README on RPing in Classic

1. RP is what makes an RP-PVP server what it is, amazing.

If you roll on this server and are too good for points 1-8, reconsider your life choices.

3 Likes

Your back story can be what your race’s intro cinematic says with a nod to what class you are playing.

“The human armies are away fighting; we need to train new people to guard the home front. I will take up this sword and shield and train as a warrior to defend my homeland. I will protect the weak. ((I assist people who are being overwhelmed by multiple and/or tough mobs.)) I am polite. ((I say thank you for buffs.)) I am self reliant. ((I take up mining and blacksmithing to make my own armor. I do fishing, cooking, and first aid to heal myself up.)) I will serve the Alliance as requested. ((I do quests.))” - a very basic human warrior

Your character’s likes and quirks can develop over time.

3 Likes

Plenty that did not Role Play rolled on RPPVP servers.

But those who did not respected those who did.

Many came for the mature community and lived and let live.

You are not forced to Role Play, but be respectful with your names and those who RP.

18 Likes

This is good stuff. I’m as excited for the RP as I am to kill alliance! Good post OP. Thank you. See you guys on the Grobb.

Also, don’t forget where you are in the WoW timeline. Both factions just came out of a long bloody conflict that required them to work together to a degree. If you aren’t familiar with the events of Warcraft 3 you can probably find a YouTube video to summarize the situation.

However, we never forgot the past and the atrocities that were committed.

And for lights sake don’t use some god knowledge about events that will happen in the future.

1 Like

The original poster may have the right rules for an RPPVE server, but he has obviously never roleplayed on an RPPVP server. Here’s the right way to roleplay on an RPPVP server:

2 Likes

@susan This also applys for the PvE realm as well. There are people playing on said realm that have no interest in roleplaying, but play on the realm because their friends happen to be into roleplaying, or other various reasons.

Thanks for the info. I will rolling on the PvE RP server for the first time. Some really good suggestions here. I am a bit shy with this stuff but will give it a go.

That’s what I was hoping for. I like the community but don’t really RP. But I would certainly respect the community and not disrupt.

6 Likes

I look forward to seeing you there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My horde toon will be on this server and in the sacred tradition of the Horde I will destroy all alliance that cross my path. “For the Horde!”

1 Like

I agree with everything here except for the alignment bit.

But then, I don’t even like dealing with alignments when I’m playing actual D&D lol. Given how confining and black and white the D&D alignment system is, I don’t really recommend using it if you want to make real characters with actual depth to them.

4 Likes

Long story, but unfortunately for me, my experience in an RP server was not very good.

I got back into WoW shortly after Classic was announced and re-subbed. I’ve always played on PvP servers. For the first time ever though, I didn’t even level cap. I turned on my brain and realized half-way through the leveling zones that I hadn’t had a SINGLE minute of joy in this game. I logged off right there and decided to roll a new character on a role-playing server for the first time because what the hell, there’s nothing else fun in WoW so I’ll take a chance…

I put effort into my new character. I really wanted something new, but also, having caught the WoW Classic bug, wanted to play my main like it was vanilla again. I also heard that RP players are really serious and dedicated about the RP stuff and I should have a backstory to feel immersed in the world. I’ve heard for years about the infamous Moon Guard server’s freak gathering at Goldshire Inn and I didn’t care for that stuff, but in Googling for best RP server for RPing, I kept hearing Moon Guard. So yeah… I picked Moon Guard…

So I re-rolled my mage character (same name and transmogged look) and had a backstory that I was gonna tell EVERYONE who asked:
I was a great human mage who disrupted the great mining operations in Alterac Valley after a grueling 4-day battle, held the line at the Arathi Basin for years, ventured across the lands in a group of 40 brave champions vanquishing some of the toughest threats to Azeroth, and was a hero to all and role model to children of all races, even the green and dead ones. But I, like some wizards have, began dabbling in the dark arts behind the backs of my peers. I was exposed by the most powerful in Dalaran. They didn’t want the public to learn of what I’ve become. They also didn’t have the heart to imprison their children’s hero for life. So in secret, they created a portal to an alternate universe and banished me to it. They also made sure I arrived powerless so I wouldn’t endanger whatever world I was headed to. I had to start a new life in a world that didn’t know of my previous achievements. I was no one there, yet I felt arcane forces in the air. Perhaps the council of Dalaran simply weakened or suppressed my powers, unable to remove them. Perhaps, I could rebuild myself here and be Maynellus again. I thought about all the fun lines I would come up with as I leveled like telling people what Dalaran life was like, people asking if I cleaned up my act and don’t study dark magic anymore, and warlocks asking me why their succubus is winking at me like she knows me.

