Rated Solo Shuffle vs Conventional 3v3 SoloQ

Keep in mind that unlike a lot of other games, you’re joining a match with a pre determined spec/character.

If in solo shuffle it let you swap specs each time, then it might be more balanced around skill. If I get 3 dps where all 3 are bad with feral but all 3 are good with boomkin (and you can’t swap specs as of right now), then you’re likely to lose overall.

1 Like

Is that why you play guardian?

Honestly this is kind of unrelated but I feel like normal arena would be a LOT more accessible for people who aren’t already great if there was a better group finder that let you look for consistent teammates even when offline kind of like how in-game guild listings and applications work (I know people don’t use this feature but that’s because there are better alternatives externally we don’t really have that for arena.)

It wouldn’t be because you’d just run into the issue you run into now where people only want partners that are equal or better so you have a ton of people who refuse to play with each other.

Kind of like that LFG arena Discord server died, I think?

they do need to make it so that tanks q with healers though
or its going to be the freest 2400 to play a non paladin tank

crap… it sure as s*** beats waiting in lfg for 30 mins doing nothing bro

1 Like

I agree it’s better than nothing I just don’t understand why they didn’t give us normal 3v3 soloqueue first.

Because it’d be bad. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

3 Likes

By that same logic you’d agree that solo shuffle is bad because it has the same exact problems as conventional 3v3 soloqueue and then some.

wps or rmp would run over sv arcane 6 games in a row. shuffle exists to prevent synergy or its absence from too heavily rewarding lucky players over unlucky ones

2 Likes

There are going to be good and bad lobbies. This will happen no matter what. The difference is instead of being stuck in a bad lobby for 1 game, you get stuck in a bad lobby for 6 games. It is very possible all 3 combinations of dps are bad for you during the shuffle. Shuffling doesn’t change the initial RNG whatsoever. Play 6 games of normal 3v3 and you will get almost the same results. All solo shuffle does is spread it out to 6 games and make it seem better because it’s a larger sample size.

you are incorrect
based on that verbal puke and your refusal to listen to anyone else in this thread making it in their own way, i judge you incapable of catching up to this understanding
goodbye

3 Likes

No I’m not. I get what you’re saying, but shuffling doesn’t actually do anything for the initial RNG. You’re still getting 5 random players, they’re just evened out over 6 games so it seems better. Compare this to 6 individual 3v3 queues. If you disagree, please explain how I’m wrong. As long as they make it so you can’t get the same matchup in a row, the results from queueing 6 times would be just as fair as doing a game of solo shuffle.

This is only a problem if ur the worst of the lot, in which case you deserve the L and to go down

Have already seen it with live solo shuffle
bad healer
dps go 3-3, healer1 6-0, healer 2 0-6

bad dps
dps go 4-2, healers go 3-3, bad dps goes 0-6

if ur not the weak link you’re going 3-3 or 4-2, minimum, guaranteed, so there is no bad lobby

3 Likes

Unintentionally makes it a plus to Q tanks tbh

1. You’re now asking for something other than standard soloQ. If you want a guarantee that matchups aren’t repeated, that’s not how the standard queueing system works.

2. Most human beings don’t care about asymptotic distributions. It doesn’t matter if the sampling distribution of matchups is the same in the large sample limit. Solo shuffle gives a fairness guarantee every single match, whereas soloQ is fair in the limit as the number of games goes to infinity. There’s an obvious psychological difference here, and many players quit standard arena after unlucky streaks.

3. I don’t want to wait longer in-between arenas. A meta/data for win rates conditional on partners/enemies due to certain talent choices can develop on websites outside of the game and be discussed there when you aren’t actively queueing.

1 Like

at least in the solo shuffle the non-meta guy has a few rounds with the FOTM rerollers on his/her team.

it would prob suck really bad in normal 3v3 if u were an offmeta spec .

also imagine if u were solo Qing and some guy who doesnt like u gets on ur team? this used to happen to me alllll the time in skirms in legion… i would do skirms a lot and for some reason this one hunter named ziggybeast just hated me… idk why… but everytime i got him on my team he would craptalk me and do nothing…

so at least with the solo shuffle i have potential to win a round or 2 even if theres a griever(sp) in there with me

i do think that healers are prob going to be the biggest factor in the solo shuffle. i guess if ur the lesser skilled healer ur kinda screwed basically and might end up going 0-6 lol , i see that happen very often.

Well a lot of this also requires more games played to be true - to eliminate RNG you need a big sample size, plus this can just easily fluctuate a lot by someone playing more too

It’s a good indicator but not necessarily the best one especially tournaments are still based around teams (solo shuffle tournaments will mostly be random and the only time you have true control over an outcome is a lobby in which a mirror is present since you can attempt to outperform someone that’s playing the same role as you)

In a lot of solo q games tho you’ll see highest rated person on ladder being the most active one not necessarily the best if tournament players don’t always have time to dedicate to grinding ladder as well, so it’s important to keep these factors in mind

Obviously given a large enough sample of matches played by two players though, the best one should generally end up higher (and the majority of those games need to be placed at the very top end of the ladder too - if not enough top of the ladder games are played there can be a luck element too)

1 Like

I think leaving needs to be adjusted differently as well, but IDK the best solution. Currently, someone can win 5 games in a row, and if someone leaves on the 6th, everyone gets honor as though they won 2-3 times. The person who won more rounds SHOULD get more credit, even if someone leaves. I could absolutely see this being done as griefing where someone who is losing just leaves to deny the winning player(s) more mmr/points or w/e

2 Likes

If guardian still has that immunity in DF then it’ll be very powerful at it. Whenever I’d do an easy honor farm in solo shuffle as guardian, I’d go heart and shapeshifter and mostly just heal+cc.

That guardian/fury/hpriest wasn’t mindless, it was just very easy for anyone who was already good at any druid spec. You still had to cc chain and micro cc the healer and dps. Mechanically guardian is a shell of a spec, especially with all the haste from the berserk conduit.

You won’t be seeing me play, I’m just here using the remainder of a 6 month subscription.