Quel'dorei v. Ren'dorei Tally

Hi. I don’t know if something like this has been posted before, but I like numbers, do I did a thing. I tallied up how many Void Elf characters were listed as “Ren’dorei” or “Quel’dorei”.

Scientific Method!

Observation
People can semi-emulate high elves using void elves with, for lack of a better word, “earthy” skin tones.

Hypothesis
There will be more Quel’dorei than Ren’dorei.

Experiment
I tallied up how many of each kind of Void Elf there were in Stormwind (on MG and WrA) and Duskwood (on WrA).

Full Methods
  1. They had to have a RP Profile.
    a. This is because Ren’dorei can have earthy skin tones, so I wanted to be fair and only count them if they had an opportunity to declare as Ren’dorei or Quel’dorei.
  2. I ignored certain profiles.
    a. Low level characters that had "Void Elf ", no last name, and earthy skin tones. If they had void skin tones, they were counted as a Ren’dorei.
    b. Any characters that had “ooc character” explicity described
    c. Any earthy-skinned characters whose profiles weren’t loading (mostly on MG, lag bad)
  3. I assumed any unspecified (e.g. “Thalassian”, “Elven”, or “Half-Elf”) were Ren’dorei if they had void skin tones and Quel’dorei if they had earthy skin tones.
  4. Sin’dorei were counted as Quel’dorei.
  5. I have three Ren’dorei, but I only counted one of them.
  6. I wrote down names to make sure I wasn’t double counting. I deleted the lists once I was done.

Results

Quel'dorei: 43
  • WrA: 18
  • MG: 25
Ren'dorei: 68
  • WrA: 26
  • MG 41
San'layn: 2
  • WrA: 1
  • MG: 1
Succubus: 1
  • WrA: 1
  • MG: 0
Half-Kaldorei: 1
  • WrA: 0
  • MG: 1

Conclusions
37.4% of Void Elves are Quel’dorei, 59.1% are Ren’dorei, and 3.5% are Other. Therefore, there are 1.58 Ren’dorei for each Quel’dorei. This is about 8 Ren’dorei for every 5 Quel’dorei.

Though I didn’t do the math on this, a cursory glance at the numbers suggests that the ratio was about equal between Wyrmrest Accord and Moon Guard.

So, there are still more Ren’dorei than Quel’dorei. Which did surprise me! I would have guessed there would be an influx of Quel’dorei once the new skin tones were released, but color me shocked.

A few thoughts on why that might be...
  1. A lot of characters were already Ren’dorei. While some people certainly wrote some kind of “de-voiding” story for their Ren’dorei (and I intend to for Falothorin!) once the new options were released, many probably didn’t.
  2. You can only simulate a Quel’dorei. All the hair colors still don’t match the “high elven” fantasy of earthy hair colors to match the natural skin tones.
  3. The original purpose of this tally was to gauge interest in earthy hair colors for void elves, assuming that almost all “Quel’dorei” characters would want that option. I do wonder how many Void Elf characters would use the earthy hair colors, earthy skin tones and still call themselves Ren’dorei, due to the political affiliation.
Thoughts on Improving a Future Tally
  1. I’d probably establish some kind of level floor. Like… Must be greater than level 15 or 20.
  2. I might be a little more exclusive. Like, when unsure, I tried to sort them into a category. So, maybe just exclude the characters that don’t explicitly declare their affiliation. I like the “If the race was generic, go with the skin-type”, but that did lead to a few problems (like, one “elf” character had an earthy skin tone but a void aura, and I counted them as “Quel’dorei”).
  3. I might be more rigorous on excluding profiles which don’t seem like actual RP profiles. For example, must have one of the following: last name, custom icon, custom race, custom class, etc.
  4. Count Sin’dorei separately. There were a few of them! Maybe about four or five?

Anyways, that’s all! Thanks for reading! :smiley:

8 Likes

You are advancing the cause of science.

6 Likes

Have you tried giving them eggs though?

5 Likes

I propose a census based on area populations!

I demand to know the amount of Wayfarer’s vs Goldshire Quel’dorei.

… for science.

I did find this fascinating how many folks I saw post changes playing themselves as formally Blood Elf Never Void Elf defectors. It makes me wonder how many “Oh yeah I hated those guys” Silver Covenant are on the Horde.

Basically who continues the roleplay as a political extension of the Faction War vs. who’s playing just “Coming Home” with differences already sorted.

Also also, as a writing exercise I’d be interested in hearing how many of those folks have some sort of new inciting incident that just coincides with the customization changes or who’s been saying they were always a defector and now their eyes just match what they had in mind.

/puff bubble pipe

Fascinating.

3 Likes

calm down gandalf

Edit for posterity

The way I see it is the OG old guard in the Alliance is the Silver Covenant and the government of Silvermoon are the two ‘big’ factions at play.

Everything in between was grey zone with a bit of shading.

1 Like

Honestly, while I don’t use an RP addon (I’ve become so fickle with coming and going with the game it’s not worth keeping rewriting the same backstory. And I’ve got unlimited data cap so downloading the client is a non-issue for me), I’d classify Vanndrel here still as a Ren’dorei despite his more common Elf appearance. I kept the Voided Hair, after all. I didn’t even mind the Blueberry skin. It’s just…this feels more “right” to the state of the character, ya know?

Plus it really was stupid our Windrunner Sister got to keep her standard skin color and the rest of us didn’t. Now I just want Void Tattoos.

1 Like

I feel like I recorded you somehow?

Or saw you?

I don’t know.

I clicked on everyone in Stormwind for like two days. I deleted my list last night, so I can’t remember lol

I can safely say it was not me because I haven’t been back to Stormwind in over a week.

I have a blue eyed Blood Elf. Does that count?

I only counted Alliance characters.

Fool! Nothing will beat my Blue Eyes White Dragon!

4 Likes

Tch. Typical bias. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=7Isb9QDKC7M

1 Like

Flips up Dragon Capture Jar

All respect to whatever way you wanna handle it, but are you aware of the back-up-profile feature in TRP? Either way it’s worth stating for posterity cause I see a lot of TRPs, by people who probably don’t know this, with profiles that say they got wiped and are a rewrite in progress, so I started dumping all of mine to a txt file as a contingency.