R7 7800X3D, tips/tweaks?

Upgraded from I7-10700+DDR4 3600Mhz cl 36 to 7800x3d+DDR5 6000Mhz CL30, both using rtx 3080, playing on 4k with medium settings, RT off, view distance to 3 my fps in Vald went from 40-50 fps to 100-120 fps . pretty noticeable gains, in raid I was getting 30 fps on the 10700, now the game feels smooth with 80-140 fps, and the lowest ive seen so far is 60 fps and thats only with large raid sizes.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on tweaking the bios, or configuring it a certain way to maximize the gains. So far I’ve turned PBO to enabled, set Ram to EXPO 2, and put a negative curve to -20.

Anyone else has any suggestions I can do in windows or the BIOS to maximize my gains without getting too heavy in the overclock side of things?

2 Likes

With that CPU there is not much you can do “tweaks” wise that you would even notice. You are already top of the line. King of a heap.

You done very well and should be proud of your build. You at an impasse now though. Only way you can move forward is upgrading your GPU. You have progressed yourself into your last bottleneck. Which is a GPU bottleneck.

1 Like

can’t believe an rtx 3080 is a bottleneck now thats wild .

1 Like

Face it you knew that meme was coming

In all seriousness you have already removed all other bottlenecks. Be Proud of that. Just wait for 5000 series then gets a 4090 dirt cheap or do what I did…

I sold my old RTX 3080 for $500 on facebook. Old PC parts are selling for more than they ever have in this market. I also got an additional $350 OFF the 4090 by opening a new Credit Card. Promotion that if I spent $1000 in my first 3months I would get a 350$ statement credit. $350+500 thats $850 right there off the price.

So when all was said and done my RTX 4090 cost me roughly $750.

Interesting strategy! To be honest I was thinking of trying to sell my 3080 and maybe picking up a radeon 7900 XTX. I see the card is quite cheaper then the 4080 and 4090 and provides seems to be the second best card next to the 4090, also would have the SMART ram combo since the cpu is ryzen too. Or wait till next gen gpu’s since my mobo is pci 5 ready

1 Like

Thanks!

If your serious id sell that 3080 and hop on nerdwallet or credit karma and see what offers are out there for you. For Gaming the XTX isnt Bad at all. But I play a LOT of AAA titles at 4k so I was not willing to lose DLSS 3.0. Nvidia has be over a barrel

Is there anything you did in the bios to optimize the settings, besides those i listed? Im still tryin to figure out if i need to be using EXPO 1 or 2. using 2 atm, theres another seetting called core flex preset profile but i havent done anything with that yet

In general with most motherboards and RAM kits Expo 2 is what you want. Expo 2 is the advertised speed of your kit. Don’t touch anything after that unless you fully know what you’re doing.

I’m sorry I can only be very general with you because I don’t know enough about your kit and motherboard

The most important thing is to make sure you are on the most up-to-date bios and you need to install that immediately. there has been some over-volting issues on the 7800x3D and some motherboards. The most up-to-date bios should resolve this issue

Thanks, yeah I’m on the latest BIOS from a few days ago. My board is the Asus Tuf x670E Gaming + WIFI.
What clock speeds does your CPU Run at in task manager when playing WoW? Mine seems to hover between 4.5-4.7 ghz

1 Like

5.5-6.0ghz depending on the core. Im on the 7900x. I use a lot of apps on the day to day that need more cores and raw clock speeds.

So I will take the hit in gaming for that. But this is 100% personal preference

1 Like

Enabling PBO2 will drop your temps and increase your boost clocks

Try an ALL Core Negative Curve. Its start with -28. If thats not stable try -27 and keep dropping it by 1 till you find a stable build. Also enable the boost Frequency set that to Positive. Then set +200.

My 7950x is stable at -18. Since you are a single CCD chip yours will probably allow a -25 or -28