PvP was at its absolute peak in the Prideful season

Right now both BFA and Classic’s PvP are very, very bad.

In BFA, none of the classes do any damage and the pace is so incredibly slow that every PvP encounter is like a raid boss where you pve each other down. Gear means basically nothing: a 385 character does the same damage as a 440 character.

In classic, everyone one shots each other and the better your opponents gear is you stand NO chance. At all. You can certainly kill people in PvP, unlike BFA, but it’s very bad and is also not really very fun.

Mists of pandaria may not have been the most popular of expansions, but it absolutely nailed the PvP. The resilience on your gear, tier sets, and reforging made it by far the greatest this game has ever been in PvP.

Warlocks were amazing. You could perma run while casting. Massive damage. Great survivability.

Rogues were totally dominant as sub, and not the tragedy of a spec like we have now.

Warriors were amazingly fun to play in battleground as arms.

The game was complex and rewarding to play and the classes felt like they were worth investing time into in order to be good.

Im probably never returning to retail, because I think despite how lopsided classic PvP is, at least I can kill people in an opener as a 60 rogue. Just like the good ol’ days of mop sub. The only thing that would make me play retail again would be a complete overhaul of sub and to re instate tier sets , resilience and reforging.

Wishful thinking, I know. It will never happen. But I like to reminisce.

17 Likes

Mostly for the mogs :joy:

1 Like

Amen. MoP will always be my sweetheart expansion. Maybe Classic Mists of Pandaria will be a thing many years down the road, and I’m sure there’s still MoP private servers up. I called it the Golden Age of Warlocks mainly because of green fire.

It just wasn’t popular because PANDAS.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t get your hopes up zex

1 Like

I should have strayed off the beaten path(warlock) just to see what hunter was like. I’m not sure I want to lose my account yet breaking the EULA.

I agree, I used to be able to spam play PvP all day everyday in MoP, nowadays there is just no incentive to play the game with PvP being boring and limited with gear not mattering, classes having been reduced to a fraction of the complexity and depth they used to have with the removal of glyphs and pruning to classes. If they changed it, I might finally come back to an expansion for more than a couple days.

1 Like

IIRC wrathful was peak participation, by a long-shot.

2 Likes

If you want to do by just numbers sure, but that was because the playerbase was much larger then. But if you look at percentage no prideful still had the most.

Why would you lose your account? Private servers aren’t tied to your wow account, they use their own dedicated server lol

Good post OP. I actually loved Wotlk best but I think MoP could be a close second.

I thought it was against EULA to not play on official servers. It has some legalese to do with what you do with the client which is Blizzard’s property. That’s what a friend told me a long time, warning me not to go down that road.

Cataclysm pvp during season 10 was the peak of pvp. Balance was amazing, most of the specs were at the same powerlevel. Classes didnt have gimmicks except unh necrotic strike and even then teams could still win easily.

1 Like

I mean I’ve dabbled in them for years, never seriously, and I’ve still got the same account I’ve had from 2008. They use their own servers so worst that ever happens is blizz shuts them down and you move onto the next best one.

I disagree completely and enjoy BfA PvP very much.

I do think Classic PvP damage/1 shots are just stupid.