QoL Request: Unrestricted Transmogrification

Greetings!

I know, from the magnitude of content being published by creators within the community, that there’s going to be much needed QoL updates for the transmogrification collection coming in the War Within (these aren’t spoilers, quieten those pitchforks, please), including the capability to view the entire collection from a single alt via newly added or updated drop down menus.

What still perplexes me is that there still seems to be an unfortunate habit of the game developers doing a faerie dance around the topic of relinquishing the limitations upon who or what can use which appearances, allowing a full access to use our hard earned collectibles across characters regardless of armor type.

This is, honestly, frustrating to many, both for collectors and roleplayers alike because, for our general day to day shenanigans in-game, our inventories and banks are cluttered with items that our class normally wouldn’t have access to via the collection system so that we may wear them.

It’s equally frustrating that throughout discussions about representation and alt friendliness, there doesn’t seem to be any consideration towards the enforcement of “class fantasy” upon the player base, which I’d make the argument is highly subjective and is up to personal intrepretation.

This, in my opinion, hurts the experience, not enhances it.

Let’s take, for example, the fact that it’s been commonly accepted amongst a good portion of the WoW community that those who play hunters generally receive atrocious tier sets each expansion, with limited options provided through sharing the mail armor type with shamans and, since Dragonflight, the Dracthyr.

Normally, if the option existed, this wouldn’t be an issue since the ability to play mix and match to dress up your own characters’ would allow such freedom in customization, meaning that players’ wouldn’t feel like they’re being subjected to the items that they don’t feel any attachment towards collecting.

It eliminates that feeling of resentment associated with maining a mail class, since you could simply use the appearances from anywhere else that you like, rather than feel stuck with whatever the game developers have enforced upon you.

Which moves me into my last point - class fantasy.

I don’t see how, in any shape or form, why appearances need to be restricted this way, especially when there’s a magnitude of fiction across multiple genres that are consistently rewriting what “class fantasies” are suppose to be. It makes less sense, too, when you consider that, through being allowed to mix and match, many players’ could design amazing outfits that perfectly fits the class fantasies’ just fine.

To give an example from my own personal experience with mixing and matching, I think the pieces given to Evokers’ in their tier sets could make amazing use in a variety of outfits for, say, monks, yet because it’s restricted based on armor type, a monk can neither wear it nor transmogify it.

Going forward, I’d like to see the development team take transmogrification (and its currently repressive restrictions) into consideration when discussing the ideals of representation for its community.

Not only do I want this for myself and my own experience in WoW, but I know, without a doubt, that its’ been talked about at great length across discord servers, social media and amongst my own guildies. This, and the ability to see our hair when wearing helms, are highly requested and long awaited.

Thanking you!

Let’s hope for a response, either soon or eventually.

6 Likes

How is a Monk going to roll around in heavy plate gear?

1 Like

How do mages not trip over their excessively long robes when flinging spells on rough terrains during battle? How do warriors leap large distances while burdened with a gigantic tombstone? How do rogues walk through doors when they have daggers sprouting from their sides?

You tell me how any of this works because by Blizzard’s own design, the rule of cool always outweights whether or not its realistically sensibile.

Yet, regardless of whether its logical or not by yours or my intrepretations, I still think both you, myself and everyone else who still plays WoW should be allowed the option to decide for ourselves what we do or don’t transmogify.

It’s for yourself as much as its for anyone else, and if you want to be a monk rolling in plate, go for it!

(If this didn’t directly reply, apologises. Kept getting errors trying to use the reply function.)

6 Likes

I don’t wanna shock you or anything, but a lot of the existing Heritage Armor sets are pretty heavy-looking. OP is right, the restrictions on transmog have become arbitrary and outdated. I wanted them gone in FFXIV and I want them gone here, too.

7 Likes

This is one of the times I actually mostly agree with Blizzard.  I don’t want to be seeing clothies rocking paladin tier look-alikes or plate-wearers going balls to the wall while using a Linen Robe.

My only bone to pick here is that when they removed armor graduation from the game in Legion, they didn’t honor legacy items that had been earned on old characters affected by the change.  It’s why I have a mail-wearer who still has Brawnhide Armor (a removed leather chest quest reward) in her bank.

Classes that used to be comprised of two armor types should be given the ability to use old items that they’ve otherwise been ineligible to use since patch 7.0.3.

