Recommended iLvl for M+ by + rating?

I’ve been trying to get a feel for what iLvl is needed for each level of M+ (just something rough).

I had someone tell me that I shouldn’t be doing anything above a +0 without 390+ gear.

That makes little sense to me as a) I’ve been doing +2s and +3s just fine in my crap gear and b) +3 drops 389 gear, so that math would have me doing M+ at gear levels above what I’d get from those runs.

I’m at 364 right now and struggled with a +5, so I’m thinking maybe a +5 is too much, but in general, what iLvl should I be looking for in the groups I put together for +2, +3, +4, +5, etc.

Any help would be appreciated in this.

I’d say I’d start +2’s around 230-240 and go up from there. At 364 your gear is enough to get you through 8’s-9’s. I’d shoot for 370 to start doing 10’s. If you’re struggling with 5’s it’s more than likely something you’re doing or your talents. More likely though, if you’re basing that opinion that you can’t handle it over A 5, it’s probably the group you were with. Try some more, if you still feel you can’t handle it, than it’s probably something in your own play you need to address but that’s not a bad thing. You can always improve yourself, you can’t necessarily improve those around you.

3 Likes

Generally skill is the bigger factor over ilvl.

4 Likes

There is no hard and fast rule for ilvl and M+ level. The general rule of thumb is 10-13 ilvls lower than the rewards.

Skill is the biggest determining factor. Think about ilvl as a handicap. The higher your ilvl the more it will make up for skill.

2 Likes

I’d normally agree with this but at some point the unavoidable damage and low hp due to ilvl will cap you no matter how good you are

2 Likes

You should be 372 imo to start m+ just do m0 world tour and kill some rares/weeklies. 380+ for sure this week on 10s.

M+2 drops 376 your bar to entry is way too high. You can comfortably do M+2 with 360 ilvl with the average skillset.

1 Like

A lot of great advice above, so I’ll just add that the other 4 players in the group can determine your ceiling more then anything else. A lot of people love this io thing, and that’s great - it’s fun! However, your only as good as the other 4 players, so as far as what key level your capable of depends mostly on that.

As far as where you personally think you should be…

This is a great start, and a great mentality you have. Self awareness is very important, and can get lost for a lot
Of players unfortunately at times. Be real with yourself! Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

1 Like

Just jam with +5 for a bit. Learn the mechanics, failure isn’t that big of a deal if you learn from it. Don’t get too big for your britches or jump too far outside your comfort zone. I like to hang out in the 75% success rate zone. Push that key up and just run the downgrade to push it back up.

M0 drops 372 that is the definition of the bar before m+

You are not expected to be fully geared out from each M+ level before you proceed to the next. That’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

personals, potions, etc.
There’s tons people can do before relying on just more ilvl will fix it.

So 372 to do an +2 but you only need 380 to do a +10? I think your logic slipped about 8 ilvl ago.

1 Like

3s don’t drop 389 gear.

More like 10-13 lower than the great vault reward, this season.