Regarding "Vanilla was Different!" Bugs

Per Viper of Nostalrius:

"First, they DO have the source code for Vanilla WoW. Code version control systems are not something new, as it has been a standard in the industry for a long time. With these systems, they can retrieve the code at any given previous backup date.

However, in order to generate the server (and the client), a complex build system is being used. It is not just about generating the “WoW.exe” and “Server.exe” files. The build process takes data, models, maps, etc. created by Blizzard and also generates client and server specific files. The client only has the information it needs and the server only has the information that it needs.

This means that before re-launching vanilla realms, all of the data needed for the build processes has to be gathered in one place with the code. Not all of this information was under a version control system. In the end, whichever of these parts were lost at any point, they will have to be recreated: this is likely to take a lot of resources through a long development process."

So Blizzard had to re-create at least some of the data. This means a few things were very likely overlooked and if something isn’t true to the original it was either an intentional change or is a bug. If you see something wrong, please do report it to Blizzard.

Well that first point is not entirely true at all. Code is lost all the time, especially retired code.

I am presenting the information as it was presented by Viper on the Nostalrius forums. I’d link it, but these forums won’t allow it.

And the first point possibly being incorrect does not invalidate the last quoted paragraph and the overall point of this thread.

Missing code was mentioned later. I think the reference meant the most of the code was there, and didn’t need to be made from scratch.

And yes, report bugs in the Bugs forum, not here.

1 Like

Old code is mostly used as reference if I’m right. They are using retail code (both client and server) for Classic for security reasons.

Of course, some work has to be done to integrate the 10+ year old data with retail software.