Really low frames when launching WoW; error message says "There is a known GPU driver issue that can cause..."

Starting a couple days ago, I have consistently been getting an issue where when I launch WoW Classic Cata for the first time I have extremely low frames, around 10-20 which makes the game unplayable and it does not improve.

Reloading or relaunching the game does not fix it. The only fix I have found is restarting my PC. Once it restarts, then opening WoW, everything is back to normal at 100+ frames.

One time I did get a pop up message when launching WoW that that said “There is a known GPU driver issue that can cause very slow first time game launches while shaders are built for the first time. This process can take several minutes.”, however like I mentioned the issue did not get better after several minutes and only can be resolved with a PC restart.

I found another thread on the Blizzard tech support forums where another person had the exact same error, but the resolution in that thread seems to be adjusting settings in MSI Afterburner or another GPU adjuster program. However, I do not use any GPU adjustment software that I am aware of.

I have a RTX 2060 in a Lenovo Y740 laptop. I have the Nvidia GeForce Experience app though, but I don’t see any ability to adjust GPU power. I am on the most recent GPU driver (GeForce Game Ready Driver version 555.99 release date 6/4/24).

Anyone know of a resolution or experience this issue? I’ve played consistently since Classic came out in '19 and have not faced any issue like this.

Some other troubleshooting I did which did not resolve the issue:

• Disable addons
  • Load into a different character in a way less populated zone
  • Unplug my external monitor and attempt to play on the laptop screen
  • Reinstall graphics card driver (did this like 3 times, express install and custom install)
  • Blizzard launcher tool for games called Scan and Repair
2 Likes

Hello, I recently started having this exact same problem except Wow Retail. Did you ever find a resolution?

Same attempts by me and I also do not use any GPU adjuster program.

Started happening to me within the last few days as well. I saw that other thread but I also don’t use any GPU apps so idk what the problem is. I don’t have great Internet but it’s always been good enough to get me through a raid. Now they’re halfway through before I even finish zoning in. Thank God Remixers don’t care enough to kick people.

Has anyone found a fix for this? My FPS rate us below 10 and I have updated my GeForce drivers, checked the settings on my nVidia control panel, tried optimizing my game and nothing is working. I had to do a restart on my computer after the driver update so I’m not sure what else I can try. I set my performance level to balanced after trying everything else but that did no good. Has anyone contacted support?

Check your FSR and VRS settings in options. It’s been noticed to affect frame rates.

I found the VRS setting but not the FSR. Is VRS supposed to be disabled? Standard? Aggressive? I have my FPS all set to my refresh rate for my display. I’m running out of ideas here. By the way, I don’t have a gaming mouse. Just a normal mouse. Also, I found instructions on how to set up my nVidia GeForce GPU for optimal gaming so that’s set. I’m looking into any further information available.

So, I am backing out to an earlier version of my graphics driver (same version, just an earlier release date). I want to make sure I have the gaming version of the driver and not the studio version. I will come back and update when it is done.

Update: That did not work so I am going back to a much earlier version of the driver and trying a full, clean install. Apparently, nVidia is aware that some gamers are experiencing issues with their latest update (which was supposed to fix bugs in other games) and they are recommending to back out of it so I am going all the way back to the May 21st version of 555.85. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works!

Update 2: After installing the earlier driver version and restarting my computer, my FPS is now back up to between 50 and 60! I will wait for the next driver version before attempting an update.

It’s not you. And it’s not your drivers. It’s Blizzard/Battlenet flagrant incompetence. They usually insist on the most updated drivers.

Last night, no problem =) Had a decent night gaming.
This morning–update for WoW, ok, updated. Hit play. Nothing. I can see friends playing in game on battlenet.

Play comes back up. I hit play. Nothing. =) What a joy.
Restart comp, clean it all out. Start battlenet. Update =D It just wants to reclaim space (which it did not do the first time, gee I wonder why). Space updated. Hit play. NOTHING!

I’m going to have a hard time to express myself without expletives.

It is not your problem. It is THEIR (#&$#(@%& PROBLEM. My game that I paid for, will not start, but I sure as heck can see all the battlenet extra graphics and which of their games that I never play need updated. It’s not our GPU driver issue. It’s their inability to test and fix things that worked YESTERDAY!!! YESTERDAY YOU…

calm down, it’s just a game, that you paid an extra 20 bucks for for 4 days of early access, supposed to be a week, but ok…no biggie…

The GPU driver worked YESTERDAY. The issue isn’t with the driver. It’s with your implementation of Bnet startup. I would like to start up without Bnet. I realize Blizzard feels the need to force feed stuff at us every time we play a game we actually enjoy, but when you DESTROY PERFORMANCE, the forced ad nonsense is hurting you, not helping you.

1 Like