Questing questions

Question, I have been playing about a couple of months and my boyfriend and some guild members from TOR wants to come play as well. We like to group up but they would be starting from 1(5?) and my characters range from 20 to 70 can we still group up even if mine are higher and play together or would it be better for me to make new characters for those.

After the 1-20 starting areas, zones usually scale to your level so long as you are under 60. So If they have, say a level 11 and you have a level 40. you would be able to quest together without any issue. You also have the option to halt xp gains so they could catch up but I’m not sure where to do that for the alliance.
Also if they wanted to play with your level 70, they have the option of creating death knights which are essentially level 60 after the starting zone

2 Likes

To halt XP gains on an Alliance character, talk to Behsten in Stormwind Keep. He’s in the room to the right as you face the throne (he’s stealthed near the Ashran portal).

Another option would be to create a new character & level it up with your friends until you get to the level of your existing character & then go back to using your old character. That way you’ll always be at their level.

1 Like

Unless you stop XP, you’ll pretty much always be ahead of them.

Imho, it would be better to roll a new toon with them to help show them the things you have learned without them depending excessively on you.

Due to scaling, you can quest with them at level 20 and you at level 60 and the Mobs will appear to be level 20 for them and level 60 for you. The mobs health scales but not as much as your skills do.

A level 20 has one talent and 3/4 spells to draw upon while fighting. A level 60 has 4 talents and a bunch of spells.
The level 60 will overshadow the level 20 to the level 20’s detriment.

2 Likes

As long as all of the characters are in the level range for the content, you can quest together without issues. (If one character is above a bracket, then it significantly nerfs experience, and you won’t be able to queue up for dungeons using LFD together.)

Here are the brackets:

1-20 Zones — Starting Zones
For Alliance: Teldrassil, Dun Morogh, Elwynn Forest, and Azuremyst Isle
For Horde: Tirisfal Glades, Mulgore, Durotar, and Eversong Woods

Also, it’s important to note that some of those zones have race-specific quests, so only characters that match the races can do those. Off the top of my head, the 1-5 areas for Eversong and Azuremyst are Blood Elf and Draenai only respectively, the first few quests in Tirisfal are Undead only, and Mulgore has a Tauren-only questline that runs parallel to other quests throughout the zone.

There are also race-specific starting areas for Goblins, Worgen, and Pandaran. These can only be done by characters of that race, and characters of that race will have to finish those starting zones before they can move onto the rest of the world for questing.

10 - 60 — Classic Zones and Dungeons

This covers pretty much all of the zones in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms (except the 80+ Cata zones, which I’ll cover later.)

These scale up to 60, but do have minimum requirements. (40 is the highest minimum level, so by level 40 all the Classic zones are open.) So, a 60 can quest with a level 10, but they’ll have to pick a zone that level 10s can do. (You can see the level range for zones when looking at the world map. Zoom out to the continent level, and then mouse over the zones.)

58-80 — Outland and Northrend

All Outland and Northrend zones

80-90 — Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria

All Pandaria zones, and the Cata 80+ zones. (Hyjal, Vashj’ir, Deepholm, Uldum, and Twilight Highlands)

90-100 — Warlords of Draenor

All Warlords of Draenor zones. (Tanaan is level 100 only.)

98-110 — Legion

All Legion Zones. (Surmar, Broken Shore, and Argus are 110 only.)

110-120 — Battle for Azeroth

All Zanadlar and Kul’Tiras Zones.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.