Questions, If Anyone Can Help

I was thinking I wish my snails came in H/P, but according to Rematch, but based on what I had, two Rapanas and a Silkbead, this was the best I could get.

I’ve seen some possible breeds as S/S, which doesn’t sound promising in a snail.

Yeah. Being faster is almost always an advantage in any matchup, but an S/S Rapana still has only 260 speed, which is on the low side of average, so 260 is not worth sacrificing either Health or Power stats for.

Just as an aside, I have been very lucky today.

This morning, I got a pet called Nuts just added to my roster. And just now, I got a Singing Cricket. Pets just keep popping up out of nowhere. They’re drops, they’re awards.

I should be more grateful, but all I’m thinking, “Oh, good. Another pet to level.”

At least they’re rare, so I don’t have to buy blue stones.

1 Like

There’s strategies for all the Pandaria trainer dailies that allow you to include a “carry pet”, an under-25 pet you’re leveling. This bumps the XP fast! With many of them the carries can even be a level 1.

It’s not just the pets. Your alts get lots of XP from winning these too. Kind of a shame they can only be done once a day per account.

2 Likes

Wot Chrummie said. I trudged all around Pandaria for a year doing those dailies to level pets - and it was uphill both ways!

But if you have opened World Quests in Legion, you can do the Family Familiar Tamers repeatedly as long as their World Quest is up - and especially in Pet Week, when two battles with the Safari Hat will levela pet form 1 to 25.

Also, Squirt in the Draenor Garrison is available on a predictable schedule one day every two weeks, and also gives full Tamer XP as many times as you like on that day.

With Squirt and several of the Legion Tamers, you can complete a levelling battle in 1-2 minutes.

For handling your backlog, I would separate your level 1s into:

1. I want to level this ASAP and
  2. Whenever I get around to it

and then just ignore the second category for now.

Really? She’s there today.

I found two H/P Mudshell Conches today. I usually level them by just using them when I go on to catch the next pet.

And I have World Quests in Legion (although I regret unlocking Argus) and Battle for Azeroth unlocked, at last, so that helps. They give charms and leveling stones.

Oh wow. I didn’t notice. I rarely level pets these days. I miss it.

Well, find a stategy that levels pets with her on Xu-Fu’s that you have pets for, and put on your Safari Hat, and go do it. It’s not Pet Week, so it will take 4 battles to level a pet from 1 to 25, but that’s still blazingly fast compared to anything else. Even allowing for not-fast repetition, you should level about 10 pets per hour. It’s a grind, but it pays off.

Yes,I’m sure you can work out a way to beat her yourself, but that’s not the point here. The point is to use a strat that is hyper-optimized to level a carry pet as efficiently as possible, and then do that until your fingers bleed and level a whole raft of pets. There is a heal right beside you, so you don’t even need bandages!

BfA WQ are for Charms. Legion WQ - at least the repeatable ones - are for levelling pets. same as Squirt, but you will want bandages.

The Powerlevelling Guide lays out the best options
https://www.wow-petguide.com/Guide/44/Powerleveling_Guide

2 Likes

Just wanted to offer a suggestion here. As you’re charging through WoW expansions at an impressive rate, suspect you’ll get to Shadowlands before long. Give that one some thought before jumping into it, it’ll take some serious time and effort and isn’t really mandatory before going on to Dragonflight.

The intro scenario may give you some insight into what you’re signing up for. The Maw. You’re looking at an hour or so of that and it’s not pleasant. Then you go into the startup grind, which involves doing all of the quests in all of the storylines in each of the 4 zones. An awful lot of quests. Only then do you open up the WQs.

Admit there are a lot of pets to be had in SL but you’re investing some serious time to open that place up.

1 Like

My buddy told me this, and I thought he was putting me on. He said there was a time when you couldn’t fly in Draenor, Legion or Battle for Azeroth unless you did a huge, long gigantic quest line, going over every area of all the zones, and building rep with every faction, finding treasures, killing rares, etc.

Is this what I can anticipate in Shadowlands?

If so, is there anything in Shadowlands that’s really a must-have kind of pet? If you had to limit your pet collection to 50, for instance, what pets would you absolutely have to have from Shadowlands?

I ask because I just don’t have the resources to buy all the stones I would need to make upgrades to all the pets I have now. So, for the time being, I’m just trying to get the pets that are the most useful. The ones that people really need.

So, unless someone says, “You absolutely must have this pet right now!” I’m going to hold off on Shadowlands. I still don’t have all the stuff I’m trying to get now.

Yes, as Shadowlands still requires completion of its Pathfinder achievement in order to fly there.

1 Like

Looking through the Shadowlands pets, and there are a bunch of them, I couldn’t see any that I’d consider essential.

I suppose some could be handy if you ever get into the “Family” pet achievements, where you need to beat trainers with teams made up of all the same pet type. These can be nasty and tend to involve a large and varied pet collection.

1 Like

Another question. I’m trying to do the Raiding with Leashes stuff, but I haven’t had much luck. Although I did get a Tinytron today. Are there particular raid settings I’m supposed to use to improve my chances?

Also, how frequently can I do them?

You can do each raid once per week. Weeks start on Tuesday.

