Rearranging and Removing Portals

But it’s not available on the official notes listed on this site. Which is all that matters, especially after all the problem’s Wowhead has had in the past with malicious ads.

It will only ever be official when Blizzard buys Wowhead.

12 Likes

I don’t care if they mentioned them or if this was intended previous to who said what when.

You hear of players saying they had to hire a mage to carry us on their back to get anywhere…up hill both ways.

This is now not then.

Give us our ports back Blizzard and take it on the chin…didn’t think so.

2 Likes

Ok, now THAT is a 100% valid point. I was just referencing the wowhead version. IF the official site does not cover the specifics, then it falls under their typical scummy practice of undocumented changes.

Item Level Scaling comes to mind the last time they neglected important information in Patch Notes.

Obviously small stuff may be forgotten, but Blizzard does it so often there are sites that specifically document ALL the undocumented changes.

3 Likes

Times change. Gamers change. What was acceptable five years ago is anathema today and may simply be tolerable in five years and illegal in ten.

2 Likes

Yes time change and for the better although I don’t see a better weaver.

cough

1 Like

18 pages of comments on MMO Champions, most of it on portals:

x_https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/8373-Upcoming-Beast-Mastery-Hunter-Changes-Patch-8-1-5?#comments

But clicking off to Wowhead takes extra time, oh wait, nvm. It is happening even from their own patch notes.

But anyway you look at it, they are stretching time to do things out little by little here and there. Which made me think of something on top of the portal thing. They dropped the ability to upgrade your heirlooms to 120. When you buy that you will want to have the full set in order to get the full bonus. However, Azerite gear takes 4 of those slots now with extra abilities you will want to have. SO, would you not lose out on those items and not be able to gain that extra % thus level slower than a full set. Hmm, take longer to traverse the world while gaining less xp for only certain pieces of heirloom gear.

Not unless those 4 pieces of heirloom gear have a larger stat stack on them to compensate for the loss of the Azerite stuff. I have not as yet checked to see that, so this is sort of speculation.

I commented on a number of sites that were talking about it.

mmochampion
mmorpg
blizzardwatch
reddit

And the ones I took the time to glance at … save for people bashing on WoW players, I didn’t see any real positive feedback.

1 Like

Since one of my goals is to collect every xmog in the game for every class I’d like to know what realm this is :slight_smile:

You know they’ll count the trolls as positive feedback.

2 Likes

How’s my favorite Containment Thread ™ doing today?

2 Likes

Tarc the self proclaimed warden continues to be rude to everyone who doesn’t believe in the Gospel of Blizzard!

5 Likes

He had so much promise as a polite dissenter at the start.

I guess it’s true what they say, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I miss the ignore feature.

Like I’ve told people.

You can tell a man he is wrong in a polite way and you can tell a man he is wrong in a rude manner.

Whether they are right or wrong doesn’t matter, HOW you present yourself is what matters.

You come in abrasive and rude, and people will lash out at you.

2 Likes

What if you come in like that one belf dude that sips tea and flips his hair?

I’m worried about him, I feel like he probably has whiplash by now.

On-topic: I literally spat out my water when I saw that they removed the CoT portal…and then put a new story quest right next to CoT. Like, not “in Tanaris…” LITERALLY RIGHT NEXT TO COT.

Can’t make this stuff upppppppppppppppp

14 Likes

I’m sure someone else has probably already suggested this but I’m admittedly too lazy to read the entire thread.

The simple solution is to connect all capitals (by faction, naturally) to each other and Dalaran. Include the “neutral” capitals. Make Dalaran the hub to all other “important” locations. Add portals there as needed. Keep it clean. If “content local” hubs are needed, put them in the content and only link them within the content except for the main link to Dalaran.

Like so many things, this doesn’t have to be so complicated. As a developer myself I’m always looking for ways to simplify and automate things. This is a basic graph problem; treat it that way and it will straighten itself out.

5 Likes

There’s nothing inherently wrong with a centralized portal location–as you suggested, it is good.

The problem was removing portals.

Add an NPC that has a portal ‘menu.’ Takes up nearly 0 ‘real estate,’ easy to program, done.

3 Likes

As the old saying goes.

KISS.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

When you decide to complicate matters due to “tradition” or “vision” you can too easily end up ruining things.

7 Likes

Sure - easy peazy. I wouldn’t care how it’s implemented, but the structure should be as close to self-maintaining as possible.

1 Like