Question on settings for an Nvidia 4080

I have read hundreds of Reddit posts and I still can’t find any good info…

So I am an idiot when it comes to tech, but I have a 4080 and I mainly play WoW as I am pretty busy IRL.

I know it is overkill but I want MAX setting and the game to look as good as possible.

So in the Nvidia Control Panel I have EVERYTHING set to default with “Adjust image settings with Preview” set to “Let the 3d application decide” - Is this right?

Then for the Nvidia Geforce Experience I have the quality slider all the way to the right and I use the settings the experience says is best for WoW. - Is this right?

I don’t understand what 95% of those settings really do so I was wondering if anyone here has any advice that will improve the quality or if I am pretty much there.

And for the record, I have Auto HDR on as I have an Alienware AW3423DWF (set to True Black) if that factors into any settings.

1 Like

None of this matters. WoW isnt a game that requires these settings, as its very limited in the ultra settings. A 4080 and a 2070 will give you the same results graphics wise for wow because it isnt forspoken or dragons dogma 2 etc that require a much higher gcard to have better visuals. WoW is very basic in this department.

2 Likes

For the most part, just set everything in-game to max, then watch as your 4080 bounces off a CPU limit for framerate.

2 Likes

I have a 4090 with an almost 10 year old CPU, sooo yeah. (Wasn’t sure what was going on with Intel after they abandoned hedt so I’ve been sitting on this chip ever since)

It’s bottlenecking for sure but everything’s still maxed out at 100+ fps so im good
(EDIT: it’s more like 6-7ish years rather than 10, my maths is off)

Lmao whats wrong with your brain gramps?!! Upgrade that ish!

1 Like

Wow is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. you are more likely to run into CPU bottlenecks with your 4080 then issues with the 4080 itsself.

I bought a 2070 when it first came out several years ago. Still use it now. My graphics cap out at setting 7. I have since changed my motherboard, CPU, and memory but my graphics still cap out at setting 7 as that’s the recommended. Never understood why but can’t say I care much. Game looks good enough. But WoW’s not really GPU intensive as it is CPU because of all of the players and NPCs running around. The CPU has to keep running a lot of calculations.

I was running on a 3080 and a 6 year old processor with 32 megs of ram and now am on a 4080 64 megs of ram and like a 24 core Intel brand new machine. The difference is extremely noticeable and FAR better… like miles apart. People say that all the time that there aren’t much differences and hardware doesn’t really matter since it is such an old game but I am first hand witness of it. In fact, my daughter uses my old computer and plays wow and when we put them next to each other it is just COMPLETELY different.
Maybe people just say that to justify their own systems and not being able to upgrade them ,but whatever it is It just isnt true. When maxing out settings and putting all things at the highest possible, the game is VERY beautiful. Obviously more-so with Dragonflight/Shadowlands then say Burning Crusade, but it certainly is.

1 Like

It feels mostly true actually. My PC wasn’t built for gaming, I play on 4k, Ultra settings, with an older GPU. Yet I still easily exceed my v-sync, and play on a VM to boot. I mean, granted, I am not a child trying to chase the highest FPS scores, but you’d think somewhere along the way my PC would have said nope.

No, wow doesn’t look unbelievably better with all settings to max. I know since my rig supports it.

a great big many list of things :dracthyr_uwahh_animated:

1 Like

what’s hedt?

That statement is 100% wrong!

Use the GeForce Experience settings because it scans the hardware including the processor, it will set everything to the highest possible settings.

No need to do anything in Nvidia control panel, nor the in gage graphics settings!

Nope, it is 100% true.

high end desk top

basically completely useless to like 90% of people these days which is why they don’t make them anymore, but for me it’s like if i upgrade right now it almost feels like a downgrade even if it isn’t.

also considering that, despite the weird mismatch between my cpu and video card, i’m not really having any problems atm. I can play any game i want and performance could be a lil better, it’s still playable so i kept it as is.

Pretty much maxed out settings, ray-tracing off (it’s WoW…).

Same monitor as you (175hz G-Sync variant), and I run the RPG gaming HDR setting and increase the ingame contrast setting to 75% to make the colors pop.

I did eventually cap the FPS to 100 because early in 10.2 the Emerald Dream zone was making my 4080 fans howl like a B-1B throttling up for takeoff. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info… but when you say maxed out settings, I still don’t know what my original question was… what do you set NVIDIA control panel to and do you use GeForce experince for your WoW settings?

dont worry aout the nvidia settings. Just go into game and crank everything to max.
Your computer will more than handle it bro.
And you might want to turn auto hdr off. IT causes some problems for me and I have a 2070 max q laptop. Not even a quality issue, its something to do with the way it brightens an image. It just doesn’t always work and I have to restart the game or at least reload works sometimes.