So yeah, guess how many people I told that story. None! Everyone I found was doing RP through private messages. I even went to the bars in the capital cities where the most RP apparently occurs. It would be packed with people just looking at each other. I just stood there waiting for something to happen so I could join the fun, but nothing did. Occassionally someone would /laugh or say something mid-conversation that only the recipient would understand. Should I have shouted loudly and asked for someone to just talk to me? Who was I to interrupt their RP session? Maybe in vanilla WoW it was more openly social and it’s in Legion that people don’t socialize anymore? I don’t know. Clearly, I had to find someone to RP with directly since it looks like RP situations don’t happen on their own (unless you wanna see people patrolling for some reason).

I remember at level 20ish going down to the basement of one of the bars and seeing a gnome down there all alone just staring at the giant wine barrels. I ask him aloud what he’s doing here and we started a 2 minute conversation about how he came to inspect the barrels and how they look suspicious. I liked it. It lasted two minutes before he walked his little gnome legs up those stairs and was gone. TWO MINUTES! That’s all the role-playing I did from levels 1-59! I’m serious! That. Was. All. Of. It.

So you know what? I decided while leveling that I needed to be in a guild even though I’m not 60 because that seems to be how people find people to RP with. I applied for maybe 30 guilds in guild finder. Only one responded. It was the guild that handed out /ginvites to every person they can find. The guild that had probably a thousand members and half of them didn’t even know they were in a guild. The guild that became infamous in the server and everyone seemed to hate whenever they did anything together. I joined a guild called Shadow Syndicate. They didn’t really play roles in the guild, though. Just a bunch of casuals from amped up young men to soccer moms chilling on Discord and hanging out in-game together. The 3-5 times I did anything with the guild like mounting around zones in a straight line or taking a group photo in front of the bank, I would read “Ugh, Shadow Syndicate is here.” I never understood the hate. They were just being active. I guess they hated all the /ginviting while they were leveling. But they were the ONLY people who freaking talked to me!
At level 59 it was time for me to go through the Dark Portal. I didn’t plan to play this character past 60 (remember, playing vanilla content only) so I just quit right there.
That was my entire RP experience. Would I attempt to do it again? After that, I’m not willing to take the chance. I don’t wanna regret having my main stuck in server that feels dead outside of private conversations.

Obviously I’m not judging RP servers based off of my experience alone. I’m sure most RPers have WAAAAY better memories of role-playing. I wish I knew what it was like.

2 Likes

Yeah this is for sure true. My 2nd (TBC) Server was RP, and while I didnt bother with it, I know it went on for those who did.

1 Like

Come up with something more interesting than standing two abreast at some precipice, staring forlornly at the horizon, and you’ll be farther along than 99% of RPers.

2 Likes

I will be the half dragon, half vampire, half demon secret love child of Arthas and Sylvanas who was given up for adoption at birth and raised by simple farmers in Goldshire.

3 Likes

RP on Moon Guard used to be great a couple of years ago, there were some big, powerful RP guilds on the Alliance side that did plenty of events out in public and around the Cathedral square, and it was easy to find RP even if you didn’t belong. Sadly, those people have moved on… some got roasted in the MG forums by people who didn’t like them so they left and never came back, or they tried, and got bullied off again. It’s sad that stuff like that happens.
Anyway, I hope, with new servers and a fresh start, that some of that sense of community will come back again and open RP will be easy to find.

2 Likes

My RP backstory is . I heard that none of the large TOXIC streamers will be rolling here so … I was born … Now lets PVP …

Am I in ?

4 Likes

What alignment would you say a Scarlet Crusader is in the Classic/vanilla setting? Chaotic Good?

It’s cute that you honestly think most people rolling on Grob are there to RP.