Read my Lips, NO SHARDING

Sharding is the worst possible thing Blizzard could add to Classic WoW. Why even bother going for an authentic vanilla experience if you are going to add the most gamebreaking, complained about feature of BfA.

I quit WoW after 15 years due to sharding. When Classic was announced I was ecstatic, realizing I could finally have WoW without sharding, without Warmode, crossrealm, etc. I could have a WORLD again.

If sharding is implemented into Classic then people might as well go play on private servers for free again. They will be massively upgraded after Classic release when they can just copycat the live version.

THERE IS NO WORLD OF WARCRAFT WITH SHARDING, JUST AN UNTOLD NUMBER OF INDEPENDENT AND UNCONNECTED SHARDS THAT PLAYERS WILL BE SHUFFLED THROUGH NEVER SEEING THE SAME PLAYERS TWICE.

Please, for the love of the light, do not ruin Classic with sharding.

I disbanded my PvP guild due to sharding, people were excited to remake it for Classic wow but now the talk of sharding being implemented is already discouraging some of my friends from coming back.

Please listen to your loyal fans Blizzard.

29 Likes

This is how I view sharding in Classic.

Sharding is when you go to the super bowl and the ticket counter has multiple lines. After youā€™re done with the ticket counter you can move onto the food stand, go to the bathroom and do whatever else with a whole block of people.

Thatā€™s how it may be in Classic. You get to the starter zone ā€œticket counterā€ and then thatā€™s sharded. Then after youā€™re done there. Well, good luck!

1 Like

In response to thousands of complains in BfA the devs/community managers were saying that sharding would only be the first month or two of BfA then no more sharding. We see how that worked out.

1 Like

Got links for those claims? It could change my mind on sharding.

Can you kindly link your source for that? I donā€™t recall them saying sharding would be a temp thing for BFA.

1 Like

A community manager told me that in a thread I will see if I can find it later today its on the old forums.

So not officialā€¦ got it

4 Likes

Blizzard Employee statements arenā€™t official lol?

A dev said my realm ā€œEmerald Dreamā€ would not have sharding in an interview, hows that for official?

If you give them an inch they will take a mile. Sharding was not in Vanilla so it should not be in Classic. It is game breaking, it is immersion breaking, and if even consider it a 50/50 issue that means hundreds of thousands of players vehemently do not want sharding, while the side that does want it is less passionate about the issue only because itā€™s a slight convenience factor. If Blizzard is smart they will not ruin classic by adding one of the most hated features of BfA into it.

2 Likes

So I donā€™t know much about sharding or retail, but Emerald Dream sounds like RP server. Didnā€™t they say sharding is disabled for RP servers specifically?

Literally just typing things as my brain sees it, I could be totally wrong.

Yes, they did say that.

They lied.

1 Like

They claimed they disabled sharding but lied about it.

2 Likes

Massively sued into oblivion you mean. Only reason they havenā€™t been yet is because a legal argument can be made that vanilla is abandonware after cataclysm. When classic launches that argument can no longer be made

3 Likes

This is how I view sharding in Classic.

Sharding is when you go to the Super Bowl and some the friends you arranged to go there with are mysteriously missing. You text them on your phone and they claim they are already there, wondering where you are.

You assume they are pulling your leg or have gone insane and watch the game. After the game, you move outside and suddenly all the people you watched the game with disappear and your friends magically teleport in nearby.

After the initial shock, you discuss the game and you are happy because the Steelers won 23-10. Your friends are angry however, because according them, the Steelers lost 19-30.

6 Likes

Lol I laughed at this more then I should have. Iā€™m not the best with analogies.

I donā€™t think sharding will affect the whole superbowl experience. Just getting in.

1 Like

I too love to spend hours trying to log into the game and waiting in line to kill that one named NPC I need for a quest. Clearly itā€™s only a true Classic experience if we try to log in on launch day and end up on a boat somewhere in Stonetalon.

2 Likes

Thank you for the ā€œRead my Lipsā€ title. Iā€™m sure that will do the trick! :wink:
(yeah thatā€™s sarcasm, but the cute winky-emoji kind)

_https://gph.is/2W4gfye (Awwwā€¦ thought I had level 3 by now. Dang.)

Also, I think that all of the reasons the anti-sharders (I include myself in this group, to be clear) give for no-sharding are shared by the Blizzard devs. They have, however, partially convinced themselves that they will have a massive rush in the first few weeks that will peter out and weā€™ll be left with empty servers a month or two from now if they donā€™t do something like sharding, and then they would have to merge low-pop servers or heavy-handedly ā€œenticeā€ people to transfer from high-pop to low-pop servers.

Iā€™m guessing they want to avoid things like mergers and transfers, and instead may try to build a surge-suppressor out of sharding. Iā€™m skeptical they can thread the needle and not allow too many people in at first and not be left with both way, way, way overpopulated servers and several ghost towns at the same time with sharding.

1 Like

Very good use of ancient George H.W. Bush quote from the days before many of the people on this forum were even born

2 Likes

the audience for classic is in their 30s+, its not a big hit with younger players

Lol way to illustrate your own version of sharding.

There would be only 1 superbowl and your friends would be with you.

The difference is the people you celebrate in the stands with are actually more than you can see.

Fearmongering, willful avoidance of reality, or 3rd party information gathering. Jury is still out.

Speak for yourself. Iā€™m 28 and Iā€™ve already put BFA in the corner while waiting for Classic.

1 Like