Reintroduce Downvotes

You can dislike legitimate opinions. Your opinion being legitimate and in good faith doesn’t necessarily make it a good opinion that I agree with.

Usually yes, but having a Like/Dislike system allows you to streamline a lot of the posts in a thread.

If someone covers exactly what you’re trying to say, simply saying it again offers nothing to the conversation. The like/dislike system removes a lot of the redundancy in a thread, a 100 post thread where most posts offer discussion is more valuable than a 300 post thread where 200 of the responses are simply “I agree/disagree”.

I mean that’s the main reason why I want downvotes back. I want a clear divide between “this post is NOT okay for the forums” and “I simply disagree with this post”, which the flagging system currently does not do.

By bringing back downvotes, you remove the shield from people actually abusing the flagging system.

4 Likes

I never understood people (Blizzard included) saying that we were “abusing” the dislike feature when that’s literally impossible, we’re all entitled to like or dislike whatever the hell we feel like, all they needed to do was remove the mass dislike burying posts. Instead we have a stupid situation where some people feel like their only recourse is to report a post that they feel is crossing a line.

I agree, bring back the dislike button but don’t allow it to bury things.

4 Likes

The whole thing really would be a non-issue if flagging did not hide things.
It does not even really hide things anyway, just makes it harder to read.

No for downvotes.

But…

How about stop making old content so griefing friendly that they literally want people to grief each other but you have an option to report for “griefing” :roll_eyes:

Who griefs the Griefmen?

Why have any? Just remove it all and have a forum. How about get some actual mods to do the moderating on the forum. I don’t need to see a bunch of upvotes OR downvotes.

Read the rest of what I wrote. If you disagree, write a post stating why you disagree. If it’s shorter than “I disagree just because it doesn’t match my ideals” then move on to a better topic.

While that is the solution to disagreeable posts now, that doesn’t really answer my question.

Flagging should hide things.

Flagging should be the option to hide some of the truly vile stuff that occasionally gets posted until the mods can clean it up.

Flagging shouldn’t be an option for simply disagreeing with someone.

Again, if your disappointment is legitimate, write a post stating your own argument in your own words, and

Then like/upvote their post. If you have more to add to their post, then make a post of your own and say what you wanted.

Downvoting is an excuse for lazy people to spread negativity. There are alternatives to voicing disagreement that is not quite so toxic.

Reintroduce the Downvote system but dont have it hide the post at all; just show all the votes, as well as a “net vote”. That’s how more mature sites like Ars Technica do it.

Hiding posts justs makes it an echochamber hugbox like the cancerous site that is reddit.

2 Likes

Everyone is… even myself and I can’t help it because I just 1 shot rares that other people could benefit from tagging as well.

They have created this hamster wheel where you have to chase things on the lowest % drop possible and on longest respawn timer waits… it’s clear that they want us cat fight for each important rares in old content.

That’s because I answered your question in my very first post in this thread. You may not misuse the downvote system but it is not humanly possible for you to guarantee that other people won’t.

please bring it back

I’m sure it has more to do with PR, image and brand control. They don’t want things like videos on youtube with more dislikes than likes and want avoid any possibility of something like the EA reddit thread with the most down votes in history.

Basically when they want to do something that will be unpopular they don’t want us to see how unpopular it is.

Similar to the the Megathread damage control tactic. just throw all the protest into one unmanageable thread so it looks like a smaller issue.

probably don’t care is we down vote each other.

for those asking for an echo chamber just go be active on reddit.

fixed :slight_smile:

I mean…what do you think downvotes are going to change then? >.>

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a system to express a disagreement.

I just don’t think that should be the same system that exists to bring posts to a moderators attention.

I want downvoting back to stop people using the flag system when it shouldn’t be used.

1 Like

Nah what you actually want is some echo chamber.

Otherwise you would be neutral and just ask for the removal of the likes as well, flagging is part of any forum since there’s things that shouldnt be said for obvious reasons.

You didn’t really, though.

If people give a post enough downvotes that it gets buried, that just means people don’t like that post, yeah?

That’s not exactly an abuse of the downvote system.

If I wanted an echo chamber I’d keep the forums just the way they are.

3 Likes