#removesearingnightmare

#removesearingnightmare

yeah I’ve never pushed searing nightmare as Disc Holy or Shadow…not sure why its there…

Its there… to provide shadow some on demand burst dps because on a 15 man pull by the time we dot everything up most of the trash is dead.

Sadly it was clunky and distasteful to use. A better way is needed

#removesearingnightmare

So what about this idea…

Make Damnation a Choice talent. Then add my dot spreader talent idea…

Searing Contagion

• Damnation
    Instantly afflicts the target with Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague. 45 sec cooldown.

OR (Choice)

• Searing Contagion
    Your next Mind Sear will spread all your damage over time effects up to 8 targets. 60 second cooldown. Shadowy Apparitions reduce the cooldown by 1 second on hit.

So basically you apply whatever dots on the target, then activate Searing Contagion which will empower your next Mind Sear to spread all your damage over time effects to every target up to 8. Then to reduce the cooldown, your Shadowy Apparitions (if you pick talent) will reduce the cooldown by 1 second per Shadowy Apparition that hits / reaches it target.

Numbers can be tweaked, but what do you all think of this concept of an ability?

I think it fits in a choice talent with Damnation since they both will have a decent cooldown and both essentially applies all 3 dots. But one is instant and the other is channeled / instant and requires you to pre dot. Meaning you cant just go 0-100 instantly, you have to at least use 1 GCD (with Misery) to get SW:P and VT on the target before you can spread. Then you have to have the insanity to apply DP for that to spread. Meaning you might need to build up a little bit of insanity before you choose to start going all out.

2 Likes

This damn spell is the reason why I benched my Priest in Shadowlands.

2 Likes

This actually would make Mind Sear more of a priority for me, but it is a competitive channeling skill to Mind Flay.

Keep in mind, it will only spread the damage over time spells only once then the 60 sec cooldown starts. If your lucky with lots of Auspicious spirits rolling out and mobs left to hit, can get the cooldown short enough to be ready for next pull.

But I imagine you can use this empowered dot spreader version of Mind Sear once per AOE fight. At least that’s how imo it should be balanced around.

I also dislike Searing Nightmare and this spell is the main reason I am not enjoying m+ as much anymore.

Also wish that our dots can go back to playing a bigger role in aoe situations but yet avoid the situation of ramp.

I understand Blizz wants to keep dot dmg in check to prevent spread cleave dmg from getting out of hand, so maybe add a talent that increases dot dmg by X % when targets are within Y yards from each other and the more mobs there are, the harder they tick? Will this solve the problem of the dotting ramp?

Also can add another talent that improves our apparitions during mass aoe situations, explode on contact or something.

Or let Shadow Crash have an enhanced Mastery effect where it hits way way harder for each additional dot. This also incentivizes the need to cast dots and can help with ramp.

I just want to see more synergy with our core spells and not have talents that buff Mind Flay.

With the advent of how broken the cleave is for Devastation Evoker, I propose the following for spriest:

1. Remove Searing Nightmare
  2. Replace with: release a cone hitting all enemies in a 30 yard cone with SWP and VT for 75% duration. 20 second CD.

I got you

• Moved Unleash the Shadows from row 9 & Added an AOE modifier to it
    • Unleash the Shadows
      Vampiric Touch critical strikes have a 5/10% to create a Shadowy Apparition. In addition, your Shadowy Apparitions now explode for 50% additional damage within 5 yards when they hit there target.

Does anyone actually use Shadow Crash for AOE? Is it even a fun button to press? If it wasn’t for PvP line of sighting and using Shadow Crash to keep people in combat around a pillar, I can’t see how anyone would use this talent in this fast pace modern era of wow with that slow launch of a missile from Shadow Crash.

Is this with utilizing the new skill shot mechanic the Evoker has? It should have a cast time as well. At least 2 sec or more imo. Also I think the CD is too short. But I get what your trying to accomplish I think.

1 Like

Searing Nightmare just plays so bad… wether it is with DoTs, Shadowflame prism, or just by itself.

Personally, i’d like to see Thought Harvester come back, and a slightly altered Twin’s Painfull Touch, e.g. instead of being activated by Voidform, it’s activated by casting DP. Would work nicely with Idol of N’Zoth, Psychic Link, and the Shadowy Apparition talents.

Just curious, did you do the math on that? Assuming 20% crit 2 out 10, 1 out of ten of those will proc a appriation. Aka 2% 2 out of 100 vt ticks will proc an appriation, that tallent definelty needs something added to it.

I don’t do balancing. I think more about the ideas of interaction and gameplay loops.
I basically say that in the disclaimer.

The “idea” behind that interaction is that all your Shadowy Apparitions will now AOE regardless the source. I worded that part carefully.

Originally I had it like this…

• Unleash the Shadows
    Vampiric Touch critical strikes have a 5/10% to create a Shadowy Apparition that explode for 50% additional damage within 5 yards when they hit there target.

But now it’s this…

• Unleash the Shadows
    Vampiric Touch critical strikes have a 5/10% to create a Shadowy Apparition. In addition, your Shadowy Apparitions now explode for 50% additional damage within 5 yards when they hit there target.

So now knowing the intent, how would you word it differently to be less confusing? Because obviously my goal of it being clear enough has failed lol.

So kind of like Insanity from WoD?
What if we had a talent choice option between Insanity & Thought Harvester?

That way we always have some meaningful hard hitting ability right after using Devouring Plague in either Single Target (Mind Flay) or Multi Target (Mind Sear).

And we can get closer to WoD days of gameplay… it’s almost like WoD gameplay was good WoW Devs lol.

I benched my priest in shadowlands despite ending bfa with it as my main for a number of reasons. Searing nightmare and the spriest m+ experience were two of the biggest ones. I’d also like spriest to go back to being a dot focused class rather then this weird single target cooldown based damage dealer that it became, because I like dot based classes.

No i was saying the talent because of how weak it is need something like, apologies poor wording.

The critical effect chance of 5/10% is Blizzards iteration.
I just added the AOE damage effect applied to Shadowy Apparitions to that for a couple of reasons, one of those reasons because of the low crit effect it has. However, in my alternative talent tree, I’ve moved and added talents around to grant imo better access to those throughput crit talents and even adding Mind Melt from old that increase crit chance on Mind Spells and Shadow Power that increase the crit damage of all shadow spells.

The way I would like to see and how I structure my version of shadows talent tree is having your core abilities on the top 1/3 of the tree, having your throughput and interaction enhancement abilities in the middle 1/3 and having spec defining gameplay options the bottom 1/3 where you are pretty much forced to either go left or right side or a hybrid of going in the middle and then most likely getting more of the middle 1/3 talents.

At least that is my intent.

Edit:

I would say if Vampiric Touch was limited to a single target then the 5/10% critical effect to spawn an Shadowy Apparition does seem quite weak. But that talent is not meant to be a single target type of talent, that would be for cleave and multi target moments. For a group size of like 5+ all having VT on them + the 15% chance to critical strike for VT and SW:P from Abyssal Knowledge will imo give you plenty of critical strikes and spawning an army of Shadow Apparitions.

All I want for christmas is cascade.

1 Like