Rematch Restore Issue

My sister is a pet battle fiend, and saved many teams in Rematch. Her laptop got some variety of virus, and for safety’s sake I decided to reformat. I couldn’t log into wow to export her pet teams in the normal way, so I backed up the whole WTF folder to an external drive. Just for good measure, I also backed up the cache and addon folders.

Nuked the drive’s contents and reinstalled everything, but Rematch has resisted all my efforts to restore her teams. I’ve copied her old rematch.lua file to overwrite her fresh install. I’ve deleted all addons from the new install of wow, and copied the entire old addon and wtf folders. Nothing has worked. Not a single team. She’s upset to have lost all her teams - she had over a hundred. At this point, I’m at a loss. Unless I’ve missed something, I’ve done exactly what I was supposed to, but for some reason am getting nothing. Does anyone have any ideas or insights? Cuz I got nothin’.

Strange, cause I regularly update the Rematch.lua on my laptop from the main one on my desktop.

Sounds like you’re doing it right, so will just repeat what I do

In your World of Warcraft folder, it’s the retail version /WTF/Account/(name of your sisters account/SavedVariables/Rematch.lua that needs to be replaced. It’ll be a pretty big file, mine is 114k.

This assumes she’s already fired up WoW once after doing her reinstall.

Don’t need to worry about the Rematch.lua.bak file.

3 Likes

Also, you’re probably already doing this but just to cover all bases: make sure you’re entirely out of the game when you copy the file over. When you logout/reload, anything the game wants to update in the SavedVariables folder is deleted and overwritten. So anything you copy into the SavedVariables folder while logged in will never be used by the game (if the game wanted to update it).

3 Likes

Figured it out! Thank you both for responding; it reassured me I was following the correct process, which meant I must have overlooked a detail somewhere. I had opened the rematch.lua file before, and it seemed way too short…yeah, it was all of 3kb. Mine on my laptop is 18kb, and I don’t have that many teams. So I did a bit more digging, and it turned out that the correct rematch.lua on her old hard drive was under MY account name’s SavedVariables folder, and was 80kb. I’d forgotten that when I set up her laptop, I’d installed wow under my account so I could get it set up ASAP. Must’ve set up the addons under my account as well, though it still seems odd that the pet teams she set up under her account ended up in my SavedVariables. Particularly since after initial setup, I never logged into my account on her laptop again.

But the point is, the issue is resolved! Thank you both, and she thanks you too :smiley:

2 Likes