Rated BGs in Classic (Honor system rework)

I think it’s totally possible for a rated battleground system to exist in Classic Season of Mastery without it being out of place. Ranking would be like retail:
1100=Private, 1200=Corporal, 1300=Sergeant, 1400=Master Sergeant, 1500=Sergeant Major, 1600=Knight, 1700=Knight-Lieutenant, 1800=Knight-Captain, 1900=Knight-Champion, 2000=Lieutenant Commander, 2100=Commander, 2200=Marshal, 2300=Field Marshal, 2400=Grand Marshal

I’m not good with editing but I think this would help the imagination flow.
‘imgur. com/a/XSO61aH’ (remove the space)

They could put caps on rating in the first phase so people don’t get ranks that wouldn’t have been possible in original classic but after 3-4 months (Phase 2) I think 2400 would be unlocked and I think you let the community do it’s thing. I do think it’s important that 2400 is extremely difficult to obtain.

Rated battlegrounds would have to be set to 10v10 and Warsong Gultch/Arathi Basin only. Rated Altrec Valley just isn’t a possibility.

Gearing would be very similar to what we have in Classic. example; On Tuesday after maintenance, you login and you have your new updated rank. Once you have the rank for the gear you can go to the vendor and buy the appropriate gear for your rank. Your rank would be whatever your last rating was the week before (not the highest). You would be stuck with the rank until next Tuesday IF you queue matches. I’m not sure if a decay system is needed? I think they can just throttle mmr to make it more difficult to get rating.

If you’re asking “what the point of normal bgs” the answer would be farming marks, reputation and for fun of course. They COULD re-do honor the way it works in tbc and use it as a currency but it would be less work to keep the gear as a gold cost and just remove honor entirely.

This idea would bring in a TON of PvPers that want that rated pvp itch but love classic. I know a lot of people myself that wont come to classic but if this was added they’d go nuts.

3 Likes

I like some kind of rated BG system, but right off the bat I’d say that premades need to be curtailed somehow: they not only lead to gameplay balances, but also abuse; wintrading comes to mind (anyone who thinks otherwise just needs to look at what happened with s1 of tbc classic’s arena ladder); also buying gold (consumables are a big part of classic’s pvp).

1 Like

rbgs would be 10v10 only similar to the way it’s been since release, no solo que. The point of doing normal bgs over rated would be for reputation, marks, and for fun.

Every day now there’s some ridiculous thread wanting to turn Classic into an e-sport. Sad.

1 Like

Welcome to 2021

You realize classic had a Warsong Gultch and Arathi Basin tournament hosted by Blizzard right? and i’m not asking for an esport im asking for fair and competitive PvP

1 Like

You’re absolutely right. There needs to be an option for solo que rated bg’s.

A passive rated mode I can get behind. I played in the Summerbowl and know tons of pvpers want more reason to compete

I don’t really think this would be possible also I think part of the fun is communicating with your bg community on your realm and getting a spot with regulars. Another thing; my idea wouldn’t have an rbg team or charter, it would be your personal rating and you can que with whatever 9 friends you wanted whenever as long as you have 10 people to que.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of it TBH. I wouldn’t mind rated BGs for premades with increased honor gains but i wouldn’t like it linked directly to the rank system.

Not a bad idea either. Maybe like a hidden bracket where if you que a 10 man premade you only get other 10 mans and you get extra honor to offset how long premade games are?

1 Like

Zero chance they will add rated BGs in classic. But feel free to waste your time asking for it.

They held tournaments for WSG and AB, hosted by blizzard as well as other non blizzard entities. Blizzard is fully aware of the pvp crowd. But then again, this wouldn’t change the entire fundamentals of the game, like removing world buffs would be. Doubt it would happen myself, I’m still gonna pvp regardless (not on SOM)

The vanilla pvp season is garbage, so changes are welcome. Personally, i really like the idea of vanilla raiding to get big items for pvp, but the pvp system itself is just such massive garbage that it flops. I find myself wishing that i had something better, but the reality of ranking just makes me not want to play outside of HKing for fun. Its sort of all or nothing, and thats an issue.

Or - and hear me out - you can stop with these garbage ideas of turning classic wow BGs into a rated e-sport and just make premade queues and a currency system for gear so that the best premades get it faster than bad premades and solo queuers.