Rares and their Respawn Rates. Changes are needed

Because its an MMO there will never not be anything to do. It would be such a shame if a players time was actually respected. How crazy would that be? There’d be less whining on the forums to begin with.

Somehow I feel you’ve missed something.

TBH I don’t know why these types of responses keep popping up. It’s not difficult to understand that this was how Legion rares operated for the entire expansion and everyone liked that. How many people complained about how rares worked in Legion? Find me a thread. I’ll wait.

Are rares really rare when you make them more accessible and common?

I have collected every dragon riding script that is dropped thus far by a rare so I too am speaking from a point of having done a grind. I don’t see how I’m twisting anything to fit a narrative when you can take a look at my collection, while not as vast as you say yours is, and say I have been there done that.

I have done the grinds and put in the hours just as you have and I speak from a point of being tired of having something along the lines of the workings of Legion rares and experiencing the best collecting process and then having it torn away come the first major patch of BFA.

I am NOT asking for easy loot, I am NOT asking for higher drop rates. I am asking for the respect of players time, my time, and the time of people who only get a few hours a day to play the game.

Unlike you or I, some people only get an 1-2 hours max to play a day before something more important pulls them away. They may NEVER see an item they want and that in itself discourages people from playing at all.

I want a system that encourages people to play and actually have fun collecting not wasting hours sitting there because something they really want is on a 2 hours spawn rate.

With Legion rares and how they spawned it fostered a better mindset in people who didnt get the drop that day.
“Oh the rare I want on Argus is up today! Going to go kill it! Oh darn didnt get the drop, I’ll just kill it again on an alt and try my luck!”
Less people got upset because they could try multiple times a day even if they didnt get the drop they wanted.

Like I’ve been saying you do NOT need to make the drop 100%, you can LOWER the drop rate for all I care. The fact is the time of the player base is being wasted because someone thought it was a good idea to lock over hundreds of cosmetics being 2+ hour respawns.

1 Like

Ask yourself why they respawn in the the first place if they’re “rare”.

Rare in the MMO world is not a designation of like a hardly never seen creature. Should we just use “Silver/Gold Dragon border Mob”? Rare is just a shorter term for a monster that drops unique loot. That is all.

It loses it’s uniqueness as you make it more common. You want it because it is unique but the changes you propose will it common.

You are destroying the thing you want in order to possess it.

If you played the Legion expansion and early BFA at all this was how rares worked. They respawned more often. You are not destroying a rares identity if the unique drops associated to it are kept at a low drop rate. The only thing is you will get more chances in a day to attempt at that unique drop.

I will reiterate as I have possibly hundreds of times already, the time of players who cannot play as long most is not being respected.

WoW devs have demonstrated their want to innovate the game to fit a more modern approach. Look at account wide everything finally making it into the game come next expansion after all these years. They have said they do not want players to waste their time anymore than they have to. This brings me back to Rares; the way rares work in the past WoW may have been acceptable at the time, but to keep up with an evolving market they need to change it to better promote a healthier game play. Because as I have stated a majority of collectors WILL sit there and wait for a rare to respawn because they don’t want to wander off on the off chance that it spawns and they once again miss the kill.

As newer players trickle in they will find it harder to get a drop from a rare in past expansions because they have to compete with other people also doing the same as the higher level a player is the more likely they are to one shot it as soon as it spawns.

1 Like

If everyone has something, is it really unique?

I’d be happy if they would beef up certain legacy mobs like Sha to make them last longer so more people could tag them.

1 Like

I feel like you’re not reading anything of what I’m saying thoroughly.

1 Like

Ever played a hunter, specifically a BM hunter and tried to tame some of the rares out there? Their spawn rates are FAR lower…

1 Like

I feel like you are missing the point on purpose because it doesn’t align with what you want.

I highly doubt you realize what it is I’m truly complaining about. All you’ve been talking about is “Drops this” “Drops that” I’m talking about the time of a player being wasted on one part of the game when there are multiple parts of the game they could be experiencing.

When you put a proverbial shiny on something there will be someone out there who is going to make it their goal to get that shiny no matter the cost to their sanity. With the rare system in WoW how it is now, players are wasting their time NOT playing the new content trying to get that shiny.

This is about a system that is in place, NOT about mobs and the loot. THIS is the prospect you are missing.

By combining the mob with the loot WITH the system, THIS is the time waster.

