Really long winded advice thread

Thanks everyone all of your opinions and advice are much appreciated.

After taking into account all everyone said, and after this thread had me realize that I’d get everything up to BFA with just resubbing not purchasing legion, I decided to take the $15 dollar risk. That gives me 30 days before I decide whether I want to invest another $50 into more content.

The nostolgia initially is fantastic… I happened to log on in Shat so the very first thing I did was go solo Kael in TK cause 1) Screw that guy, and 2) one day he’ll drop alar for me. Lol.

Then I started legion… I’m such a lore junky, a sucker for cutscenes and story progression so I loved getting into it… Sylvanas is the warchief? What… Haha.

I then did a couple lfg with a buddy and instantly everything you all said became very apparent. There was not a word of communication. The play style was much more like diablo than the wow I remembered. No strategy just chain pull till everything is dead from aoe… and I gained an entire level from 3 dungeons… It was a truly underwhelming, sort of empty experience.

That being said, then I headed off to do legion stuff and that had the old feeling back again… Out adventuring in a world I don’t know, not being able to fly, getting lost in the area… stopping to fish… That was enjoyable.

So I’ll reserve final judgement for a bit, but I think the plan is to avoid the unrewarding experience that is insta-levels from lfg and just go enjoy being a noob with a hand of a’dal title for a while. Lol.

Really do appreciate all your perspectives on this and now I’m pretty excited about the prospect of playing vanilla a bit again when that happens.

2 Likes

Could care less about gear shower, gear doesnt matter to me. Just like doing quest and doing each dungeon a handful of times. Did all of legions content, worked through 2/3 hordes BFA zones, been checking out the raid content of vanilla/BC since I never got to do those when I played vanilla/BC live, and lvled an ally race to 60 then froze exp so I can do the rest of the revamped zones.

Believe it or not some people can be excited for classic and enjoy retail still. They both offer their merits. I miss the thought and communication that vanilla/BC 5 mans took, base difficulty retail dungeons are speed runs :frowning: , I also hate that they removed the hybrid from my druid :angry: but I like the wide variety of things to do retail offers.

Which is why, I will be playing both :smiley:

1 Like

I personally think that’s a good plan; Legion was really enjoyable content for me storywise-- and if you hang out there at level 110, there is a LOT more great lore and story to experience, some of the best they’ve done recently, IMO.

Also recommended is the endgame for Mists of Pandaria. Some people are all, “LOL PANDAS” but that expansion also had a great story.

1 Like

retail is not the same type of game as vanilla/tbc or wotlk. so i try not to compare them beyond explaining where i think they’ve departed too far from the mmrpg aspects. for example:

most rpg functions have been removed, such as carrying a quiver and arrows as a hunter, carrying portal stones as a mage, ankhs as a shaman, creating poisons as a rogue, training a weapon before using it (now you just equip it and it already is max proficiency), etc.

professions are barely functional, ruined by heirlooms, wod and restrictions on flight.

random lfg/lfr tool ruined the social aspects of the mmorpg, particularly when they expanded it to select from the entire server farm (cloud) and not just the server you’re on. can run a whole dungeon or raid and people in the group dont even talk to each other.

thats for starters. retail/live is not a bad game, its just not a mmorpg. its not immersive. its mostly about dopamine hits and adrenaline rushes now.

1 Like

WoW players have basically devolved into backseat developers, even the people playing retail will tell you it sucks, despite knowing themselves that they like the game and won’t quit.

It’s fashionable and edgy to trash Blizzard, so people just do it regardless of how they really feel, or acknowledging the fact that they haven’t missed a single expansion or lapsed their sub more than a few months.

my reasons for not liking retail are fairly simple.

-I feel so disconnected from other players, there is no social aspect left and those that do only seem to be there to try ruin any fun you would like to have. say hello in a dungeon and no one says anything back, race to end in silence.

• the game is on rails. all the side stuff that you cold get6 involved in is gone, profesions suck, its pretty much raid, mythic+ or bust.

• there is no danger really left out in the open world, and classes are so watered down that everything I try to play all ends up feeling the same after a couple hours, I used to be a hunter and the things I could make it do in classic compared to how limited I feel in retail is mind boggling.

no matter what anyone tells you, its not the same game, not even close. that does not mean you may not like it better, each to their own, but most of us here don’t like the new way of wow.

2 Likes

Would you say it’s accurate to say that Modern is essentially a high-tech version of Simon?

Woah… woah dude… Retail mythic is one of the hardest things that have ever been introduced into WoW ever. Yeah, 60% of players clear it before the next patch but that’s just because all current players are just WAAAY better today. Yeah I am being told what to do, but it’s super hard to do it.

/s

eek. progressively more indepth rote memorization? mmorpgs have that also but it’s like an aspect that isnt quite as heavily focused. there’s socialization skills, various long term achievement goals that arent composed of really fast repetitive tasks. everything’s sped up in retail - presumably because it delivers the dopamine or adrenaline hit quicker.

Okay then. Whenever I see someone talk about the appeal of retail, it always seems to be 100% about mythic raiding, is why I thought of Simon.

reminds me of a study on how climate effects behavior in the long term.

1 Like

I’m so glad I started this thread in what was, at the time, the wrong forum most likely. I really am enjoying the conversation and now having a couple days of subscription time under my belt I can really start to apply what is being said here to actual experience.

So now, 2 days in, I can agree with what a lot of you are saying. The game play itself is waytered down substantially and there is definitely no sense of danger. Back in the vanilla days if you pulled more than 2-3 at level mobs while questing by accident, you needed to run or get really creative with most classes. Questing through this legion content so far it’s been more, “I have to kill 8 of these things for this quest? Ok I’ll round up 10 and aoe them down just to be sure”… I have yet to feel like I was going to die or needed to run. My actual only death so far came soloing ICC earlier… I forgot to tank arthas with my back to the stairs and got booted off the platform. Lol.

Those few LFG runs I did yesterday were enough to turn me off to LFG until I hit max level. Instances used to require thought and coordination. Do we have a rogue to sap that guy? Can the mage sheep one? DONT BREAK THE DAMN CC!!! Now it’s just a rush to the end in silence with no care paid to boss mechanics because they don’t matter.

That all being said, I AM loving just geeking out with new wow lore for the first time in 3-4 years. Chillin with Malfurion and summoning Ysera is some pretty cool stuff. But it’s definitely more like a single player rpg than it is an mmorpg now.

It really is just a very different game… the theory crafting is gone, talent trees, the nerdiness replaced with instant gratification… But the immersiveness of lore is still there for me so far.

Don’t know if I’ll spring for the $50 when I reach the end of legion yet, but I’m certainly excited about a vanilla release and enjoying playing solo retail atm.

To be continued… lol

2 Likes

Technically, it’s categorized as spam…

:cocktail:

If you do all or most of Legion’s 110 endgame, it might last you a couple of months or more unless you hurry through it; there’s a lot there to do. Suramar, Argus, your class quest, maxing our reps to get the class mount, maybe a couple more things I can’t remember. Have fun.

Legion was heavy on dungeon quests for just about everything, so you’ll need to go back at some point. It was possible to gear up and solo them before BfA and the stat squish, don’t know if it is now, but there’s also joining a guild or community that you like, asking for help in chat or the forums, or attempting the in-game Group Finder. There are still plenty of helpful people around who’d be happy to run you through in a group or with their 120, just takes a different kind of effort to find them these days.