Rearranging and Removing Portals

You see this right here is a design philosophy they should take on board.

No matter what anyone does in game they will find shortcuts.

To give a weird example, there was a brand new University built some years back near my home town, they built it, layed turf the whole works. They didn’t make concrete pathways from building to building.

They let the students decide which was the fastest way from class to class, then paved it!

6 Likes

Im one of those “dont make stupid, idiotic, POINTLESS decisions that dont affect my life in ANY way and LOSE customers in the process”

2 Likes

You got it backwards. The game being streamlined and not engaging is why people are running around with 12 alts working on collections, because they consider collections the only worthy endgame after current content is cleared on their mains.

Immersion is only a facet of fun, and for a lot of players, the transit time is immersion breaking because that’s when they go afk or alt-tab. The argument against convenience also doesn’t hold up when you compare how much growth competing MMOs are seeing, ones that have managed to incorporate fast travel without breaking immersion.

11 Likes

Tarc you seem to be a troll who is enjoying this as much as people who are genuinely passionate are hating this change.

5 Likes

Don’t even reply to him. Not worth it.

5 Likes

seconded…

3 Likes

This simply is not true.

I play GW2 and that world actually feels HUGE, yet you can open the map and portal anywhere you want with the click of a button. What makes the world feel huge in that game is the content. There’s content to be done no matter where you portal to.

WoW however likes to make older zones almost completely irrelevant with every new zone, so there’s really no reason to travel through most areas whatsoever at max level unless the game forces you to, which makes it feel like an inconvenience.

The thing is, the world DOES feel large even with portals, especially for people who have played the game for a long time and experienced all the areas and content. Portals therefore feel like a convenience, not something that makes the world feel smaller.

18 Likes

Portal to Shattrath, talk to Zephyr, boom, ported to CoT.

Assuming you’re Revered, which if this is really a high-traffic farming spot, you would have gotten to Exalted ages ago.

(I know, I was using heavy sarcasm there as if it’s a new thing)

The devs just won’t listen and it’s really heartbreaking. Instead of adding something like that (which they have the tech for) they take away portals because “they know better.

2 Likes

Notice how they announce this at the end of the day so they can simply ignore the fall out.

8 Likes

Ooh I remember that one! They stealth added it, never told anyone then yeah, watcher or someone got his panties in a twist over being called out on his BS

1 Like

Wow. That is really something else. I kinda feel sorry for you guys, in a way. You can’t be doing this because you want to; I have a vision of the folks signing your paychecks telling you you have to.

1 Like

Yeah I know.

Thanks.

No the real fallout is mass unsubs. People will vote with there wallets.

4 Likes

Are we still practicing the “you think you do but you dont” approach?

I know this seems like such a minor issue but it seems amazing that this is one scenario in a laundry list of unnecessary changes you guys have made that the majority of your fan base doesn’t agree with. Do you guys have a team that actively looks to make the game less convenient?

I’m so tired of this trend over the past couple of years where there seems to be a big issue and you ask for our feedback so we give it. You “read” this feedback and do nothing or you wait until months after when people are extremely unhappy and then you finally see things our way and you backtrack and reflect on your dumb decisions.

Are we to the point where we need to start having polls about potential changes on the launcher or as soon as you login? You certainly dont seem to care about the feedback on the forums because again, as miniscule as this issue is – this was not a hard issue to read. Over 5000 posts have overwhelmingly told you that this change is bad.

It really is frustrating seeing the changes in development style over the years. You guys make it hard not believe the conspiracy theories about login time metrics. It feels like 15 years of playing this game and over 20 years of being a fan of Blizzard means nothing with responses like this.

15 Likes

its funny when those real raiders get all geared up and the questers are all quested out and both unsub for months till something new comes out…while farmers keep paying the bills in the meantime…only to have the FARMERS who keep the light bill paid be the one Blizzard openly attacks with this crap.

11 Likes

It’s astounding to me how you guys can get a massive amount of negative feedback about a change you’re making but just go ahead and power on through anyway all the while trying to claim “You hear us”. What positive effect does this change bring to the game? Nothing. It won’t make the world feel bigger (atleast not in the “positive” way you’re trying to spin it), it won’t make the world feel more alive. The only thing this change accomplishes is annoying your playerbase. That’s all that really needs to be said.

13 Likes

So the MOP portals were left in by mistake for 4+ years and are now being removed. Losing all the Legion portals which were so cool and added flavor to the city in the name of “encouraging transportation in newer zones” and having too many distance eliminators is just ridiculous.

Most modern MMOs would and are in the habit of making old content equally accessible as the current content. I would hope that the development team would see the benefits of adding a new beautiful portal room while leaving the existing portals alone. I just dont see what the harm is in leaving the old portals alone. I am already dreading the added flight time from flying from jade forest to the raids in pandaria. And yes i have the trinket to timeless isle but that doesnt get me any closer.

Your solution is for people who want to do old content is to farm all the rings/trinkets/cloaks with teleports? Half of those teleports were added as gold sinks! What an insult to the players who are paying to play older content.

At a time when some players are looking for any reason to stay subbed, it blows my mind that devs would willingly and stubbornly insist on removing quality of life assets.

11 Likes

Cleaning up the portal rooms in the main cities makes sense.

Getting rid of an easy way for us to enjoy old content doesn’t. If I can’t easily do old content during downtimes, I will simply play something else. It’s just like I won’t take a plane trip with 4 transfers when a direct flight is available. Our time is valuable, Blizz. Spending it on flight paths isn’t a good use of our time.

12 Likes

Again and again. :+1:

11 Likes