2 Likes

I want the flail mogs from the Zereth Mortis rares but they feel impossible to get now that it’s not current content.

MMOs, but design, are time sinks.

The way WoW has designed their “time sinks” compared to other MMO’s is quite frankly absurd. Other MMO’s have tracks that you can work toward to eventually get that thing you want. They have bad luck protection systems in place to prevent you from going too long without seeing something you want.

The systems in WoW are outdated and need to be redone to fit the newer age of MMO’s.

2 Likes

Somehow, WoW still is leader of the MMORPG pack. They do such a good job stealing the best ideas from newer games and implementing them on par or better than the originator. Aside from housing at least. These recently announced additions are 2 of my 3 favorite aspects of SWTOR that WoW did not currently have.

I lucked into Breezebiter a few weeks ago, always having one toon out there. No such luck with Tahonta after YEARS. Yet, here I go. Again. On my own.

This is somewhat disputed as the “leader of the pack” fluctuates between FFXIV and WoW a LOT. GW2 is up there but it will never overtake the two currently vying for the top which is WoW and FFXIV.

As a player of both, both games have certain things the other does not.
FFXIV has the ability to play the story and do some content solo, housing, and tons of evergreen activities that have been there since the base game was re-released and are always being updated with every patch, several rewards systems that do not lean towards FOMO, One character can be all the classes, and their first major graphics update is coming in the next expansion.

WoW is going to have Account wide everything, Majority of areas are not separated by loading screens, Dynamic flying (though they partially stole this from GW2), Tons of collectibles and achievements tied to literally everything, the raid scene is bigger and more competitive, (edit cause I forgot the most important) their collection system is on par with GW2… I can’t really think of more things for WoW but I’m sure there are some.

This is all based on my own opinion though so please do not take it as fact. The point though is that Mostly every other MMO out there respects the players time with their systems.

1 Like

Semi off topic, but what are the FFIV “firsts” races like vs WoW? I only have 2 lowbie 20s in FFIV, so never came close to end game or even mid game. When I raided twice a week, we had a rule “3 wipes one one boss and we are done, unless we ARE making good progress or we vote for one more try”, we weren’t going to be idiots that bash our heads vs the same boss through 2000 wipes and have frustrated lives due to that. Yet, that’s another set of a full work shift hours with nothing to show for it to far too many.

You’re just proposing a lot of complexity using realm hop, something that won’t work on later expansions, this should be designed with gameplay in mind and provide something fun first. that kind of alterantives are also negative for the game, adding complexity to collecting like the army of alts that we needed to beat odds for so many mounts for years.

Because you don’t pay attention to the actual topic, if the rare respawn every 2 + hours is an issue because it doesn’t provide gameplay, a lot of players just open wow in a second monitor and do other things, that’s not gameplay. So, a solution as a I mentioned before, let us farm an item that trigger the rare respawn, that’ll lead to community engagement and actual gameplay instead of being afk.

There’s multiple ways to do it rare, you don’t have to do a rare that just die without any effort but the rare part is that you’ve to waste hours afk meanwhile you’re playing other game or watching movies in your other monitor. You can add a rare item to summon the NPC, that item can drop from other mobs. Everything is about Frequency (amount of attempts) and actual drop %. you can reach the same results with a better approach for the community. You can also reach rarity by doing it hard content like Mage Tower did with the book mount, rarity is relative to the players mind.

True and Devs already acknowledge their own flaws like the Love Rocket because it has a limited amount of attempts per year (that’s frequency) and also a really low drop %.

I don’t agree with the fix inplemented but Devs acknowledge the issue around frustating RNG experience. the problem with rares respawns is basically that you’re not doing any gameplay and I can’t understand how some people defend something that’s not providing fun in the game…Time lost, aeonaxx are also massive time sinks but at least you’ll get the reward 100%.

Exactly, I’d prefer to do BGs, Solo shuffle but I’m a main collector, then in order to invest my time in the most meaningfull way, I opened Crunchyroll or Magic Arena in another monitor and play/watch something else…Is that the goal from Devs? that we have afk gameplay…

2 Likes

That would mainly be Ultimates. It’s a culmination of an entire expansions raid/Extreme trial bosses rolled into a very long boss fight with several phase changes. Though Ultimate’s are only a couple expansions old now so I think the last Ultimate introduced was Omega which was the Stormblood variant of Ultimates. I imagine in Dawntrail we’ll be getting Shadowbringers Ultimates.

1 Like