Requesting More Dev Communication about Classic Era

When I browse these forums, one thing that has stood out to me for a while is that we don’t know what the devs are currently focused on or what’s coming next.

I know things must be a bit shaken up with Brian resigning in protest. Maybe it’s not my place, but I think communication is most important when things are uncertain.

There are so many things we are curious about. Is there anything you can talk to us about? Thanks for reading. I’m still keeping a candle lit for this game and I don’t think I’m alone in that.

19 Likes

They just fired classic team lead for not writing a bad review. They don’t have customer service anymore cuse no one wants to get burned.

5 Likes

for not writing a bad review? please give us the rundown :expressionless:

1 Like

We do have communication in discord from one of the producers of Classic Era named “Aggrend”. While there are no concreate set in stone plans, he at times will discuss their thought process and ideas going forward with us. While some don’t like this venue, it is what it is.

The concept he stood up against is widely known as incredibly ineffective and is even in my old business class text books as just bad business practices 101. Microsoft even got rid of stack ranking back in 2013 due to it creating such a toxic work environment, and even microsoft says it contributed, and many teach that, it was one of the sole reasons for microsoft’s 10 year slump in the 2000s.

I assume most won’t actually take a lot of this to heart and do their own research, but felt I should at least speak up a little for those who may want a starting point of understanding without being misled.

6 Likes

What do you want them to say? An announcement for phase 7 classic era?

The point of era was always to be a graveyard for your classic 2019 toons, a museum piece nothing more.

anything new they experiment with will be done on fresh servers, like SoM. era will be kept as is

It would certainly be nice if this forum had a dedicated CM that popped in every once in a while.

4 Likes

Phase 7/Classic+ is not compatible with Classic Era and that is why nobody reasonable would suggest it. Some suggestions for Classic Era (and the reason it could use attention) are repeatable World Buff quests and annual Scourge Invasion.

Oh they taught this in basic classes in 4 year uni (not gonna state which uni as I don’t wish to dox myself), but I do agree ABK obviously wants someone who lined up with their toxic practice of stack ranking. It really isn’t bis for any company though.

A lot of people think it just means “grading on a scale” in a sense, and it is far from that. It is a “forced” scale.

Person 1: 99%
Person 2: 96%
Person 3: 96% (Change their score to 90%)
Person 4: 96% (Change their score to 74%)
Person 5: 95% (Change their score to 49%)

While Persons 3-5 made VERY good scores, they are being forced to take lower scores to complete the bell graph.

Because of this, now Persons 3-5 will also get less profit sharing as a “bonus” therefore making less money than that of Person 2 even though they had relatively the same scores.

Now that Persons 4-5 have shown issues in their work (by fabricated scores), they will now receive disciplinary action from their superiors and bad marks on their records.

Because of this they will now be out of the running for any promotions that Person 2 may be up for even though they performed at the same level.

This now affects them in their future careers with other companies as well.

This is all due the stack ranking FORCING bell curves in workforce performance whether their is one or not. Employees pay, advancement opportunities, and future prospects all come into risk because they are forced to take a lower score than they actual earned to fit the stack ranking model.

Nobody is arguing that if they performed less than par they should be ranked lower, but the fact is that people who perform well and above their duties are being forced to take an underperforming score.

When companies use this system VERY unethically (I don’t know how Blizzard us this) they will give these arbitrarily lower scored to minorities and women in the workplace.

In THIS scenario, the company will hire at the beginning of a year to fill diversity quotas to get bigger tax cuts and/or stipends (depending on the state); then when the evaluation come in, they simply give all those minorities and women lower scores for a reason to fire them. This allows companies to take money from the government and/or governmental departments for diversity and then fire them immediately (essentially legal fraud).

The list can actually go on with amount of shady crap you can do with this system as it is essentially lying to your workforce.

One last thing that happens a lot (which if you do some google research happened at Microsoft years ago) is it dropping a companies overall performance and ambition.

Many higher performing employees will simply join a very underperforming team and simply “coast by” since they know they will ALWAYS get the top performance evaluation on the said team. This is where the toxicity and laziness comes into play actually HURTING the company itself.

There is a lot more you can really go into with this system, but this is already a VERY long post as is. I don’t mean this as being aggressive either, it is just something I have always abhorred about the corporate world, and seeing my childhood gaming company employ this is just depressing to me.

3 Likes

It should be telling that Microsoft, the entity in the process of purchasing ABK, got rid of the practice of stack ranking in 2013. It’s not bis.

It did. Ythisens was very active about Classic. They fired him along with 800 other people before Classic even launched.

The intern can barely keep up as it is, give them a break

I think a lot of the hardcore community (which is a pretty big % of era) is wanting an official hardcore realm as well.

I guess they didnt do well in their scaled employee reviews.

The February 2019 layoffs were across the entirety of Activision-Blizzard. The cuts at Blizzard were around 210 positions.

Bro, it’s all on cruise control until Daddy Microsoft takes over, sets new goals, and provides structure.