Realm Transfers made me quit WoW

I honestly am just going back to RuneScape because WoW classic is pathetic as can be. Essentially force Transfers off bene during wotlk release, now that I’m returning, and I transferred to sulfuras which as well all knew would happen is a dead server for alliance and horde, not even any horde leveling. Now I can’t transfer back to my main server because blizzard can’t do crap right. Enjoy this crap hole of a game, been a crap show since the original wotlk release. Get your stuff together blizzard you’re single handedly killing one of the best MMOs in history. New worlds starting to sound better than this. No point in sticking around for the next expansion I’ll probably just sit in 15 hour ques and have to transfer servers again.

2 Likes

Well, your post seems pretty salty, but I think that’s understandable.

Server transfers, population shifts, guilds breaking up and scattered characters and friends across multiple servers can feel pretty bad.

I’ve definitely had (as I’m sure most of us have) my fair share of such things. Near the end of P2 of TBC Classic when my guild’s main raid group fell apart, I looked around and saw no more Alliance on Faerlina, people quitting, scattered, and I guess I was just burnt out. I took that time to stop playing.

I wasn’t expecting to come back for Wrath Classic, but I did, and I rolled on Skyfury. Of course the whole, “we all knew it was temporary,” thing exists, but when the server locked and an overflow server was added, one couldn’t help but huff the hopium. Heck, I even transferred some of my old main toons to Eranikus when it filled up, since I had missed the bus on the thriving new evenly balanced PvP server Sulfuras (at the time it was bumping).

A few months in, Skyfury’s population started dwindling, people quit or transferred and it seemed rarer and rarer to have a full raid group.

Eventually… inevitably, people gave up and the guild fell apart.

This time though, I don’t know if I had become desensitized or I was just enjoying my wrath experience or characters so much, I decided that I wanted to keep going.

I checked out some other server discords. Oh! Can’t transfer to Grobbulus… rip. It came down to Eranikus or Whitemane. I posted what I was looking for in both, talked to some guilds, and ended up transferring to Whitemane.

Fortunately, the guild I landed in has been a great fit. I suspect if I had gone to Eranikus then, I’d be right back in the same boat now and idk if I’d have the will to keep going!

Transfers have wreaked havoc on server populations continuously since their introduction. And we’ve seen this time and time again.

I’ve stated this before and I still firmly hold this perspective, drastic changes to server population is the biggest issue in the Classic series, and Blizzard has yet to come up with any meaningful ways to deal with this.

1 Like

When did that happen? I played on Bene nonstop from before wrath launch up until a couple months ago and never noticed any forced transfer.

…oh you mean you made a mistake and need to find a way to blame Blizzard for it lol

3 Likes

People had 10hr+ hour queues to log into Bene on wotlk launch so Blizzard enabled free transfers then locked the servers people were originally on.

1 Like

lol They did that on Grobb and it was hilarious. Then people cried that they were “forced” to transfer instead of just waiting the whole week for the queues to go away… That FOMO can be wild. All the normal, rational critical thinkers found ways to deal with it instead of freaking out over a small issue.

People who couldn’t handle those queues didn’t need to be on these servers anyways.

1 Like

I mean, that’s not really fair to say. They have characters and wanted to play launch with their friends on their servers.

There clearly wasn’t a good solution but Blizz should allow people to xfer back now that wotlk has died down imo.

1 Like

You mean you used scripts to keep your characters online 24hrs a day. What a normal and healthy way to have to play a game !

No. Why would I do that? That’s silly and I’m way to lazy for that.

It’s very fair to say.

Yeah because keep servers locked when there will never be a queue again is such great game design

Blizzard only forced transfers for realms they closed.

Bye.
:axe:

2 Likes

Wow, so many blizzard defenders when they have mismanaged servers since p2. They never should have enabled transfers in the first place. They just want that transfer cash. That is probably giving them more credit than they are due. It is most likely incompetence. The servers should have never gotten so big to begin with. A little proactive action on blizzards part would have made the entire classic experience way better. Instead they have the steaming pile that it is.

3 Likes

Yep totally agree. Big part of the problem is they never closed the servers and even added layering. People warned Blizzard when they added layering that it was a slippery slope and Blizzard just pushed more throught.

1 Like

Blizzard explained there is a limit to having 50k players on a single server all playing at once. I mean, it sucked but, go work for them and help them solve it! There is sometimes a hard limit to these things.

They really need to let people xfer off of the dead servers for free though, no one is really playing wotlk anymore like they were at launch lol.

So to get around the small issue of 10 hour ques preventing thousands of players from logging on you did… nothing? Genius strategy.

i don’t need scripts to log in and then do other stuff. It’s not a hard concept.

on a scale from 1 to ‘snob’ , what was your forum activity like when you took the transfer?

I mean… they have, but the classic community will not accept it because it is to retail, and introducing it at this point won’t change anything as it is already to late.

and they took to the transfers off to play now and complain later. That is the deal they made. Just like those who stayed on benediction decided to complain now and play later.

Yep, like knowing queue times and logging yourself in via phone so that when you get home and sit down you are online…

I would have to agree. Even though I know it will cause queue times for whatever come post-P5 and maybe even for P4 since everyone has a hard-on for Arthas.

1 Like

Keeping yourself logged in, but you’re not there. Okay buddy.

I suppose to an extent, you could say that locking server transfers is not nothing.