Rearranging and Removing Portals

So I was thinking and got a laugh out of thinking this.

This is like.

Joining a raid that someone is hosting for say LK 25 Heroic and you don’t have the mount. You want in for that chance to get the mount because you are a little worn out soloing it. Then at the end of the raid the raid leader (Blizzard) master loots everything including the mount because it drops. They learn the mount in front of everyone and hearths out. You later receive a mail item of some BoE that dropped because you did not win it in the raid and you really wanted that transmog look. It states that they are indeed sorry for the ninja looting but hopefully this piece you REALLY wanted will make up for it. You put in a ticket to report this issue of ninja looting. You get an email that says, since rules were not set at the beginning of the raid, they are not able to do anything about it.

4 Likes

I laughed out loud at this.
Dark Age of Camelot had ‘scaling’ to solo or group size 15 years ago. Long before Wow devs ever thought of using it. Matt Firor, ESO dev came from there. Many of the things in ESO are similar to those in DaoC. (Housing, RvR/PvP, etc).
Right now, I wish I hadn’t passed on ESO, I missed a lot of things from other games and other development crews.

Wow’s network effect killed off many games that were creating better systems than Wow had or has. A shame really, the MMO world would probably be much further advanced now.

7 Likes

Moonslayer says:

"I’ll offer a simple solution:

1. a Caverns of Time portal in the portal room.
  2. a Portal to Dalaran Crater, Wyrmrest Accord, and Kharazhan in the portal rooms. You could put a Kirin Tor NPC next to these to make it look cool.
    (satisfying the need for northern EK for alliance, and mid-southern EK for horde).
  3. A portal to the Vale of Eternal Blossom shrines in the portal room (leave the current Jade Forest portal near the Cata portals alone).
  4. a portal room in ALL faction capitals, even the destroyed ones (but in the time rewind)."

I completely agree with this. I really miss the portal to Badlands tho, because I was so used to flying to Blackrock Mountain from there, but a Kara portal would take care of that easily. I play Horde, so this has been a problem. EK is a problem as far as flight paths go. There needs to be portals to the major cities (in every major city), because people should be able to choose where they want their hearth to be, and should have no problem traveling from those areas to get to current content. I have checked PTR and no other portals have been added. I have no idea what you were thinking by putting the Jade Forest portal or Azunh They need to be in the main cities.

7 Likes

Either we should get all portals back or have our teleport items they love so much made into toys. This is nonsense and I’m not satisfied with the “compromise”.

6 Likes

While I would certainly not object to having the teleport objects made into toys, that wouldn’t completely solve my objection to the loss of portals, simply because a toybox full of teleporters (on a long CD, no doubt, to make the decision to use one feel “meaningful”) does nothing to save every city outside of SW and Org from turning into a ghost town with nothing to offer.

Unlike Blizzard, I would actually like the world to feel alive, not just my two pet cities.

5 Likes

Fair enough. Honestly the easiest solution is to swallow their pride and bloody put back what they gave us in the first place.

“But my immershhhhion”
Don’t use them then.

12 Likes

if they did do the toy thing it’d still screw farmers like myself over because you know they aint putting a 60 second CD …or even a 5 minute CD…on a toy that portals somewhere.
No…it’ll be that joke 4 hour or more crap they do with the engineering portals except for the MoP one that isnt worth spit because you dont know where its going to land you and so is pretty much useless

1 Like

Good point, I’d say give both and keep the cooldowns!

More likely they would all have a global X hour cooldown, because that is just too much fun to be had out there.

4 Likes

Make the MoP Portal go to the Shrines! No one cares about Honeybrew Village, not even Taran Zhu!

3 Likes

agreed.
For questing longer CD’s are fine…but not for farming mats like I do. If we had an unlimited mats bag like ESO does, they yeah, it’d probably be ok. I could farm all day, one big trip, I guess.

I really cant figure out why WoW devs seem so controlling.
If you have an ESO subscription you get a mats bag that is unlimited size and ALL of your characters have access to it (B) with all of the contents showing.
Lord…they act like we’re criminals or something who have to be micromanaged on every stinking detail.

I really dont think Im coming back to WoW under any circumstances now that Ive played ESO.

8 Likes

Probably joining you in Eso soon, sorting cash flow issues out.
After trying FF trial, and seeing --again-- the differences between other devs and Wow devs, it really does remind me that Wow micro managing is just bad design.
“Fun detected–fun nerfed, because it isn’t OUR way.”
is unfortunately true.

Glad I’m moving on, my only regret is I didn’t do it during the Wod flying fiasco. If I’m honest with myself, their attitude towards flying will never change, and only get worse, so there really isn’t any reason for me to hope it will change for the better.
:sunglasses:

Puts elastics on wrists to snap myself every time I open Wow forums. Better add some more. :wink:

5 Likes

seems to be the ActiBliz motto anymore, thats for sure.

4 Likes

Did Riddler’s Mind Worm today. Was total trash trying to complete without the old portal rooms and old portal locations :-1:

9 Likes

Very much so. Thunder Bluff is now more isolated than it was in vanilla. Iron Forge is in slightly better shape. It’s like they don’t want us using those cities.

The situation with Thunder Bluff is actually making me long for a tiny bit of classic in the live game. The specific part of classic that I want is for the original Barrens (not the divided zones we have now).

Back before Cataclysm messed up the world, I made a tauren, who I then walked to Org without dying once. I started the journey at level 1, and had reached level 3 by the time I reached my destination. Those levels were obtained solely from discovery xp. This type of journey is not possible now. I think the lowest level I have been able to make that journey since Cataclysm was 30.

Funny thing. I know that there was a period of time when new characters got all of the flight paths in each of the starting zones. I am not sure when they changed that, or why. If they returned to doing that, it would help the problem some. As always, the changes they have made hit low level characters the hardest.

7 Likes

There is a reason why this is a wow meme.

7 Likes

The other reason is that boneheaded moves like this, and their petty doubling down on it keeps driving players away. But they want to pretend there’s still a ton of people playing (their SEC required publicly shared declining metrics to the contrary), so they come up with more lies to make people think there’s a ton of people playing:

Step one: force crz in current content

Step two: force crz in capital cities

Step three: create portal rooms

Step four: remove all other portal rooms, funneling everyone to the capital cities, giving the impression there’s a ton of people still playing the game

Step five: they lose even more money as more people are driven from the game to competitors who don’t remove quality of life features to shore up how little work they actually are doing on the game (apparently, ESO and FF are big winners in this area).

11 Likes

More strangers running around org/tradechat isn’t helping when everyone on your friends list and guild roster aren’t logging in anymore.

But, like ‘squishing levels’ (gack) they’ll swing that dead chicken around 3 times counterclockwise at midnight and pretend that these chances are helping something. who knows what.

5 Likes

You’re not supposed to look at the list of your real friends no longer playing…your supposed to be “immersed” in the mobs of people running around!

It’s supposed to help someone look productive…until the next round of layoffs. Sooner or later, they’ll eventually get rid of the real dead weight dragging the game down, instead of people who were actually there to help customers. There may not be many people left playing at that point…

4 Likes

If they plan to drop patch 8.2 June/July it is going to be a brutal year for Blizzard and WoW.

I wonder when the CoT portal will be added because if they wait till patch 8.2 to do that that will make a lot of people angry as they can literally spawn the portal within minutes lol.

6 Likes