Remove Auction House automation

I bet you believe the reason they implemented CRZ was so people could play cross realm with their friends, too, and not because they’ve been leaking the playerbase like a sieve.

they actually stated they did that because they wanted the world to look more populated. But go ahead keep on making up bs, it is sort of amusing.

As I’m sure they’ll state the reasons for the AH switch down the road too when people realize the original assertion was BS

Blizzard actually did admit that their servers were having difficulty with the way some addons were literally in a constant state of refreshing. It was causing the AH on some servers to grind to a halt.

That’s why they changed how the AH works and introduced some hard-coded cool-downs on searches.

wrong. it’s not “useless” to them, it’s just not a reliable way for them to make gold.

the AH is essentially a market-based pvp minigame. not everyone is going to be a big winner all the time. that’s not a possible outcome.

2 Likes

So…if I log into the classic servers they’ll be using this new system then instead of the original?

you seem to have forgotten there were a tiny fraction of the items available to post on the auction house in classic in comparison to all the items accumulated over 8 expansions.

I don’t believe that they implemented the new system in Classic. I don’t personally play Classic, so I’m not 100% sure.

But the discussion here is about Retail anyway.

I remember prior to Blizz admitting there was an issue, I used to reply to all sorts of posts in the CS forums saying the same thing you’re saying. That it couldn’t possibly be on Blizzard’s end. I was quite surprised when they actually announced that it was.

I tried to find the original Blizz post, but there are a LOT of posts regarding the AH. If I stumble across it, I’ll link it here.

I’m not sure either so I’m currently downloading TBC classic to check. But since we know from what we’ve been told, the classic servers aren’t actually the same as they were originally since a lot of the code was lost and had to be reverse engineered, it’d go to reason if the old AH system was causing problems they’d then implement the new system on the classic servers to avoid those issues. So the comparison applies to the discussion.

You do understand how small that information actually is right? We’re talking KB and MB at most. The visuals such as icons, models, and skins for these items are stored client side which is why OUR game files are measured in GB.

and so you think 1000 addons scanning 100k items and 1000 addons scanning 5k items makes no difference to that auction house?

please share what you do think it is the issue then than made blizzard change the auction house.

Except we already established the old system worked when we had roughly 10x the playerbase, so there was definitely more than 1000 addons scanning, and on worse hardware to boot.

In light of everything coming to light about the internal affairs at Blizzard my best guess is office politics, and while it may seem so petty a reason, people are pretty petty and we’re learning that those working at Blizzard have been some of the pettiest.

Even before the automated tools, people spending hours doing manual cancel/scans were dominating the auction houses.
Turns out that if you devote the vast majority of your play time to doing something, you get more rewards out of that activity. Who knew?

2 Likes

Just use blizz approved auction bots.

well that’s what you claim but I am rather doubtful your classic servers had more players than stormrage has at the start of the expansion. Stormrage is a full server btw. Plus you continue to ignore the fact that those addons are pulling information on so many items (regardless of whatever size they make up).

I thought you had already answered that and I just ignored you the first time because it seemed useless.

So what’s the consensus?

Automated AH = ease of use, avearge player choosing not use addon at a significant disadvantage.

Manual Auction House = tedious interface, level playing feild.

I won’t try to predict what it would do to costs because I just don’t know enough to offer an opinion on that part. I somehow think it would improve.

Sorry but I think I like the remastered AH. I’d rather just dump everything in there at chump prices in under a minute then buy the amounts of gold I actually need, than play the AH like it’s a side game, especially if we had to go back to the “less automated” version just kill me before I’d get into that.

Cause that’s what this is sounding like, someone’s mad they aren’t making as much gold as they think they should. Key words, think they should. Me I expect nothing from the AH so I’m happy with whatever I get, ffs callings are a better source of gold than casually selling stuff you find or whatever.

1 Like

Incorrect. I quit doing the AH before the remastering. It’s a simple issue. The addon lets you have an extreme advantage over the player who doesn’t use it.

2 Likes

Honestly, it’d be a non-issue if there were MUCH steeper penalties to cancelling auctions, such as posting lockouts or progressively more expensive posting fees the more someone cancels.

1 Like

I don’t see the average player being at a disadvantage for not using an ah addon - if you are posting 100s of listing sure but that isn’t what the average player does. That is someone who is working that ah.

I post a bunch of gear from farming on the weekend and during the week only a handful of items and I don’t consider myself at a disadvantage not using an addon.

how - you post 10 items how is an addon helping the other person gain an extreme advantage.