Questions on my build

I was looking to Raidbots and when I simed a different build then my current one with using thermal void and and lonely winter instead of bone chilling and glacial spike I saw a 1.5k dps increase. Is that because of my mastery? I still use ice lance.

Yeah you’re Mastery is way low for Glacial Spike. Also Haste is generally the best stat for Thermal Void/Frozen Orb builds so it makes sense TV would sim higher. You’ll want three Flash Freeze traits and roughly 30% Mastery before you go Glacial Spike. Once you get to around 35-40% Mastery you’ll probably want to switch to the no Ice Lance (NoIL) build as it’ll start simming higher around there (maybe before, I haven’t simmed standard GS in a while).

That’s also assuming you want to do GS. Other builds are fine, too. I’d argue that in some situations Glacial Spike can be the worst spec for questing/soloing, though it will outperform the other builds in longer encounters and/or against targets with a lot of health, since it has the best sustained damage of the frost builds.

it has the best sustained damage of the frost builds.

What do you mean by this? FOrb builds are bursty in theory, but in practice at higher levels have a relatively even damage distribution over longer fights. Even still, no reason a burstier build wouldn’t do well in raid coughfire

What I mean is that if you sim all the Frost builds for, say, 4 min Patchwork, an optimized NoIL build will have higher DPS than the FOrb or Thermal Void builds.

There are other considerations, but in general NoIL sims the highest.

Maybe, but in reality neither build has a clear DPS advantage over the other in Ny’alotha.

Yeah, basic sims are not accurate representations of actual encounters. One easy example is that Glacial Spike builds are pretty bad for Maut in terms of total damage because you can’t use GS during the stone phase.

Yeah I don’t have the gear of fire and I am not able to do the combustion phase right and my dps and well under my frost