P.S.  And let us be able to hide the leggings slot.  There’s nothing stopping players from using revealing toy items or even removing their pants entirely, so the “let’s keep it classy” comment from Shadowlands is particularly rich coming from a company that later found itself embroiled in a scandal while that same expansion was still current.

3 Likes

I can put my Warrior in a furry suit. I think it’s time for transmog restrictions based on armor type to go bye bye.

1 Like

I can understand disagreeing on whether or not you’d like the aesthetics of what other people choose to transmogify, if the option was given to them, however I believe that what we do or don’t like shouldn’t be used as justification for denying a QoL that, again, benefits you, myself and everyone else, whether in this thread or playing the game.

We’re already beginning to see these lines being blurred with the introduction of cosmetic sets and pieces that aren’t restricted to specific types of wearable armors, with plate users now capable of adorning themselves in Kirin Tor garb or mages decking themselves out in orcish themed plate. So, honestly, I don’t think it matters since we’ve begun to see this change anyways.

Furthermore, as veterans of the game have pointed out to me behind the scenes, the concept of armor types has been a mute point since 2010 by Blizzard’s own decisions, with tier sets being shareable in raids or, since Legion, certain pieces of a tier set were collectible on alts via BoEs when clearing trash mobs.

Blizzard has always excused making this decision on the basis that you need to be able to take one look at someone to know what their class is but that’s also been a mute point since there are players running around Valdrakken as close to nude as the game engine visually allows. They’re certainly not dressed as their class and who am I to tell them that they need to be because of a subjectively personal opinion of some stranger?

Nowadays, what is left is a system that is tedious to navigate, with additional hardwork and time waste that could be solved with a single QoL addition that allows what we can already (mostly) do now become official.

Ultimately, I’m pitching this for yourself as much as I’m pitching it for everyone else because you also deserve to transmogify monstrous abominations to haunt the current cloth classes to your absolute hearts content, and its unfair that Blizzard is teasing all of us with UI changes to Collections to let us see these apppearances, but not let us use them.

I also think that a QoL feature like this would help make the game alt friendlier so that people who’d like to main a specific class but don’t like the appearances they’re restricted with can simply transmog to what they earned and enjoy.

This will mean that plate users can enjoy being able to transmogify their legpieces away from horrendously textured armor to the sexiest of underwear known to Azeroth, the black mageweave leggings!

Lastly, to address your concerns about the Legion graduation of pieces, this is exactly why we need to advocate for this QoL feature because there shouldn’t be a need to remove earned pieces from someone’s collection like that. They should be allowed to stay and they should be wearable by every single alt you have, because its yours and you earned them on that account.

P.S Yes, I agree! Let us be able to hide all pieces of transmog gear.

1 Like

Honestly I also think that if we got unrestricted transmog, you’d see a lot more people just making really cool outfits that you wouldn’t necessarily immediately recognize as being mixed, because there’s a lot of overlap between sets in more recent expansions. We’ve had plate sets that look more like cloth, and mail sets that could pass for plate.

2 Likes

With all the armor-class-agnostic shop sets, the Trading Post ensembles, appearance toys, and other cosmetics, the old justification for armor class restrictions on 'mogging have shifted entirely to just being arbitrary.

I’m in the camp of just dropping those restrictions entirely. If you wish to retain actual player-class restrictions, that’s fine, as long as the class-agnostic variants are allowed across the board. Afterall, there are always one or two pieces that are locked to a class. If those are what remain restricted for restriction’s sake, I’m fine with that.

But the rest of it? I cannot think of a legitimate reason to maintain it anymore.

1 Like

Fair enough.

May I also ask that level restrictions on transmog be done away with? I finally got the Tusks of Mannoroth to drop and my little Orc Warrior can’t transmog them. Are you kidding me? OH COME ON!!!

I’m fairly indifferent here. Customization options are always good, though.

What bothers me, mostly, is that classes who genuinely wore two types of armor didn’t get the option to mog them, and we now have half-sets of old armor made out of (in the hunter’s example, since that’a what I play) leather and mail. Sets that, in appearance, are effectively useless to both leather-wearers and mail-wearers because the head may be leather and the breast mail. This being a part of the currenr system benefits nobody.

1 Like

The same way toons swim in it?

I’d rather see the type of armor impact gameplay and/or RP in a meaningful way than have it restricted. If my Mage wants to wear armor, I want to be sturdy but slow. If my Rogue wants cloth, I’m squishy but fast. This type of change would unfortunately make a complex game even more complicated so…