Raid Tuning and Bugs

As a whole, I want to point out that most raids DO NOT feel like they were scaled down correctly. At level 50, I’m aggroing mobs constantly, and shouldn’t be, and bosses are a little more difficult than they should be. It feels like if I were to hit level 60, walking through these raids might feel right… my point being it feels like ALL the raids were tuned to what we will be and not what we are now, and it feels deliberate. Should I be one and two-shotting bosses from 15-year-old raids? Yes I should. And I’m not. Is it difficult? No. But that’s not the point; and this isn’t entitlement. All my legacy raid clears are costing significantly more time than before (DBM FTW), and I could argue that’s because of Blizzard’s secret plot to keep me in the game longer, but I don’t believe in that nonsense. Stopping there, I won’t go any further how or why I feel that’s wrong and keep this strictly to bug reports. I just think these raids were tuned to 60, not 50. I also feel this patch is still PTR at best with a plethora of nuances scattered throughout, but that’s also a complaint for another place. I just really dislike being the test subject, which is why I don’t play PTR or betas. With that said:

Molten Core
Run on: Azaira

• Surgers and Dogs have entirely too large an aggro range. I almost had to trip over mobs before patch, now I’m aggroing half of a 15-year-old instance. That’s a problem.

Blackwing Lair

• Compression valves are not slowing anymore. Maybe that’s by design, but I didn’t see a note of it anywhere.
  • Ebonroc is stuck on the bottom of the ramp. I think he used to pace up the ramp in classic before being permanently moved to at the top of the ramp. Not sure this one matters, except killing him now pulls the nearby mobs too.

Serpentshrine Cavern
Run on: Natori

• Exempt from aggro and boss problems mentioned. SSC feels right.

Black Temple

• Couldn’t talk to Akama to start shade fight until after mobs in room were dead. Prior to patch, could talk to Akama to start upon entry of the room, avoiding mobs altogether.
  • Exempt from aggro and boss problems mentioned. BT feels right.

Tempest Keep

• Bosses seem fine. Haven’t done a full clear in YEARS! Major aggro problem.

Icecrown Citadel (25H)
Run on: Azaira & Bertuin

• When traps are tripped in the opening hall to boss #1 AND on the way to Putricide, mobs are spawning, but you don’t get the buff and you’re not slowed.
  • Sauerfang auto-aggros after the dialog instead of standing at the top of the steps waiting for me to make the first move.
  • Despite visually seeing the difference in the icons, marks of honor are no longer labeled as heroic… they’re all non-heroic. Granted I can buy all the gear with non-heroic marks so I think this was by design. I saw no note of it.

Ulduar (10N)

• Getting hamstringed (slowed) by mobs walking to leviathan (never happened before… I assume because at 120 their attacks would miss)
  • All the trash aggros in the hallways to bosses. Used to be able to skip everything save the corridor of ingenuity.
  • On a side-note, the bosses seem to be the right amount of squishy here… I was one or two-shotting everyone.
  • Yogg Saron was extra cranky, but I can’t put my finger on why. Phase 1 with Sara was on abnormally long.

Firelands(10H)
Run on: Cosabella

• Exempt from aggro and boss problems mentioned. Firelands feels right.

Seige of Orgrimmar(10N)
Run on: Cosabella

• Exempt from aggro and boss problems mentioned. SoO feels right.

As legacy raids and leveling are pretty much all I do, I’ll try and focus and completing all the raids this week and posting my findings here. I’m the guy who looks forward to a new expansion so I can play the old one for transmogs. Maybe some others will have some input as well.

2 Likes

The aggro thing isn’t limited to raids. I was having that same issue while unlocking Void Elves doing the Argus quest lines. I came to the same conclusion you did: it feels like if I capped at 60 I wouldn’t be having these issues, like it’s tuned for future cap and not the current cap.