Reopen classic era character copies

Every so often, I open a ticket begging for blizzard to bring back the ability to copy our original classic 2019 characters to classic era servers. I’m always told to post somewhere my voice will be heard & that with enough of a community outcry it’s certainly possible. This tells me that the level 60 snapshots of our characters are 100% still saved, and there is no technical reason as to why blizzard couldn’t allow us even if only for a limited time, to go back & copy our characters.

THE ONLY WAY WE WILL SEE THIS RETURN WILL BE THROUGH AN OVERWHELMING COMMUNITY VOICE - Make forum posts, reddit, tweet @ blizzard, ingame suggestions, etc etc. GM responses to my tickets really have got much more positive/ encouraging about getting it changed as a community rather than just “the character copy feature has been removed” so I really do think we have grounds to get this changed if enough of us show a desire for the service to return. :pray:

6 Likes

That ship has sailed.

1 Like

The Character Clone service has been retired . All clones that were not activated before July 26, 2022 were deleted.

If you didn’t clone during the, roughly, year long period where clones were available you are out of luck. All characters not cloned were moved to Wrath.
There is no “hidden” character data or anything to restore.

Good luck with your efforts to rally the masses to your cause. Something tells me it might be easier to just reroll, but I still commend you for your efforts and enthusiasm!

Just give me fresh classic. I don’t want to play on 5 year old Naxxramas server.

3 Likes

No they weren’t. I can almost guarantee that’s a straight up lie. It would cost them basically nothing to keep a few gigabytes of data stored away for a rainy day. They’re probably waiting until Era dies down a bit more to reintroduce the character clone service.

2 Likes

You are right they were not deleted, they were progressed to wrath. There is nothing to copy backwards to as the realms they were on originally are now wrath realms.

1 Like

I find it highly unlikely they deleted the Era versions of everyone’s characters that didn’t copy. The potential loss of revenue would be much higher than the cost of storing them for an indefinite period of time. And we should all know by now Blizzsoft is all about the :money_mouth_face: :moneybag: :dollar: :credit_card:

2 Likes

Reread, there was no delete. Those characters were progressed as were the servers. Those versions of your characters still exist on wrath realms, nothing was deleted and there is nothing to restore.

If the Era versions of people’s characters are truly unavailable then they were deleted. The copy service did not create anything that didn’t already exist. It just made it available to you.

They are available in wrath. They were not deleted. they were progressed forward to wrath.

I blame reddit for all this hope.
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/15z82hz/character_restoration/

1 Like

The Classic Era versions were purged from the system. They’re gone.

They weren’t purged, they were progressed forward. Nothing was deleted. There is nothing to restore.

I understand you mean the same thing I do, but non-specific wording is going to add to the issue for those who refuse to accept reality.

All you people could have got BIS on 2 characters by now instead of begging for character copies. Yall obviously dont enjoy classic enough to play it.

3 Likes

They were deleted.

There were versions in TBC and Vanilla. When the cloning system was retired, the untouched Classic Era versions were deleted and their TBC version automatically activated.

This is not correct. nothing was deleted. The characters were progressed as the servers were progressed. Nothing was deleted. There are CS posts and blue posts about this to reference if you do not believe me.

Saying “deleted” gives people that small fraction of cope to hang on that things can be restored. Their characters are still there, waiting in wrath for them. You had one free clone to activate and that was it.

EDIT: I see the confusion, and I understand it now. The FREE CLONE was deleted, not the original character.

" The Character Clone service has been [retired]. All clones that were not activated before July 26, 2022 were deleted. Customer Service cannot restore deleted clones or transfer active clones to different game versions.

If you had a WoW Classic character and you never chose to activate it in either WoW Classic or Burning Crusade Classic, then the Burning Crusade Classic (now Wrath of the Lich King Classic) version of your character has automatically been activated and will be available for play.

Names can be used again once the Clone has been deleted."

You’re wrong.

Before TBC launched all the servers were cloned. Then the first time you logged in you had the choice to activate the Classic Era version of the character or the TBC version. Or pay to unlock both.

Both clones existed in both games already, and continued to exist until the cloning service was retired. Under the hood, but they were there. All the names were still occupied. Then when the cloning service was closed all the Classic Era versions who hadn’t been activated were deleted, and the TBC version automatically activated. That’s also when all those names became available again in Classic Era, since there characters were now gone.

3 Likes

Almost like I edited my discrepancy when I figured it out.