Re: Alpha Prot Pally Changes (July 8 2020)

For reference: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/490700/76

Will this change that removes HP from Judgment actually be an overall nerf to performance in terms of being able to effectively generate enough holy power to allow us to keep SOTR up longer than currently on BFA? The biggest weakness we have right now is gaps in mitigation and the one thing that Holy Power did for us in the alpha (at least until now) was give us a way to greatly increase our SOTR uptime.

I’m worried that these changes are going to knock as back down to current levels in which case it’s better to go into the xpac with one of the meta tried and true tanks like BM, War, etc. Hell even DK is looking pretty solid right now.

I’m really not looking forward to holy power on prot but can totally deal with it if it gives us more uptime / control over mitigation than we currently have, but if this effectively knocks our SOTR uptime back down to current levels than this change is extremely disappointing.

Would love it if someone on the alpha/beta next week could try it out once the change is live and report the difference on SOTR uptime as compared to the previous patch.

1 Like

That is going to feel so weird to get used to…

It’s a dumb change for sure, the designers of the spec don’t actually play the spec. They hit a target dummy for 10 minutes and make decisions based on it, it seems.

5 Likes

I like this change, it makes AS a more important ability - so the more flavourful ability is also the higher priority
It reduces our sotr uptime (which was a necessary change) without creating big(ger) gaps of downtime in our rotation; indeed with the hotr change it actually reduces these gaps.
It creates a choice between our rotational abilities dependant on context: do I want to judge for the damage/heal, or do I want to hotr for the uptime. Whereas on live you just always press judgement unless there’s interrupts to do.
Judgement is still a very important ability even though it doesn’t generate holy power, it still gives shining light (which in some situations may be just as valuable as a holy power), it still does big damage, and there’s that sotr amp thing I don’t care about but it’s there.

I was looking forward to prot because we’d have 100% uptime on SotR and now it looks like that will not be a thing.