Question about WW AoE DPS

Had a friend spamming Crane kick on mobs and pulling way higher DPS than me. I thought that was a bit wrong because of the nature of our Mastery. Was it just his higher iLvl or do y’all do that as well?

Also same question for Serenity, what takes precedence in pulls? Spam crane or rotate with FoF?

Lastly, as a WW monk do you guys use the Dispel Harm ability or is it just a throw-away?

On large pulls 5 mobs or larger ignore your mastery, gain those stacks, max your chi, fixate your clones and spam crane kick, nothing else matters. The only time you might want to adhere to your mastery in 5+ target pulls is if you get a proc of Dance, then you can throw in a TP or BoK to give that proc’d crane kick the extra x% damage increase.

Don’t use Serenity, not only is WDP stronger in all forms of content, but taking serenity is actually a large DPS loss in AOE since it becomes much more tedious to gain crane kick stacks.

Dispel harm is a decent heal if you take the conduit, but it’s main bonus is that it gives 1 chi and if you’re doing ST pull or AoE 4 targets or less it can be a filler to not break your mastery.

1 Like

Spin go brrrrrrrr

But generally I think the math checks out that if it’s a 5 or 6 mob pull, ignoring mastery is more efficient.

You don’t play Serenity in PVE. It’s a garbage talent.

I assume you mean Expel Harm. It’s a quick filler that’s GCD is lower than Jab, so yes it’s a good chi generation to use and should be used off CD

Thanks to both of you, That’s wild. Never knew that your clones stack spin.

I have trouble believing that serenity is garbage, though. High dps in WoW seems to be all about taking damage multipliers rather than static damage. (Stacking % on % on %) Serenity + tier set bonus + Bone dust brew… how can that possibly be bad damage?

I don’t know about single-target precisely, but Serenity sucks for AoE since you don’t have SEF clones applying the crane debuff on other mobs for you

SEF clones are all affected by mark stacks, but also clones do 45% damage. 45%x3 = 135% when forced onto one target.

SEF itself is a stronger burst CD than Serenity, Serenity just lets you not use chi for your burst, which is super fun with Kyrian, but that’s about it. If the game was more slow paced for damage, Spiritual Focus would be the best talent in that tier just because it’s so efficient to have more images than Serenity or WDP. SEF is just a boring CD to use.

Just to follow up, and take this with a grain of salt because I haven’t pvp’d at all this season, but was 2100ish the previous two, previously the only time taking serenity is ever worth while is when you’re doing arena against a mage, mostly because your clones can be locked down infinitely so you gain nothing from using it.

That said I cannot think of a singular PVE encounter this entire expansion where serenity was the go to choice, it certainly loses out in aoe content, and all single target to my knowledge.

Mmm, I’ll speak on PVP a little bit for WW I guess.

Serenity is good into matchups where you are going to have pets rooted or abused. Druids, Mages are the immediate ones people think about, but they always forget other WWs, warlocks, hunters, and warriors. You can also take Serenity into amtchups where you won’t be playing a lot and need to play for setup goes, generally this will just make it easier.

But for 99% of content SEF is better.

This isnt even possible. At best, you can cast spinning crane kick 3x before needing to use a chi building skill.
Unless you are fighting low health mobs, it is a dps loss not to weave in tiger palm, blackout kick and rising sun kick on up to 5 targets for the SPK damage buff and to make use of the mastery damage buff.
ie, if you are killing mobs that will die in three gcd, then go ahead and use spinning crane kick 3x, but with mobs dieing that fast its mostly irrelevant what you do.

(https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/windwalker-monk-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities)

Is a good place to see a rotation and how skills are prioritized.

1 Like

Bonedust brew.

Weapons of Order.

This isn’t entirely true. This is situational, but spamming out 5 BOKs to get your crane stacks up is mathematically better for DPS than weaving your mastery.

101 on how to tell you don’t know anything about minmaxxed DPS. You SPAM SCK in AOE pulls because it is your highest DPS/chi output. If you need chi to get another one out? Guess what… You press Jab and then SCK it again. This is why Bonedust & Weapons are so insane for WW, you get to spam more

Idk what’s with the posts today of people just spreading such bad information about monks

46 of the top 50 WW mythic+ are not kyrian, they are necrolord.

(https://raider.io/mythic-plus-character-rankings/season-sl-3/world/monk/dps)

To “spam” a skill means that you are pressing that skill repeatedly and nothing else, otherwise it would be called a rotation. Even with necrolord’s Bonedust Brew (which is on a 1 min cd) you cannot “spam” spinning crane kick, because you do not generate more chi than you consume.
It is precisly why you do not ignore the mastery damage bonus by not weaving in other skills, unless the mobs you are fighting would die in 3-4 globals.

1 Like

That guy is a bit of a nutter. In the other thread he was trying to say monks FsK is a stun and then tried to say wow utility is literally anything (he included stuns and cc which most classes have as a unique utility) instead of the actual definition of wow utility which means something noncombat that is unique to a particular class (battle rez, lock rocks, bloodlust, etc).

I would just lol, then ignore him.

Believe it! Serenity does not perform well when you don’t have high damage globals to spend inside of it. The bonus damage % is lower than SEF and any additional effect you’ve listed also works with SEF so it’s not like you are getting any serenity specific bonuses. Coordinated Offensive conduited has also contributed to making sure that clone fixating is valuable and Calculated Strikes + Spinning Crane Kick is worth more DPS than other major abilities in a majority of pulls. Invokers legendary also provides a massive amount of haste that goes into ability CDR + additional BoKs for CDR. The end result that Serenity is just a tool for cooldown reduction on abilities that don’t often need it. Even if you wanted to run some pvp builds Alpha Tiger haste + Keefers Crit make more sense with SEF than they do with Serenity in any situation where your not playing against a root. That’s the short version.

The thread about when to spam vs. not to spam with Spinning Crane Kick is also a fiesta. https://wago.io/2rN0fBudK unless this weak aura tells you to spam SCK then stop breaking mastery. Prioritize stack count + stack uptime and SCK when target count + resources allow.

Your haste, mastery, stack count, and target count + if BDB is up or not contribute a lot to determining if you should ignore chi generation, ignore mastery, or ignore both in favor of spamming SCK or not. I’m taking the hard stance here and saying that either direct people to the weak aura or you direct them to the python sheet explaining when to spam vs weave otherwise generalized information is just wrong and Dpchi has nothing at all to do with this.