Regarding addons on classic

Still was in vanilla, though. That’s the point I’m trying to make. My friend was a hard core raider back then and he showed me the ropes around DBM and addons in general. He was in BWL at the time and it had basically just released, so that’s still early on in vanilla’s life. Not to mention the near-bot levels of automation you could do with targeting and skill cast scripts that they have since removed and won’t be adding back…

1 Like

later when you have time, download a dbm for mc and bwl and go thru the boss fights and you see all the timers there… the difference is that before ppl needed to know when it was going to happen,

1 Like

If you’re referring to the Retail Ragnaros, that’s nice, but irrelevant. His abilities have been modernised as have most old bosses, to suit timer based gameplay.

We’ll see how accurate they are when Classic comes. Based on our old strategy information, they were not so easily predicted.

this was a hardcore guild raiding nefarian, and as you can see, there was no addons with encounter timers, i know that because i was there…like i said

regarding the addons that people claim that you were required to use for raid, were addons to check flask, pots, repair, ping, the raid addons was to check raid status

2 Likes

Thank you for proving the point.

Timers to say “Ability will be used NOW” don’t work in Vanilla because the timing wasn’t able to be precise enough. It wasn’t “Ability will happen with +/- 3s” not because people couldn’t work that out, but because that’s not how it worked.

The reason they don’t have timers to say when abilities will be used, was because of the long RNG range of those abilities.

You’re literally proving my point.

Yeah fair enough, still in Vanilla indeed.

That reminds me of my first MC run ever. 40 people with sketchy/laggy comms and a rookie raid leader. It was a utter disaster! Fun times though :wink:

the whole point of my post is to hope we don’t get dbm and bigwigs for encounters in classic, i’m just proving my point, and you are saying that my point is correct, because there were no TIMERS to begin with…thats a win win

1 Like

I’m saying no hard and fast ability timers are possible. That’s an element of the game. If that makes you happy, great. But we’re still going to have the same DBM capabilities we had.

Honestly I’m confused about what exactly your point is, because DBM does a lot more than just ability timers but that’s the only part you keep focusing in on. Do you have an issue with encounter addons or specifically with ability timers?

wiping to learn a boss mechanic with your 39 closest friends for 4 hours was not the pinnacle of your weekend? everyone on equal ground having the same fun

the same as before no problem, because i know how it was before i just dont want the new grab by the hand guides we have atm…

i have no problem with the stats checks (pots, flask, etc…), repair, ping, ready check, but i REALLY would like to not have BOSS TIMERS, am i clear?

1 Like

No…I’m saying encounter addons do more than ability timers. How do you feel about ability announcements, sound alerts, automated raid warnings telling you which players are targetted by mechanics, and so on.

Thanks for disproving your own point…

there is an addon in that video that is counting down abilities…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m definitely not worried about that because of the way they work.

Its only counting the exclusion period.

No it literally says SHADOWFLAME in 2 seconds and then he casts shadowflame 2 seconds later.

Abilities were on timers in vanilla, boss addons that counted those timers were quite common and did work.

1 Like

Players are more resourceful today, you simply can’t stop it.

omni cooldown counter…is as old as wow, im not talking about that… im talking about BOSS TIMERS, “in 5 sec incoming boss aoe” “stop healing in 5 sec”

Quite a few of them, especially in MC had a wide RNG range. Shadowflame is not one of them, sure, but there were quite a lot, and at least one or two in every fight. Other RNG elements in the Nefarion fight like Class Calls and when he resurrected skeletons were far more random.

Personally, I like to know what’s going on in the fight without having to constantly glance at my debuff tray.

1 Like

the skells are summoned with 25% health if i’m not mistaken… it has been 14 years after all, but class calls were totally random, i broken my bow a few times, and healers killed the tank more