QUEST ISSUE: Patterns Within Patterns

So, 9.2 happened Tuesday, it is now 09:30 on Thursday that is about 1.5 days of gameplay.

Started the “Patterns Within Patterns” quest as soon as I could after launch of new patch, was up at about 80% completion, Logged in after server reset to try to finish my quest. Research out of game had indicated it was on a 3 day reset, so I had today to finish… RIGHT?

Log in and nope. new quest to pick up, zero completion, start over waste all that time you spent…

I hope this is a bug. I hope this wasn’t “as intended”.

Can you indicate what happened here? and what a player is supposed to do when after doing every quest, every WQ, every daily, and opening a ton of boxes, and killing several bosses, I got to 80% and then reset significantly before the “3 day” anticipated. ALL that game time wasted as this quest is (according to all sources) the single most important thing to do for progressing through the new content.

3 Likes

Per wowhead “On this first reset, this short 3-day timer has even more significance - Patch 9.2 started with the timer already 1 day in, which means the first reset of Patterns Within Patterns will occur at the next daily reset (February 24th) for both NA and EU regions
Source

Sad to say I just logged in to find I lost progress, too. It takes forever to fill the bar after finishing the quests and I was about 37%. I do have a new quest to pick up in the town, but that means starting over. I assumed it would be like Shaping Fate where you could continue after reset to pick up where you left off. I am going to put a thread in bug reports and hope it wasn’t intended, also.

so we need to start proactively researching exceptions to the posted resets… HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW ANYTHING?

The development team has never made a point of extensively documenting these things. It’s a game. Discovery is a part.

Discovery of lore, and fun and new stuff absolutely, it’s why I’ve been playing this game for 16 years… discovery that a quest I have put time and effort into is just going to reset and discard any work I did is not “discovery”

2 Likes

Discovery of game mechanics is also part of the game.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion, but the developers aren’t obligated to agree, and it’s their system, so it’s implemented according to their desires.

The practical outcome of this discussion: don’t be surprised if this is not a bug and complaining about it here is useless. If it’s their intended design it literally cannot be a bug according to the only definition that matters: theirs.

You should hedge your bet by posting a suggestion to change it in a non-Support forum. (This is what you would do if you don’t agree with an intentional design choice.)

If you want to report this behavior as a bug, there’s already a thread open in the Bug Reports forum for this. (Reporting a gameplay issue in Technical Support won’t work, since this forum is restricted to troubleshooting computer and connectivity issues.)

If you wish you suggest the developers reconsider this design choice, I’d recommend a topic in the Quests forum. This one is already open.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing those threads! I just noticed on general, there are some discussions happening there, as well. According to some posters, there was a countdown for the quest on the log, but not on the tracked quest itself, so it is not obvious if you don’t look in the log.

2 Likes

I suspect it will change. It surprised enough people and had a big enough impact that there’s ample feedback for the devs to prioritize changing it to follow the pattern of emissary/calling/weekly quests.

2 Likes

Hopefully!

1 Like

Same happened to me today was like where did it go, after i reached 100 percent completion the quest disappeared and went back to zero completed . Hope were right and its a bug .

Are we expected to go to a 3rd party website to look this stuff up when there’s already an established way these work? Weekly, and less commonly bi-weekly quests have been part of WoW for multiple expansions. This is a “gotcha” and it feels bad to be actively playing the game and losing progress to an arbitrary change only documented on a 3rd party site.

1 Like

FYI: :smiley:

1 Like

Also, the blizzard rep responded to my question about whether it would carry over week to week:

I’m finding it next to impossible to complete this quest. there is just not enough dailies available to even do it. How are you supposed to complete it?

Killing rares and looting treasures gives plenty of %.

Well Do all the Daily’s, Try to loot as many treasure chests as you can. and Kill Rare Mobs. I found that getting an app at CurseForge.com helped me in Zereth Mortis a lot. And remember if you really want to complete this … Rares Pop up randomly in the game, they don’t necessarily show on the Map tho. I found that use an app called Rare Announce, allows other players to tell when they are getting ready to kill a Rare Mob, & the Map Coordinates its located in. Good Luck!

getting tomcat tours addon helps

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.