Question about ilvl and stats

Ok so I know certain pieces of gear are allocated more stats. Like chest helm and pants.

Currently on my mage I have leggo 291 legs and a 272 cloak. I have a 278 piece of legs that if I turn into tier would be good. If I did that and turned my cloak into a leggo (cloak and legs are only piece I can use my power on) woukd I end up with less stats going from having a 291 legs to cloak? It would be a small increase in ilvl but I pay more attention to stats

1 Like

That is a little confusing to read.
In general, ilevel should be more important than trying to min/max stats. The exception, right now, is the tier sets – you want all four.

I am guessing that the 4 piece bonus would take priority over the loss of stats. Do you know how much exactly, stat wise, you would be losing?

I think the pro players would tell you to “sim it” but I don’t do stuff like that because I am a student of the school of “Ignorance is Bliss”

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. You’ve not given us enough information to know for sure.

That is so far from accurate it hurts. Secondary stats are so impactful the difference between your best and worst can massively outweigh ilvl by more than 15 ilvls.

1 Like

This is so far from accurate it hurts. Ilvl and Primary stats almost always outweigh secondary stats especially if it is more than a 6 ilvl gap. The exception are trinkets, rings, and neck since rings/neck give stamina instead of primary stat.

If secondary stats were so strong, people would eat regular secondary stats food instead of feasts that give primary.

4 Likes

We do that. Look at the stat weights that a simple gem socket that gives 16 secondary stat is worth. Equivalent of 14ilvl. Or lets put it simply and use sims real quick. 60 agi, 80 haste 102 verse higher ilvl on wiehts by 13 ilvl than 52 agi, 62 crit 89 mastery. Oh look at that the 13 ilvl lower item sims better. Why? Because secondary stats that are your class/spec prio vastly outweigh those that are not

4pc Tier > Ilvl > any stats no matter the spec.

2 Likes

13 ilvl is roughly 8-10 points of Primary stat. You are essentially saying that a 259 ilvl piece with bis secondary is better than a 272 with non-bis secondaries. It’s bad advice. I just ran a sim and the higher ilvl piece with non-bis stats out performed t he 259.

There will be times where secondaries are better, but that is almost always when they are lateral upgrades with the same ilvl or close to it like 268-272. Generally, ilvl wins. Especially, when the ilvl gap is larger than 6.

Again, do you eat the feast or the secondary stat food?

2 Likes

Um, no. Almost every spec prefers primary stat nearly 2:1 over secondaries…and for most specs your worst stat is about 85-90% as effective as your best.

As an example, here’s my stat weights:
Intellect: 5.77
Haste: 3.84
Versatility: 3.45
Mastery: 3.43
Critical Strike: 3.24

My worst stat is 84% as effective as my best, but even my best is only 66% as effective as primary.

1 Like

This isn’t legion or earlier with its incidental heavy emphasis on secondaries. Primary goes brrr these days.

2 Likes

Ilvl tends to impact stats, which change how powerful your character is. There are some bonuses tied to gear (azerite power, corruption, legendary powers, tier set, gem sockets) that may make lower ilvl gear with bonuses give your character more of a power boost than some higher ilvl pieces.

Stats have gotten way to complicated.

It hasn’t really. All you need to focus on is getting your 2 Legendaries and 4 set bonus. After that you just equip the highest ilvl gear you can find other than rings/neck/trinket.

As Melisity shared:

All of the secondary stats are close enough and considering that each piece of gear has 2 secondary stats, you will be pretty much set. You can min-max and run sims, but you can also be completely fine ignoring all of that. Especially for 99% of the players.

I got left behind when we went from stack int then hit your haste cap. Bing bang voom, quick simple didnt need to sim for every piece of gear.

Yeah, you don’t really need to sim to do well this expansion as long as you hit some milestones with certain stats. For me as long as I had 20% haste, the rest didn’t really matter.