Quoting Text

I’m having an issue when I quote someone, after I make my post the system removes the quoted text. Not my post, just the quoted text out of it. Anyone know why that’s happening?

Just quoted you to test.

Edit: It is working fine for me. This is how I quote, not sure if you do it the same way. It’s different than the old forums. Now what you do is highlight the text you want to quote, and click on the word “quote” that pops up while highlighting. At least that’s how I do it. Give that a try.

1 Like

It’s because if you quote the entire post, it doesn’t like it. I’m not entirely sure why, but it does.

1 Like

Testing this theory.

Oh it’s completely random. I even made a post a couple of weeks ago about the same very issue.

That might give you some more answers

1 Like

Alrighty. I was just curious, because before this post it happened to maybe 4 posts in a row. For a second i thought I lost the ability to quote or soemthing.

If you reply to someone–it assumes we can figure out that it’s a reply and go back to that post for reference.

Honestly, I liked it better the old way. I like quoting what I’m talking about so that people don’t have to jump back in the thread.

Try quoting just part of what people had to say. It’s clunkier, but more reliable.

Same here, especially if it’s a long thread, I find it much easier to keep the thread of the conversaiton going if I quote the post I’m replying to.

Here is the word on it as far as I know.

If its not working as described then it sounds like they have some kinks to work out maybe, or theres some element I dont understand.

I believe it’s random pal.

Happens to me sometimes too.

It’s definitely not working as described. The only time I have my quotes edited is when I quote the entire post that’s immediately above mine. However, it doesn’t always do that.

That aside, I think that it’d be worse it if worked entirely as described. It’s one thing if it removed the quote form the post immediately above yours. If the post you’re quoting isn’t the one immediately above your, it either confuses people (Karat’s reply to Kirela doesn’t make sense… because I wasn’t replying to you) or it wastes their time digging through it.

Leaving quotes in posts makes it easier to understand what’s going on. The fewer chances you have to make a mistake the more likely it is that you’ll get it right.

1 Like

The problem is the inconsistency.

I’m quoting you in your entirety, and it left it alone.

Honestly, I think it was a waste of time, but maybe it helps condense things for them when they have to gather information. If its not working like they described then I hope they read this thread and get the feedback they need.

Bug seems random. It happened to me about 15 minutes ago. I had replied to a person, hit the “quote” button to paste the snippet into the body of my reply and did ctrl+v to paste in a .GIF and after I hit the big, blue REPLY button, the quoted snippet was removed and my post only contained the .GIF.

I had to click the edit button and reclick the quote button to paste the snippet back into the body of my reply.