[Raiding] Additional WoW "Esport" Opportunity

In watching the Post-RWF chat between Liquid’s Max, Echo’s Meeres, Rogerbrown, and Scripe, and Dratnos, Max presented an idea I want to flesh out more, as I think it would be very interesting to see, and potentially participate in.

The RWF this past week broke twitch viewership records, and proves it’s viability as an “Esport”. Max’s idea was to create an event where 1 new boss goes live on the tournament realm for a weekend, released at the same time globally.

This would give the opportunity for any guild who wanted to try their hand at these bosses that only the top 5 guilds in the world will see. (The version of Tindral & Fyrakk that the VAST majority of WoW players who reach them on mythic will see will NOT be the same bosses that were killed world first.)

Added on a weekend, this would present a great opportunity for Blizzard to advertise their ability to make raids, and potentially add a prize pool to guilds/groups who are able to take this boss down - including but not limited to Cosmetics, Cash Prizes, Blizzard store credit, you name it.

A couple key points:

• No dungeon journal - pure blind progress
  • Available until X number of guilds kill it, or for a set duration
  • Broadcast on Warcraft Channel?

A key point against:

• Weakauras would present a big issue, as very few guilds have people capable of making weakauras on the fly - so these bosses would have to be designed in such a way where they are essentially not required.

All that said, I still think it would be super cool to watch and or participate in.

Many guilds don’t raid on the weekend, it would need to be up for 1 full week minimum.

Regardless, I think the limited time FOMO creates bad incentive structures around playing unreasonable hours during that week, it can just be a mage tower type of thing that is available indefinitely, allowing guilds to prog it for the challenge during farm downtime etc. But at that point, its basically just Mythic boss number X+1, and could’ve been released with the raid from the start.

2 Likes