Aura, a huge 3% DR making it unique from Ret.

Seriously Resto Shaman needs a huge revamp.

5 Likes

pvp/pve rest shaman is bad all this changes will not help rest shaman this all nerf
please read below this person make sense

20 posts

70 Highmountain Tauren Shaman[25665]

I’ll start with stuff I’d like to see changed (sorry, this might be a little long), followed with some feedback on the newly-added talents at the bottom.

Class Tree:

1. The number one issue as a resto shaman is you really want to play 2 capstones in a raid setting, which means you are extremely limited on talent points. A very standard resto shaman build in raid is essentially locked in on 30/31 Class points, and the 10.0.7 update hasnt solved that. The primary reason for this is because of Totemic Recall + Earthen Wall Totem - I like this interaction, however I’m not a fan that it’s stripped shaman of a lot of its utility because the talent points to get it are so costly
  2. The loss of Focused Insight will definitely impact resto shamans mana pool (and throughput) quite considerably. Good shamans were using Flame Shock upwards of 5 times a minute, so there will need to be some healing and mana changes to compensate losing this. I do agree though, that Resto Shaman has too many modifiers currently, and this is one that can go if spells are compensated slightly.
  3. The Swirling Currents change feels worse for every scenario except specifically for a raiding resto shaman. I understand the want to reduce the number of modifiers (and agree, it was getting out of hand) however this one in particular did not feel intrusive to the specs playstyle and is something I think would be fine reverting.

Spec Tree:

1. There are too many nodes in the top section of the tree. Resto druid has 11 different nodes (all 1 point each), Preservation evoker has 9 different nodes (all 1 point each), Holy paladin has 11 different nodes (all 1 point each) - Resto shaman has 13 nodes and 3 of them are 2 talent points. It’s impossible to not spend a bunch of your points just in this top section, which further limits what you can take in the middle/lower sections of the tree.
  2. Flash Flood needs replaced - this talent is currently not used in any content, and was only used in PvP in BfA + Shadowlands because of the issues with the previous talent trees.
  3. Improved Primordial Wave is not taken in any content unless you want to path to Continuous Waves or Tumbling Waves. This talent either needs buffed or (preferably) scrapped.
  4. Improved Earthliving Weapon is not taken in PvE content. I believe this talent is taken in pvp (and pvpers correct me on the reasoning if im wrong here) primarily for dispel protection on low hp targets. The additional healing this talent does is very poor, especially for 2 talent points.
  5. Torrent needs to be 1 talent point. Every other talent in the middle section is 1 point, and Torrent has been worth ~1% healing per point spent for this tier. It makes it really hard to path through if it stays 2 talent points, especially with the newly-added Healing Tide and Mana Tide upgrades you may want to get.
  6. Earthen Harmony shouldnt gatekeep Ascendance, and Deeply Rooted Elements shouldnt be separated from Ascendance. Instead, I’d rather see Ascendance take place of Earthen Harmony, and then put Deeply Rooted Elements (or an even better upgrade to Ascendance) below Ascendance, similar to both the Elemental and Enhancement trees.
  7. Water Totem Mastery doesn’t feel good to path through. You only take this because it’s mandatory to get to Cloudburst Totem/Living Stream Totem.
  8. Of all of the modifiers that resto shaman has, I think Master of the Elements is probably my least favorite. I understand it’s very good for damage in a M+ setting, however you’re often using it to buff Healing Rain (Acid Rain), which means you’re casting Lava Burst in AoE roughly every 10 seconds, which makes it feel really intrusive.
  9. I think the Spec tree (especially in the ‘capstone’ area) needs more impactful passive buffs. Shaman suffers from a lot of button bloat, and the middle and especially the capstone area adds a lot of new buttons to the spec. I think the 4pc bonus from Sepulcher of the First ones would make a great addition as a 2-point talent somewhere in the capstone area, as well as the 4pc from Antorus, which could also be a 2-point passive. There are many things you could put in this area, but they need to be good enough to warrant sometimes picking over Downpour, or Primordial wave for example, not things like Improved Primordial Wave or Improved Earthliving Weapon.
  10. Wellspring nerf needs reverted. Wellspring (and downpour) are both in a scenario where as soon as they’re worse than Chain Heal you simply stop pressing them. The 30% nerf to Wellspring would do just that, and Wellspring currently is not overperforming compared to the rest of the nodes at the bottom of the talent tree, or compared to other healers abilities (Dream Breath for example is nearly double the amount of healing of Wellspring).

New stuff in 10.0.7

1. Tidebringer feels good - this isn’t something I always see myself playing, but will be an incredible pick up on fights that require you to spread out a bit more like Halondrus. This is exactly the type of passive talent I was hoping to see added to the tree.
  2. Spiritwalker’s Tidal Totem - I wasn’t a huge fan of the legendary back in Shadowlands, but as a talent that you can easily swap out I think this is a fine addition, and could see myself using it occasionally. It currently does not work on the PTR, though
  3. Mana Tide Totem Bonus - I realize this is a work in progress, however I do think the main reason I’m not too stoked about this bonus is because the standard Mana Tide Totem just isnt very good. Spending a talent point to buff something that isn’t very good doesn’t feel very good, but if the base spell of Mana Tide Totem was a bit better then this would be something I could see myself taking.
  4. Current Control - Really like the addition of cooldown reduction for Healing Tide Totem, however I don’t think 30 sec is enough to warrant picking in most scenarios. There aren’t many encounters that operate around 2.5 minute damage timers, so this talent would be incredibly niche. If this reduced HTT’s CD by 60 seconds like Inner Peace for druid, we could at least fit 2min damage timers much better, which would be wonderful.
  5. Tide Turner - I dont think this is near powerful enough to warrant picking except maybe in a PvP scenario? The key issue with Healing Tide Totem is that it’s weak in a raid setting, the 10.0.5 change already made it a bit more of an impactful CD in M+ and PvP, so I think this talent needs to simply buff the healing of HTT in general, not just on a single target.

TLDR: These changes didn’t really fix the core issues with the shaman tree, although I’m glad to see a few of the dead talents (Ever-Rising Tide and Nature’s Focus) gone. I think as it stands though, this was a nerf compared to what resto shaman was before.

1 Like