Quote from the infamous ‘We don’t want you to play Demonology’ interview

I mean that is a matter of perspective, sure to some people corruption might match the warlock theme, but to others the entire affliction spec is a knockoff necromancer without undead and the abilities that match the warlock theme are all of the ones in destruction and demonology which affliction is missing basically all of outside of demons and shadowbolt.

I would also argue that if an ability would feel out of place and jarring to use rotationally in 2/3rds of a classes specializations, that it isn’t actually part of the classes core fantasy. Fine for situational use, and a good stepping stone “I learned this when I was young” ability, but no more than that.

It would also be cool if Demonic Tyrant made your demons immune to fear for its duration.

2 Likes

It would fit Demo if corruption was a buff to our felguard or felhounds.

Sure but is it still even really corruption anymore at that point? It sounds more like you mark a target with corruption to make your demons deal more damage to it, which is an objectively worse version of demonic empowerment calling itself corruption for nostalgia sake.

Gotta disagree with your point that old demo wouldn’t work without summons. At one time you could legit sacrifice your demon for a buff + its main ability to be usable by you. And wild imps were never huge. Blizz could easily make a third spec for DH that functions like old demo without pets.

A decently fair point, but it still wouldn’t be a Warlock. I don’t want to play a DH, I want to play a Warlock. Also DH is supposed to be the braindead class if they gave old Demo to DH they would have to make it braindead.

1 Like

How do you make demo different from unholy and beast mastery as petmancers?

They already have. Thematically we summon a demon that already exists, we don’t summon random “nameless” undead or capture a pet we then name.
Gameplay wise we are the slow ramp up summon more demons rather than a few hard hitting pets or instant burst army. I will say they need to let us ramp up higher damage but it does play a bit different.
I honestly wanted to see them lean into the you make a pact with your demon and depending on the pet you have out your get a passive buff. Like imp for AoE, felhunter would augment our dreadstalkers and maybe give a passive stealth detection, succubus would give a party buff to leach and make her cc better for PvP again, voidwalker would increase soul link and maybe make health funnel work instant and bugged, lastly delayed Felguard would be single target by just giving soul strike and increase felstorm and remove Felguard specific talents.
Again just a thought but it would fit the you make pacts with demons theme and make us different from the others without just adding more pets.

I think we should be able to have 2 bigger demons, like infernal/abyssal and the like. And we spend soul shards on different buffs or special attacks. Remember how awesome immolation aura was with mannoroths fury? Bring it back as an ability we cast thru our demons, mainly infernal.

So depending on what two demons you had out, you’d have different abilities available.

Or, if they wanted to keep this (lame) short term summon thing going, I think it’d be okay with some QoL changes like removing duration and having them stick around until their energy bar depleted. As well as instant cast tyrant/ vile fiend. I’d also like it if implosion was removed because it is simply counter intuitive to the specs playstyle. Replace it with a firebolt volley. Each imp fires a volley at every enemy in a radius around your target. Then they go back to their single target.

1 Like

They clearly did it to introduce Demon Hunters. They said that WoD Demonology was too addon dependent… and then they proceeded to create Legion Demonology: the single most addon dependent spec in WoW’s history.

3 Likes

Dark apotheosis made meta melee and almost a tank, the only thing we really lacked there was the crit reduction and a couple more defensives.

Kind of like how they took away hungering cold from death knights saying that having an instant cast aoe cc in PvP was too hard to counter and then gave paladins blinding light which was an instant cast aoe cc and functioned borderline identically to hungering cold.

Yeah… sick one blizz.

3 Likes

I’d rather see Demo not be a ramp spec anymore. Ramp doesn’t work in today’s meta. The current way Demo is designed will never allow it to be viable in PvP. In a perfect world I would just rather see WoD/MoP Demo come back since it was completely unique and was viable in all forms of content. However, assuming they will never get the Master Demonologist design back, I’d rather see them move away from the Mass Summoner design and move towards a Master Summoner design. Summoning mass amounts of small demons creates too much visual clutter, thematically makes 0 sense considering we’ve been able to summon Doomguards as permanent pets before, and because of the amount we’re summoning, we’ll never be able to have proper interaction with our demons. I’d rather Demo focus on summoning 1-2 powerful demons and have the rotation function around buffing them and interacting with them. Tone down the ramp DRASTICALLY since the current amount of ramp will never allow it to be viable in PvP or high movement scenarios. Also make our burst empower us and our demons. Having almost all of your power in NPCs and out of your own hands isn’t fun.

1 Like

I Miss Dark Apotheosis…

3 Likes

Completely glossed over what you said when I read it the other day. Demonology didn’t get Grimoire of Sacrifice. You’re just wrong here. Every other spec got it. Demo got Grimoire of Synergy. Demo has never been able to play without a pet aside from when DS was a thing in Vanilla/BC.

Nope. You’re wrong. Grimoire of sacrifice was added in MoP. Synergy wasn’t added until WoD and replaced GoSac in the talents. Demonology was 100% capable of sacrificing their demons in MoP. I used it on void walker as an extra defensive sometimes lol.

2 Likes

Ya I guess you’re right. I don’t remember it because I never played it. It was really bad. Also that doesn’t really change anything. Demo wouldn’t be Demo if it wasn’t on a Warlock. Sure the rotation could be the same but the basis of the spec wouldn’t be. All of the utility, defensives, movement would be completely different. They wouldn’t even have Fear. Also the playstyle definitely would not feel the same without any demons.

Would be interesting to read that interview. They’ve done this with almost every class this expansion. There’s one very standout spec that is tuned well that performs very well in one specific covenant with one specific soulbind and one specific legendary.

It feels more than “oh this one combo has the highest stats”, that would imply they are close choices with one a bit higher. But this xpac that combo is far and away better than all others by a wide margin, enough that people drop the specs and covenants they’d prefer to play for the meta because it is so much better.

it’s a shame they released this way and a shame they won’t have it fixed with their “lesson learned” until 9.3 and then they’ll screw it all up again for 10.0. ugh…c’mon blizz.

2 Likes

I don’t know how many people used it but I miss grimoire of supremacy.

1 Like

I loved Supremacy. Can I pleeeeeeeeease have my permanent infernal back? Even if only as a voidwalker glyph?

1 Like