Relative to other games, the professions in WoW are severely lacking

Every profession besides alchemy and enchanting are worthless. Zin is also permanently farmed by hordes of multiboxers in every single realm/phase.

ANYWAYS, other games have a bit more variety for what you can do. For example, training animals to make them mounts. Or to make housing items for your PLAYER HOUSING!

Sailing… You know, something we could have gotten on an expansion with so much WATER AND BOATS.

1 Like

Probably an unpopular opinion:

Professions in MMOs are a waste of time. Every single game, even FFXIV which often gets praised in this department, has worthless professions with 0 fun involved.

Engineering is useful on a personal level.
Tinkers and gadgets are quite nice.

1 Like

That’s because GW2 has next to zero gear progression. Get your orange gear on the AH for cheap or from wherever else and you’re set basically forever. Improvements over that are totally negligible, regardless of the patch or expansion.

2 Likes

Professions were pretty good back in the day, when we had both items to sell and bis epics for yourself.

2 Likes

The professions in WoW are severely lacking compared to the professions in Wow (in the past).

Blame the players, not the developers. They used to be pretty useful. Then people complained that they were so useful, they were ‘required’.

Blizzard made them useless to placate the whiners.

GW2 crafting was such a pain in the butt and a huge mat grind.

1 Like

Professions are actually pretty useful.

Maybe not as significant as before ( I wouldnt know) but to say useless is a little exaggerated.

Well that’s the thing. Gear ones for example take a lot of effort and for one like jewelcrafting it takes an insane amount of gold. That includes farming expulsom and then crafting again again until you get the stats you want.

That gear becomes irrelevant pretty quickly and with corruption that’s an item slot that’s now worthless from your profession really early on. But lets say the gear was still good, what comes after? What are you going to craft?

Right, there’s nothing useful left outside that one socket. Enchanting and alchemy remain relevant for the entire content

1 Like

Professions in Guild Wars 2 let you craft the coolest looking weapons and armor in the game. Those are nice.

1 Like
1 Like

UO and SWG would like to have a word with you.

The only game the professions are something worth its name is EVE Online.
All other games just glorify futility in different levels.

I do enjoying crafting professions. I like making mounts I can ride and sell. I love my goblin kites (still useful in game), jeeves still works in dungeons/raids where repair mount don’t work, I can throw down Molly anywhere to mail stuff off, I did stop making Blingatron cuz they drop crap items. Sadly most other profession I just use to level enchanting by DEing

As recently as legion, crafting could put out reasonable ‘catch up’ style BOEs that remained valuable all the way to the end of the expansion. The BOE legendaries that could be crafted were especially valuable for a very reasonable chunk of time.

Leatherworking was good for roughly 2 weeks in BFA, and then it was a dumpster fire that only gave you a guaranteed BOP that you may or may not replace with raiding faster than you could gather the materials for it.

Also, I suspect you have not played FF14 if you think their crafting isn’t fun. That or you just aren’t ever going to be interested in crafting. That game does crafting/gathering better than ANY game I’ve ever played.

I love professions. Unfortunately, there are none in BFA.

Up to wrath the professions were great, possibly cata as well, I honestly can’t remember.

Having enchants and armor kits, spell threads, gems, there was a purpose for every single profession and I liked it. As for crafted gear, wow has never been the best at that aspect but there were other reasons for having your profession and it worked.

Should it be as prevalent as in a game like UO? Probably not. But they should not be the worthless husk of a system that they are right now.

I’m hoping to hear some details on SL crafting. Crafting, pvp vendors, old school token currency, a change in rep of some sort (tabards anyone?), and making Torghast ungated and rewarding. These are what I believe SL needs.

Shrug, they have completely paid for my WoW sub for many years. So as a means-to-an-ends, they are valuable indeed. Even in BfA, where they stink, they still deliver tokens.

When they were good, they showed how fun a MMO can be with gear that is not RNG, that is earned by doing in-game tasks, that can be planned on and acquired, and could be sold for in-game gold at great numbers. Legiondaries were amazing and the epic gear in WoD was great too. That’s pretty fun in my mind.

Crafting professions are only really good for mounts, transmogs (especially if you have learned the plans for no longer available items,) and the occasional gimmicky trick item which are criminally restricted outside of the expansion in some way usually (like double jump rocket boots that only work in the Broken Isles… because reasons.)

I’d say actually providing better equipment is a minor consideration anymore. It’s nice, but often the part that becomes obsolete by default.

Crafting in WoW has two problems at the moment:

It’s too easy to max, the removal of ‘catching up’ means that it’s trivial to have 10 alts with ‘maxed’ crafting. Which drives up supply, and even if there was marginal ‘value’ in existing crafting, that supply far exceeds demand. The exceedingly easy to start gathering also plays into this problem.

The ‘value’ of crafting items are far too low. Legion was the closest we ever came to having good valuable craftable stuff. Lots of consumables that were valuable, lots of decent ‘catch up’ gear that sold well to people’s alts. There were reasons to want to craft, and a market. It wasn’t as far as I wanted, but at least it didn’t feel like I would be making more money just vendoring mats instead of converting them into gear/items.

I hate that my max level Blacksmithing has very little I can craft and sell to make gold.

With 8.3 we got a couple of great armor pieces to make and to eventually make in greater ilvls. But we could not sell them on the AH or directly. Once you crated the pieces with the stats you wanted, there is no incentive to craft and more.

Add in the fact that they also screwed up the 8.3 1-h sword weapon by making it an Int instead of a Str weapon like every other lower one has been, and you see that they really don’t care about professions.