Remove all quest trackers?

Your right about that. I remember in Durotar a few weeks back reading I need to find a cave “to the north and the west” and wandering around till I found it. Yeeah. I just wanted to get the scoop on retail and the battle for ardenweald was kind of fast and I was just ripping through it and then I’d get on a bug and fly, then kill stiff glowing and it was good and all, but ehh. Last night was the first time I played retail since tbc Launched and I’m a WoD baby so I’m just looking to find a balance between the two experiences.

Thank you, I’ve turned off all I saw and I track stiff, I’ll re check settings because I still see blue zones and treasure chests as yellow dots.
Also nice to know someone else was trying this recently. It’s much appreciated

Wait for Shadowlands where the quest text is the worst it’s ever been.

Imgur

I use ElvUI so it’s possible the tracking menu is altered, but it seems pretty default to me.

And like I said, unless you find something else, you’ll have to manually untrack quests after you grab them to hide the golden directional arrow.

You could also consider hiding the minimap and using the Battlefield Map (Shift + M) as a replacement, since it doesn’t have that sort of helpful information, but resizing that is awkward (basically just console commands to change the scale – /run BattlefieldMapFrame:SetScale(1.7)) and zooming in on it is kind of iffy once you mess with the scale (it zooms as if it were still 1.0). Grab MoveAnything or something to put it somewhere that makes sense if you try that.

Heh, the original vanilla quest text was actually worse than you probably even see in classic. Throughout vanilla, they tried to add location details for quests that were notoriously confusing.

Finding some quest targets actually became a running joke in zone chat (like Mankrik’s Wife).

I was literally going to bring this up to your reply, before I saw you added it there in the end. I covered the Barens OVER and OVER looking for her, I had that quest so long I coulnd abandon it even. I legit felt I owed it to Mandrik to find her.

I like them. Before, I always had to visit Wowhead to find where the quest objective was.

I’m pretty sure you can tirn off the new navigation thingy but I’m not sure if you can turn off the quest markers completely

OP, you should have played Everquest back in the day. When there was no in-game help for quests. No minimap. Also, you had to use trigger words in dialogue.

“What are these quest trackers you speak of?”

The end result was people had to turn to Allakhazam and Thotbot (Everquest’s version of Wowhead) to keep from going mad.

1 Like

Sounds fun. I like that idea of dialong clues, using “Mankirks wife” as an example i remember it said words like Tauren settlement and along the golden road and it was annoying and fun at the same time .

Maybe its an “Age” thing. I just feel like im not engaging. And yes to Failea, I can turn off navigations and stuff its the minimap zones and stuff thats bothering me. I played into Korthia up to the first 3 dailies, is there alot waiting for me after this point? I might just call it a patch unless theres alot of stuff like in Mecha-done Meta achieve for me to work toward

the worst part of quest helper back then was having to unzip it to the wow folder lol.

Ive heard my wife tell me stories of vanilla and waiting days for even the game to install on the ol’ family PC. I wish i was into WoW back then. Im a WoD noob

I played a paladin in Everquest. And I don’t mind telling you, finding the quests that led to the Fiery Avenger was pretty exciting at the time.

… On the other hand, the next 2 years of killing the same dragons over and over and over again for book halves was not.

You sa

dont lie, you enjoyed it. haha. I cant speak anything about Everquest, but I do like in TBCC the low quest item drop rate. It keeps you wondering and excited to a degree, and really makes you re-think if your even on the right path. Its a strange thing or its a mentality thing, Cant quite put my finger on what it is exactly but it FEELS like its more to do when in reality its just a throttle. And its Totally a different throttle feeling in Classic than in Retail. I dont even notice it in TBCC.

Was getting the book halfs worth it though?

The first Lord Nagafen (fire dragon) and Lady Vox (ice dragon) fights? Yeah… I enjoyed those. Falling in the lava in Sol B and dying? Fire Giant and Ice Giant trains? Tackling Nagafen short-handed running a friend’s warrior as a main tank and being the last person alive and killing the dragon the moment it killed me?

Those are moments I’ll treasure forever. Waiting a year and a half to get the frozen book half from Gorenaire in Kunark and waiting another six months hoping to find Severilous or Talendor up between Nagafen kills? Yeah, I finally had a friend take pity on me and hand me the burnt book half. Still a good moment. Don’t get me wrong.

But a lot of Everquest’s epic quests brought to mind that old Tom Petty song: The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

You weren’t really a Paladin in EQ unless you had some kind of Holy Sword. Ghoulbane, Soulfire, Fiery Avenger, Fiery Defender, Nature’s Defender, and later as expansions drug on Nightbane. More than even the gear the weapon you had was your biggest status symbol. So yes. Very much worth it.

1 Like