Regarding Kul Tirans, Faith and Paladins

Exactly

Could’ve been a great opportunity for some in-game books describing a Church schism or something

Alas

1 Like

Faith in the Tidemother however isn’t the kind of thing that’s going to be conducive to creating a Light-oriented mindset, if anything it would draw you to the Deep Dark of the Void. The Ocean after all is deep and silent.

Unless you liken her to be more of a Gozreh type figure.

In BFA beta one of the bosses for the Siege of Boralus was a paladin Kul’tiran for the Horde side of the dungeon. They removed it, because it was complicated and Kul’tirans were not given Paladin class, which for me, is stupid…

If as abstract a concept as the “light of the loa” can be used as a philosophical framework to justify the wielding of the Light, it isn’t that hard for me to imagine the Tidemother’s faith doing the same. The Tidesages traditionally shun the power of the deeps, after all.

I just want to thank everyone for their input and discussion. It has been providing a lot of helpful information and debate while helping me in deciding how to proceed with my character.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Except that it’s not a mind set that would orient you that way. The ocean is the antithesis of the sunlit surface.

But are always drawn to it. That is the knife edge they must dance… drawing from the power of the deep without succumbing to the intelligence imprisoned in the abyss.

Having every divine belief being a roadmap to the Light robs them of their diversity.

2 Likes

They don’t even need that stretching of the lore. The people of Drustvar are light worshippers.

No one needs to stetch the lore, on any of this. Look, the Kul Tirans probably have light worships. The church of the holy light has always been as much a philosophy as a religion and it doesn’t need a person to only follow it to the exclusion of all others.

The Kul Tiran paladin(if they are ever added) can simply be kul tirans who were always light worshipers or could worship both light and their sea based religion. Also, they could simply be paladins trained when the lightforged were helping in Drustvar.

They have a church in Drustvar and they have a graveyard. The NPCs there even make comments about the Light and during invasions are protected by the Lightforged. I see this as a slam dunk in adding paladins to Kul Tirans.

3 Likes

Does a paladin even need to wield the Light? Sure the Light is one source of “divine” power, yet there are other powers out there. A warrior dedicated to their faith and gaining power from any other source would be virtually indistinguishable from a traditional paladin except for the color of their spells.

1 Like

The Tidesages are very much a group apart from the mainline culture.

Maybe not specifically the light; I could see a night elf “paladin” using Elune’s power instead. I think what’s more important thematically is the general concept of a holy warrior, instead of specifically medieval holy knights. It just depends on what that race’s culture considers holy. So for tauren and trolls, that’d be a sun depiction. Pandaren would likely celestial-themed, as they’re that race’s divinity, etc.

I think void elves are the oddest ones out because they don’t have a culture at all. It wouldn’t be fair to deny just them when race/class combos are being expanded, but I honestly don’t know how you marry the two together in a sensible way.

I said it in a thread in general, but Void Elves would be the closest we get to Blackguards barring the DK class. Racial spell colors like the warlock green fire quest would be interesting. Blizzard has been copying/borrowing ideas from D&D heavily and I can see it as a skin even if the spell says “Flash of Light” for gameplay purposes.

1 Like

I forgot about forsaken since they have an adjacent issue, but honestly I think they’re ironically workable with the lore we have now. Since we know the light’s “only” agonizing instead of instant death, and its power is conditional, I’d actually play that combination straight and do forsaken paladins as a sort of “flickering lightbulb” in contrast to a normal paladin’s incandescence. Rare bursts of inspiration and faith to power through the suffering, then most of the time the “paladin” is turned off and in misery.

I’ve never played DnD; what’s a Blackguard like?

Very similar to a death knight in many ways, but most of the time still alive. Sometimes they draw their powers from evil deities or outsiders. Instead of curing wounds they inflict them. Really strongly the antithesis of the paladin. Despair, terror, and hatred. Like I said very similar to DKs.

2 Likes

I chock it up to an implied Schism between the Church of Kul Tiras and the Church of Gilneas/Stormwind during Whatever Happened that led Kul Tiras from being a Gilnean Territory to an Independent Nation-State

Wtb historical depth for Humans

I beg

With the histories of the 7 human kingdoms, there’s really no excuse for the humans to be as bland as they currently are. It’s a shame really. There’s so much that they could with the race to make them actually interesting

3 Likes

With the implied histories more so

How did what was originally 3 tribes/kingoms becomes 7? When and how did Gilneas gain independence from Lordaeron, and Kul Tiras form Gilneas? Church of LIght hierarhcy? Was Lordaeron maybe a theocracy at one point of some sort? Any civil war? Persecution of folk traditions? When did Runic Magic die out among Human Tribes? God knows.

2 Likes

Exactly, and how Stromgarde did become the strongest nation out of the orignal seven? What made them so much better at fighting than their other kin?

Like you said, there’s a whole grey area we know nothing about. I wonder if we’ll ever get the beginnings fleshed down the road.

It’s just funny cuz that would’ve been such an easy Win

just regular short stories or geneaology charts or in-game books in the style of Tolkien’s histories or Amerindian/African oral histories or just a plain old history book describing the “background” of the thousands of years of each race

but no

that would require creativity and commitment I guess lol

1 Like