Rearranging and Removing Portals

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
yeah…you have NO CLUE what youre talking about. Thanks for making that blindingly obvious.
PORTALS are how we get from one landmass to another, son, to do that farming.
That you dismiss portals for farming makes it crystal clear you havent got a hint of a clue about farming old mats.

I love how you made sure to say ‘relevant’.
Of course you can now come back and say "I said RELEVANT herbs’ as your joke of a deflection.

I farm OLD WORLD herbs.
Those are OLD WORLD PORTALS being removed.
So whether youre playing ignorant…or actually ignorant…it is irrelevant.
Removing those portals to the OLD WORLD will absolutely affect our time consumed to farm the EXACT SAME herbs.

6 Likes

Blizzard isn’t doing this to artificially inflate our /played time.

We’ll play as much as we play and no more. All that changes is that many of us will be DOING LESS during the same amount of time.

I think there’s two other things Blizzard is trying to accomplish with this arbitrary change:

1. fighting ‘gold inflation’. Longer travel times = less legacy farming for xmog/resources/vendorable-stuff. The scrapper apparently didn’t help enough (it keeps us from vendoring loot for gold by converting it into soulbound currencies instead).

2. infrastructure costs. By radically reducing the demand for legacy zones, they can retire or re-assign those servers. Either to save money or eliminate the need to increase infrastructure for 8.2’s dungeons/raids/zones. (Computationally, it’s much MUCH easier/cheaper/efficient to support 50 online players in 1 to 5 zones, than the same 50 players spread across 40 to 50 zones.)

3. (well 2b actually) The more passive or client-side-only activities we engage in, the more people they can pack into a zone before it starts to lag. More waiting in queues, more unskippable RP dialog, more long flight-paths… more “saving the accursed turtles for nola” … the more they can pack us into a single region without us “feeling” the lag so much.

6 Likes

uh…its the same thing.
If I want to get, run and turn in quest A…now my time is INCREASED to do so.
In your statement here, if I have one hour to play, I just dont get the quests done now because Blizzard increased the time it will take.

So instead of FINISHING I either have to quit after an hour and leave it UNFINISHED…meaning I have to do it later…or take more time to finish it now.

Either way it DOES increase my time played to do that quest.

5 Likes

With the patch 3 days away I think the chances are absolutely zero.

3 Likes

I’m still of the opinion that while what you’re saying is true on its face, there are NO MORE REALM SERVERS. Everything is a part of the WOW CLOUD and if a bunch of people in a WSG suddenly need more CPU cycles, the WOW CLOUD allocates the CPU time. I don’t believe my realm, Bloodhoof, actually exists as a server anymore. It’s a virtual server which is comprised of shards and phasing so that I usually see Bloodhoof people when I’m logged in. Like server takes phasing priority, like faction takes priority over that, like guild takes priority over that.

My toon is phased constantly, and I find it hard to believe that there are any hard and fast realms anymore. It explains so many of their design decisions, and also explains why EVERYTHING is instanced and phased and sharded now. It explains why “communities” exist as they do, and why Blizzard must have sharding in Classic.

You’re right with this, in that they probably need to lower the overhead that all of these ports were creating with regards to spinning up new shards or moving players to existing shards everytime they port.

There’s a lot of ready-time delays if you’re not careful and users will absolutely see these as “zone lag”.

3 Likes

Then stop the tradition, ta-da, easy solution.

Goal failed, and stupid from the get go. Its intentionally making ghost towns of older content then having the gall to tell us it makes the world lager. You cant even stick to your own reasoning.

Brain dead devs.

12 Likes

The original post is their comment. It was made in response to the other thread.

1 Like

Yes, they can, and I wish you luck on your future MMO endeavors.

1 Like

While we’re at it, make the new Stormwind/Portal room > Boralus portal put you in the middle of the room instead of RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FRICKIN’ SILITHUS PORTAL that fills up your ENTIRE SCREEN.

I have accidentally portaled to Silithus from Boralus so many times on arriving there just by moving forward via mouse controls, or trying to click somewhere on the game window to bring it back into focus since I’ve tabbed out through a hundred years of loading screen.

Kinda reminds me of the no flying kerfuffle in Warlords. While not the end of the world, it does make it more of a hassle to get around. You’re also more likely to see an increasing number of areas empty.

Blizzard. Once you open the Pandora’s Box, one does not simply shut it.

11 Likes

I’ve wondered this about shard tech.

If the “world” only exists while a shard is populated, it makes sense to disincentivize people out of using most of the world. Fewer resources used if you’re scraping coppers.

Terrible for actual user gameplay. Nothing breaks immersion like seeing players, herbs, etc phase out in front of me :unamused:

11 Likes

hows that Master Loot removal going for ya?
Saving you any time gearing up?

1 Like

At the time I wrote that, I was the 3678th total, meaning 3677 after their opening post, without further comment :slight_smile:

Sigh, wrong character posted haha.

He doesn’t raid so he doesn’t use it. So he doesn’t care because it doesn’t affect him, which is why he doesn’t care about the portals being removed as well.

2 Likes

It’s shocking to see the amount of people who are angry or against this change and yet Blizzard doesn’t seem to care. I would understand wanting to increase travel time if there was new content in the old world areas. Now people are primarily using these portals to get to old content in order to farm old raids and dungeons. This can already take a large amount of time due to RNG so just adding more time is a huge inconvenience. This is especially true for the many that run this old content on multiple alts. The fact that one moderator actually had to ask why anyone would need a portal to Caverns of time shows how some of the people at Blizzard are out of touch with what the community is actually doing. I love Wow and unlike a lot of people I’ve actually enjoyed BFA despite some issues I feel the Devs have repaired or they are in the process of repairing. However this issue really bothers me more then most due to the fact that even after this response there doesn’t seem to be any good reason for this change. Also why move the portal location to the edge of the continent in Broken Isles and to the Jade forest?

9 Likes

Is it just me or do people see the problem with unsubbing to send a message? You can’t post on these forums without and active account. Therefore Blizzard does not see why you leave except on quick, “I’m mad, I’m unsubbing.” post that can be glanced over quickly because there’s no real feedback. Then they calculate that the reason for the unsubbing en mass is because they’re not pushing current and new content enough. Rince and repeat until the game is unplayable except by those who live for new content.

This game has gotten way too big to be taking away portals. We want to play the game at the location we’re going to, not spend half the time traveling in a world we’ve already been through countless times. There are so many points to travel to and things to do now that it more than makes up for the ‘loss of travel’ that portals give.

1 Like

I have to say Blizz was dropped a line where they could be the bad guy and immediately turn into the good guy…but instead they like the current bad guy role and opted to pull the trigger.

3 Likes

They can also make player adoption of the current content appear higher. “As of 8.1.5, players began spending 87% more time in current content as compared to legacy content” (because most of them decided legacy content isn’t worth the hassle).

8 Likes

This is currently Blizzard’s definition of “communicating” with their players/customers.

It is the only model that they seem to know.

6 Likes

This has been disproven many times over. Maybe we’re not supposed to be able to post without an active sub, but that stipulation has been broken almost as long as the new forums have been running.

Whether or not Blizzard is actually behind letting their unsubbed players continue to post as a way to make it seem they haven’t – thats a bit too tin-foil-hat for me to decide.

1 Like