Really? Kyrian only real choice? To Venthyr or not

I recently got my monk to the point where he can choose a covenant. Although I really like the Venthyr armor and ability, it seems that Kyrian is the only real choice to make. Since it outperforms in literally every spec for Monk. Apparently Venthyr is the worst possible covenant you can choose for Monk at the moment. I don’t think I’ve seen any around to be honest.

That kind of really REALLY stinks… What a shame, the only other one I was looking at is Nightfae but I really liked the Venthyr zone and storyline.

What do you guys think? Should I stick to Kyrian like 99.9% of the Monk population or just be a rebel and choose Venthyr? Knowing fully well I will not be on par with other monks in Raids/Mythics etc… :frowning:

Unless you intend to push super high end content you can choose any covenant and it’ll be fine. I loved the story of venthyr and the armor is awsome. Pick what you enjoy.

5 Likes

You can play literally any covenant you want. You don’t play at a level where the choice matters, and neither does 95% of these forums (myself included).

2 Likes

Go venthyr I like those little anima gnome monks. They’re cute!

1 Like

Yeah, the nice (and simultaneously terrible) thing about Monk covenants is that they’re all pretty underwhelming so you don’t really get pigeonholed as badly as other classes. They just don’t make a ton of difference. That said, Kyrian for Windwaker is the exception here. But as it was mentioned before, it’s not relevant unless you’re pushing the limits of progression.

My opinion on venthyr as a monk is that it’s the least fun covenant ability to press :frowning:

1 Like

Well I guess I’ll be a rebel. I’ll join the 0.0000000005% of monks that are in Venthyr. shrugs … I suppose I’m just an oddball in that regard. Just love the story line and armor over Kyrian. Call me crazy. I know I will not be on par with those in Kyrian, but whatever.

2 Likes

I feel you man. I was venthyr at the start and made it work but what broke me was the AI.

On progression for huntsman boss fight my ai fallen monks would break the cc on the bears/dogs.

I could literally be on the other side of the room and a fallen monk would run over and hit that cc bear and cause a wipe.

Now if their are no cc required fights next raid I might … big might swap back to venthyr.

I’m night fae and it feels like trash everytime you wipe while close to a kill because you’re not the meta. It’s not worth playing venthyr.

You don’t do mythic raid or high keys, your choice in covenant does.not.matter.

2 Likes

Well I guess I’ll see how things go. Worst case scenario at some point in time I’ll switch to something else. Just kind of sucks that you are somewhat pigeonholed into Kyrian because of the abilities. Oh well… thanks everyone for your feedback and opinion. :smiley:

I’m waiting to hear more about 9.1 and the new legendaries. Then I’m switching to kryian. Don’t listen to others saying only high end players should play what’s optimal. Avoiding a wipe because you did more damage can happen at any skill level or difficulty.

2 Likes

Absolutely pick what you want.

There are a million other reasons that also impact why a wipe happens.

Eh. I don’t know what type of content you plan on doing with your monk but Venthyr is easily the top for solo content like Maw, Torghast, and for questing I don’t really think it matters but I wouldn’t consider it “worse”.

I will say to take it with a grain of salt because I did testing as Venthyr but I currently do content as Kyrian and I’m going off what I remember and applying it to what I’m seeing BUT I STAND BY IT.

Even in keys you can probably perform well enough to hit KSM at a minimum and likely 16/17 keys. It’s just in PvP and Raid that its pretty awful.

And why would you add one more?

You could say that about a lot of things.

Why where any dps specs even present if they aren’t the best melee or ranged? Anything less is just being willingly suboptimal in your raid.

Same with tanks and healers.

Heck, just being a windwalker when the raid could have brought another fire mage or moonkin is already handicapping your raid.

I think a lot of the reason other monks avoid Venthyr is a push-pull factor. Yes, Kyrian weapons of order is good, but a lot of players are also annoyed and dismayed by how badly the braindead AI of the zombie monks functions (or doesn’t).

However, if you enjoy the pet AI, and aren’t bothered by it, that’s a boon for you. It means you won’t get tilted by stuff that annoys other players. Personally, I hate when a pet breaks my CC, so I try to avoid pet business in general, but that’s a taste thing. it’s about how you enjoy the game.

When there’s a lot going on in a big m+ pull, weapons of order is just a simple buff you can mash. It doesnt require the positioning of NF, or the micromanaging of pets like venth, or the targeting circle every minute of bdb. That’s why I chose kyrian. Just simplicity cause I have enough crap to deal with lolol.

2 Likes

Perfect example:

My guilde isn’t cutting edge pushing the hardest content. We were wiping to heroic Sire last night. If I was kryian we would not have had a 0.3% wipe and it would have saved about a hour of pulls.

This was false in Castle Nathria. Many guilds who didn’t have a Windwalker, especially ones stuck on mythic SLG, were doing everything they could to recruit one (and for good reason).

2 Likes

You can’t really be sure. In phase 3 there’s a lot of ways to be suboptimal with damage and being kyrian doesn’t just magically make you do damage. Especially when you have tanks that don’t pull to seeds, ranged that place them weird, time your WDP wrong, etc.

Just because you wiped at a point and said “if only I did 70k more damage” doesn’t mean you were even in a position to do that much damage in the timeframe. You don’t need kyrian to hit the dps checks.

1 Like