Regarding Kul Tirans, Faith and Paladins

Blizz has been….well, creatively bankrupt for a long time now. They occasionally show signs of potential, but then they ruin it with some hamfisted story nobody asked for.

The orc heritage armor questline shows that they can write well, when they actually listen to what their playerbase wants and puts it in game

Shows the specific devs involved in that specific body of questlines can write well*

And lord knows it wasn’t Golden nor Danuser

1 Like

Honestly? Can we please beg blizz fire Golden and hire more people like Roux? Golden is just….she’s the absolute worst and she ruins everything she touches.

Considering Golden’s earliest Warcraft work, it’s not exactly difficult to see her working on the orc heritage quests.

1 Like

They wield the same Elemental Powers that Paladins use(Necrotic and Radiant) but they are tailored to attacking Good and lose their powers if they start doing Good Deeds.

None of WoW’s Paladins have Smite Evil, Detect Evil, Smite Good or Detect Good so they don’t risk losing any powers due to Evilness(aside from Immunity to Disease). They all dual-class as Clerics technically and thus gain their power through Faith though even a Cleric has to maintain their Chosen Morality to keep the Smite/Detect Evil/Good Spells.

They even have Turn Undead and Undead harming Spells though since they are Evil they can also Raise Undead with impunity.

Resurrection Spells(which are Necrotic Spells) make the Resurrected subject to all the weaknesses of Undead while retaining their usual Morality. Yes that means they are weak to Turn Undead and other Anti-Undead Spells.

I don’t think that alignment is a force per say in this universe. The term Paladin has meanings other and much older than holier than though stick up the posterior fighter.

Heck one of the most popular westerns featured a gunslinger for hire who went by the name Paladin.

Paladin at it’s root refers the Knights of Charlemagne. There were no reports of them using any powers whatsoever so that is not much different from this Gunslinger you speak of.

Fun Fact: Some Knights used Guns.

Considering she openly stated during the Thrall panel how she feels about Orcs and their culture, you are absolutely wrong

My friend told me about that panel. He uhh…to say he was angry about it was an understatement. From what I heard, that panel was tone deaf all around and blizz got some backlash for it

1 Like

Honestly what I would do would be both. Who says your character can only have one religion? Worship the Tidemother AND the Light.

1 Like

There are indeed a lot of Moon Motifs throughough the Shrine

Plus one of the murals shows the Hullwarden Runes are blessed/empowered by moonlight

Her earlier work is probably the best she’s done. It’s easy to see a decline in quality when reading all her books.

I wonder how she’d react if forced by law to reread her first WarCraft Book?

She forgot how she originally depicted the Horde it seems and started falling for the original Lord of the Clans Canceled Game’s depiction of the Orcs.

The Lord of the Clans Canceled Game had Thrall make deals with the 5 Great Dragonflight Leaders not the Elemental Spirits.

The Novel changing it to Elemental Spirits is likely due to Metzen giving Christie Golden a vague outline without saying what he actually wanted.

He gave a better outline to Knaak to say the least. Knaak at least knew that the Elemental Spirits were Dragons not Elementals!

I dare say Twilight of the Aspects was the result of Metzen making Christie Golden do the story of Lord of the Clans all over again this time ignoring what struck a chord in the Fans’ Hearts in favor of his original Canceled Game’s plot of striking a bargain with 4 Dragons.

1 Like

Presumably because it was the Original One.

Was talking more about how the early days of the kingdom. It’s an area of lore we really don’t know much about at all. It would be nice if the early days were expanded upon

1 Like

I mean, it would be nice if everyone’s history was expanded upon.

One of WoW’s most glaring story problems is that we know quite a lot about the War of the Ancients, and we know quite a lot about happened since the Dark Portal opened, but the 10,000 year gap between the two is comparatively blank. Only a tiny handful of notable events populate that massive space.

Like, the entire history of Stormwind is:

Founding
hundreds, possibly thousands of years
???gnolls???
hundreds, possibly thousands of years
The First War and everything since

4 Likes

I’m glad they have more recently hinted at some of Stormwind’s Pre First War history such as the Gnoll Wars and the Gurubashi War. But even then, the knowledge is incredibly bare. From what i know it’s pretty much just.

1.) Conflict Starts

2.) One significant Battle

3.) Conflict Over

We see this with the Gnoll Wars where the conflict was going on but really the only “confirmed battle” is when they kill the Gnoll leader. Same thing with the Gurubashi War for the most part. There is some mention of the Gurubashi doing some raids in Westfall and then Lothar, Llaine and Medivh retaliating. But then it’s just a Siege on Stormwind that ends it.

Honestly this is even the case for what we know about the Troll Wars. Seemingly it was just the humans and elves luring the trolls into Alterac to nuke with fire magic.

Would be nice if there was a little more to these stories. More significant battles/campaigns, characters and other points of interest. It’s painfully bland and there’s no reason for it.

2 Likes

Who is the Tidemother anyway? I thought that was a trick by Azshara.

She is the Mother who provides clean clothing thanks to Tide!

Behold her sacred symbol.

2 Likes

Late to this, but the Light is actually a presence in Kul Tiras as a faith, it’s just not the dominant one. You can find the grave of a paladin in Drustvar, and Daelin Proudmoore is actually accompanied in part by a contingent of Kul Tiran Paladins. The general implication is that following the split from the mainland, Light worship became less fashionable and the Tide Faith was pushed as a way to be distinct.

As for the Tidemother herself, we don’t actually know what she is, and likely never will. Lord Stormsong thought that it was Azshara, but the more likely scenario is that she just deluded him into thinking that, as it wouldn’t explain all the blessings and abilities the Storm’s Wake retain despite being a direct counter to her plan, nor the inherent enchantment of the Proudmoore pendant that allows them to call the fleet home.

She could be a very powerful water elemental, or a particularly strong Wild God like the one in Vash’jir.