PvP vs PvE servers - Which and why?

Pretty much this. Even though I plan on playing on a PVP server for added danger, WoW was always designed around PVE. That’s why PVE servers were called “Normal”.

I don’t think of people who play on PVE as Carebears. Using that term just makes you seem like a pretentious d-bag. They just prefer the challenge of the world over the challenge of opposing faction players.

I do feel, however, that something feels like it’s missing on PVE servers, which is why I’m choosing PVP for Classic.

1 Like

I enjoy PvE. But I wouldn’t play WoW without PvP frequently. PvE is too boring all by itself to keep me occupied.

PvP for sure

I simply cannot make up my mind, and if there’s anything that makes me glad that the release is three months away is that I have time to decide.

In Vanilla, I played on a PvE server, but that’s mostly because my joining WoW got delayed six months, and my friends and ingame friends all wanted to be as hardcore at Raiding as they could be, and were not into PvP.

I discovered PvP, on the BGs, in WotLK, and I the realization in those BGs that the real fun in a computer game came from playing against and got other players OVER a computer, not from playing AGAINST a computer.

So I may switch, leastways at first, to PvP.

I will still make BGs—especially AV—my speciality, but I would put Raiding in second place, and for my guild to get any gear they might need.

I also wonder if putting Raids in second place, after PvP, might make those 40-member Raids more endurable…

1 Like

I imagine it’s hard for people to choose. I am so used to pvp servers it’d be hard to go back. I’m not gonna say you shouldn’t go pve. If that’s your bag, then you do you. However the silliness that goes on over on pvp servers is more than worth the occasional time you get ganked.

3 Likes

Classic is pretty boring without any element of danger as you’re doing things in the open world.

I mean I guess you could run around on a PVE server flagged but what I just don’t find the same satisfaction of leveling to 60 and gearing out as I would on a PVP server. It’s just a different experience when you hit 60 and see other 60’s and know they have been through the same problems as you have.

Exactly. There will be bg’s and open world pvp on pve realms, just not as much open world and virtually no genking.

I really want to be on a PvP server (mostly because I like the social aspects created from it), but the guild I am joining is going to be PvE since I have a hard time finding one that would raid in the morning at times I would be available. Its literally the only one I have found. What is unfortunate as well is that having the choice to toggle PvP seems to incentivize you to not have it active when you have some goal in mind rather than being immersed in the danger of the outside world.

I will probably play on both. Sometimes I would rather just quest but it feels like something is missing on a pve server.

PvE.

PvP servers do have their benefits, as you said - fame and infamy and all of that, but being realistic I’ve never been good enough at pvp to be one of those to make a name for themselves.

That said, games are unwind time for me, and when I get home from a rough day at work and want to relax and play, I dont want my couple of hours of game time to be dominated by some self-fondling rogue ganking me repeatedly so he can get his rocks off. I dont have time for that nonsense.

On a PvE server, world pvp battles do still happen - they’re just typically larger/more orchestrated as opposed to random chance encounters with one player or a small group. Tarren mill/crossroads raids are always going to be a thing. The advantage is that, when you dont want to deal with pvp and the stress that comes with it, you dont have to - turn the flag off and just go about your questing/farming/whatever.

6 Likes

As a really, really old person, reflexes and quick-thinking are no longer part of my skill set, so PVE is where I’ll spend my twilight years, fishing, picking flowers, drinking in the tavern when my knees give out, and exploring when health allows.

Thank goodness for choices.

7 Likes

I grew up on PVP servers, you can’t just turn that switch in your head off, to not look over your shoulder. PVE servers, just feel like the games lacking, some people like the Wild west feel and all the ecom crazy RP PVP and even PVE stuff it brings to the table. I don’t know if PVE servers got that. But who know’s, Death tolerance from ganking sure makes more patience raiders.

pve servers are ok, they’re good if you don’t have much time to play.

No seriously, go ahead.

BLUEBIES! jk.

…really not kidding.

This is true. You will experience pve at a good level.

But you will never have the sense of danger that comes with the notion that at any moment, you could be ganked. Imo, every action you take, pve or other-wise, on a pvp server, is way more meaningful than on a pve server.

You are really missing out on part of the immersion on a pve server.

RP Server - I don’t RP myself but I am respectful of it so long as someone isn’t roleplaying through a dungeon run (never happened). I found the servers more enriching and mature in general. Whether it is a pve or pvp, I do not care.

I wouldn’t say never, if you flag yourself on a pve server you will get attacked by the other faction. Less often than on a pvp server but it will still happen, while also allowing you to just chill out in the world anytime don’t feel like pvping.

I like my fair share of pvp and the only time I ever thought I didn’t get enough pvp on my pve server was when I was farming the pvp coins on the timeless isle, I had a friend phase me over to his pvp server. I wouldn’t want to be on a pvp server forever though.

1 Like

PvP because Lok’Tar Ogar!

1 Like

That doesn’t enhance the experience for me, pvp with no stakes other than just messing up someone else’s day isn’t particularly interesting.

1 Like

Ganking is a complex issue. On one hand, with the animosity between the horde and the alliance, seeing enemy players and ganking them is a thing on a pvp server. But on the other it might not be honorable all the time.

On my pvp server, ganking did happen, but before the random dungeon finder there was always players that were running around ready to defend zones from gankers.

After 3.3, a lot of those players were now standing around in the dalaran sewers running randoms instead of being out in the world.

At least on my server, the type of ganking that a lot of pve server advocates bemoan about increased significantly after 3.3 dropped. And with cross realm it further skyrocketed.

I still maintain though, that in a world free from the random dungeon finder, cross realm, or phasing/sharding technology, pvp servers offer a greater level of immersion than pve servers.

I’ve always played on PvP servers, but I haven’t actually gone out with the intention to gank anyone since vanilla or TBC and it was rarely even then. I usually just leave people alone unless they attack me, so I’d probably be better off on a PvE server. Most of the people I know in WoW I met on PvP servers though, so I don’t know if any of them would want to play on a PvE server.

In beta, the PvP server seems to have a much larger population than the PvE server. At night I did a /who 30 on the PvE server just a few days ago and there were only 30 total online for the Alliance. If you do a /who 30 on the PvP server at the same time there’s always over 50 (and in the realm list the PvP server is high and the PvE server was only medium). I am Horde on the PvP server so it’s also possibly a faction thing? On live I’m sure there will be full PvE servers, but it seems like PvP is the most popular server type so far.

Its the same for me. I typically don’t engage enemy players in combat unless they strike me first. Even then Ill give them the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps it was a wayward tab target booboo or whatever. But If not, I will defend myself.

I still say though that, imo, playing in a dangerous world like what a pvp server provides, makes all actions you engage in more meaningful.

1 Like