You can do all raids in Pandaria and later once each on each difficulty per week. Also the last raid in Cataclysm, Dragon Soul. So you can do each of these up to 4 times per character per week - on LFR, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic if available.

For each of these raids, there will be an NPC somewhere you can talk to to get into the LFR mode. With Dragon Soul, it is at the entrance in Caverns of Time. With Mists, it is above Mogushan Palace, at the Lorewalkers. For other modes, you just set your Raid Difficulty by right-clicking your portrait, and walk in.

Pre-Dragon Soul, I think you can do each raid only once per week, even if it has two modes.

10–man vs 25-man makes no difference to the drop rate of pets when soloing them. They’re mostly a 10% drop rate from each boss.

1 Like

There’s one I don’t know how to destroy. Vicscious something-like-that. He’s in the zone where you get the Anubisath Idol. I can freeze him up, but I don’t know how to kill him after that.

Also debating whether I should buy Dragonflight. I don’t have everything I want from the previous expansions, but I notice that seventieth levels can easily solo stuff that I can’t, and they fly a lot faster.

Just having that would make my other stuff easier to do.

I had to refresh my memory on Viscidus. Used a 70 Frost Mage figuring it should be easy. But had a 70 Hunter friend come along to help clear the way.

Mage found it easy enough to do the freezing part but then, as you saw, no matter how many times she hit and refroze Viscidus, he didn’t die. The mage’s health was hardly being affected but she started worrying she was going to die of boredom so had the hunter start pounding away too. Finally the damn thing died.

No pet drop for either of us. Reported drop rate is about 25% but I’ve seen comments about it seeming to be lower than that.

There’s a lot to like about Dragonflight and of course some annoyances. You can learn dragon riding fairly quickly, some storylines with a couple dozen quests to do. This will not let you ride your familar flying mounts, it’s dragons or nothing if you want to fly. And the dragons fly a lot differently than what you’re used to, bothered a lot of players originally. It’s a learning experience plus takes some work to buff up your flying abilities.

It does share most of the same startup grind that Shadowlands required. Need to do lot of questing in each of the 4 zones to complete all the storylines and open up WQs. You can collect wild pets along the way though.

1 Like

Viscidus has to be hit many times quickly to ahatter him. I used to use Crate of Kidnapped Puppies to do that, but I see people on his Wowhead page saying that’s not enough any more?

Only you can decide whether you are ready to buy the expansion and continue to 70. It does, as you say, make things easier and faster to you now, and open up moe content in the Dragon Isles.

I don’t believe it makes sense to buy Dragonflight at this point, since the next expansion The War Within will be out in 3 months. Rather, if you want to continue, I would suggest you buy The War Within, which includes Dragonflight

No point in buying Dragonflight now, and having to buy TWW in a couple of months, when you can get them both in one.

1 Like

Excellent point, which I hadn’t thought about. Had been going with the sometime-in-2024 timing that was announced last year.

Is there now a confirmation as to just when the The War Within launch will hit ?

1 Like

No confirmation, no. It has to be at least 3 months, because of the duration of MoP Remix. I am thinking that pre-patch follows quickly after that. Alpha started early April, and 6 monthis is a normal gestation time, so l suspect Sept or early Oct ar worst.

Another question. Why is the pet XP so terrible when it comes to tamers?

I was battling a Tortollan woman and I swapped in a 23 level pet to get some XP, but after I won, I think the XP bar moved one bubble, if that.

But when swapped in same team to catch a pet, my leveling pet gained a level. And one more fight put this pet at 25th level.

Why does the tamer XP have to be so much worse than just capturing pets?

1 Like

Because of Family and expansion completion achievements.

Huh?

To explain WHY, you kind of have to understand the history.

Tamer XP is 12.5x normal (wild) XP (except for Ashlei, who is 15x)

Pandaria and Draenor Tamers give full Tamer XP. But they are once a day.

In Legion, Tamers still gave full XP, and the original Legion Tamers, the ones included in the Family Familiar achievement, can be battled as much as you like while their WQ is up.

But the achievement Battle on the Broken Isles

required all tamers, and if someone was not logged in on some days when one was up they could be waiting for a long, long time to get it. This caused lots of complaints.

In the next expansion BfA, Blizzard had to deal with the tension between having tamers up all the time with too many sources of Tamer XP, and people complaining about Tamers not being available to complete the achievement.

So they made BfA Tamers available repeatedly 24/7/365, even when their queste were not up. BUT they took the Tamer XP away from them. And they added large rewards of Pet Charms for doing their WQ. And they followed suit in Shadowlands and Dragonflight.

So we are left with

• Pandaria and Draenor giving full Tamer XP, but only once per day.
  • Garrison Battles giving minimum XP, except Squirt, who gives full Tamer XP repeatedly.
  • Legion Familiar Tamers giving full Tamer XP repeatedly, but only while their WQ is up.
  • Other Legion Tamers giving full Tamer XP , but only once, and only while their WQ is up.
  • BFA, SL, DF Tamers giving minimum XP, but always available, and good rewards once per character when their WQ is up.

It’s a kind of patchwork result, but once you understand it, it works well enough.

1 Like