Reload macros without reloading everything else?

Is there a way to reload JUST the “macros-cache.txt” file? I know I can do a “/reload” command to reload all the ui, addons, macros, etc., but I’m looking for a way to just reload the macros and that’s it.

Why: I like having a separate set of macros per spec and I will swap specs depending on the situation. I’d rather not use the [spec] conditional as it takes up space in the macro.

Nope.

10char

Just curious - what kind of macros are you using where the [spec] mod runs into space issues?

I have all my abilities bound to 12 keys (1 - =) and with more than 12 skills/abilities, I use mod on most/all of them to cover everything. Sometimes I will fill a macro close enough or right at the 255 limit that the [spec] conditional and matching skill(s) will often take up 2-4 times the space.

PS: I’m OP, just had wrong character selected when I posted and don’t know how to change original.

Seems… intensive.

That said, Druids do have the most specs, and if you intend to run all of them, and use three or more overlapping skills on a given macro with complex targeting… I guess I can see it.

I cover all 4 specs with the available character specific slots
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/macros-condensing-your-physical-keys/678238

I’m still super curious what exactly is being used to hit near the 255 mark without spec specifiers. Cascading targeting with full ctrl/alt/shift/crtalt/crtlshift/altshift/ctrlaltshift mods?

What IS the biggest macro you currently use that prompts the swapping of whole macro-cache?

While I’m not the OP, it’s really not that hard, especially on druids. Between talent and form conditionals (not to mention your autounshift toggles for feral) and you’re butting up against the limit fairly fast even for only one spec. (And, if you try to make use of the form bars to avoid using the form conditionals in macros, you’ll very quickly run out of macro slots.)

Here’s one of my macros for feral that clocks in over the limit:

#showtooltip
/tar [harm,nodead][@mouseover,harm,nodead]
/cast [mod:ctrl,@mouseover,help,nodead,talent:3/3][mod:ctrl,@player,talent:3/3]Rejuvenation; [form:1,@mouseover,harm,nodead][form:1]Growl; [mod:shift,form:2,@mouseover,harm,nodead,talent:6/3][mod:shift,talent:6/3]Primal Wrath; [form:2,@mouseover,harm,nodead][form:2]Rip; [@mouseover,help,nodead,talent:3/3][@player,talent:3/3]Rejuvenation; Moonfire

I finally gave in and started using an addon for macros. (M6 in my case because I can use direct keybinds to better manage multiples of the same class. It lets you set up a global keybind, but add conditionals to the keybindings. That way you can set it up so a keybind only triggers under certain circumstances and falls through to the default UI’s use of the keybind otherwise. That lets a keybind only work on certain classes or specs, or only if you’re not in a vehicle. (Good for letting the default main action bar keybind work for the vehicle bar.)

1 Like

There’s an addon called Mega Macro that provides more global and character macro slots and up to 1023 length macros. There is also another addon called Long Macro which unfortunately has been abandoned by the author and is no longer SL-compliant unless you modify parts of the code yourself (they are actually simple changes but you have to know how to do it).

Wow. Okay, let me see if I understand this…

First, targeting.
Then, cast Rejuvenation using CRTL, but ONLY if talented to Restoration Affinity, prioritizing mouseover, then the player.
Third, use Growl in Bear form, prioritizing Mouseover then vs. target
Fourth, use Primal Wrath on SHIFT, but ONLY if talented into it, again, prioritizing mouseover, then Target. (Form 2 only for the mouseover condition)
Fifth, use rip, form 2 only, prioritizing Mouseover then vs. target
Sixth, cast Rejuvenation, once more only if talented to Restoration Affinity
Lastly, if all else fails, cast Moonfire.

That’s one Macro, five abilities, two targeting variations on all but one, talent considerations on three, and form considerations on three.

I wouldn’t call this “really not that hard,” - I’d call it impressive. You’re combining Healing, Taunting, Melee DPS, and a Spell DPS function into a single button with targeting switches on most of them.

It’s quite the Swiss Army macro you’ve made.

It’s a lot, but if you aren’t using the form bars, it’s not really all that unusual for a druid. You need to account for 3-4 different forms for each keybind.

Using the form bars can greatly simplify things, but with it’s own drawbacks. It’s great if you just drag most spells to the bar, but if you want special targeting, or to add modifiers for abilities, you’re using macros, and you’ll quickly run out of slots.

You’ve got 4 forms x 4 specs x 12 action slots = 192. Now, in reality there’s really more like 9-10 slots that I’ve found to be form specific, so maybe we can be conservative and say 144 things to put on action bars. (We haven’t even looked beyond the main action bar at this point, though!) And yes, some macros will end up being used more than once, but when I was last organizing them, it quickly became apparent that keeping track of which macros go into which slots is it’s own challenge.

To be clear, I’m not saying that they way I do things is the “best” it’s just what I decided was best for me right now. (I’ve played with different strategies over the years, and all have drawbacks.) I just wanted to demonstrate what type of strategies could quickly lead you afoul of the 255 limit.

It’s just interesting to see both how other people leverage the macro system, and what that shows about the different playstyles and philosophies there are.

To be honest, I don’t have the Druidic experience to comment specifically (my druid was abandoned at 56… back in Burning Crusade). Form considerations aside, however, it’s still just fascinating to consider these things, and maybe incorporate some of the ideas into my own play.

Optimized it a bit.

#showtooltip
/tar [harm,nodead][@mouseover,harm,nodead]
/cast [nomod:ctrl,form:1,@mouseover,harm,nodead][nomod:ctrl,form:1]Growl; [mod:shift,form:2,@mouseover,harm,nodead,talent:6/3][mod:shift,talent:6/3]Primal Wrath; [form:2,@mouseover,harm,nodead][form:2]Rip; [@mouseover,help,nodead,talent:3/3][@player,talent:3/3]Rejuvenation; Moonfire
1 Like