PvP gearing; make climbing the ladder cosmetically driven

I thought of this to help with the gearing issue.

First make only an honor set and a conquest set, that is it in terms of the ilvl of gear.

Then with each milestone of rating make the appearance of the conquest gear more and more intricate and also give the gear a different name. This is like what they did in Wotlk, only it was each season the gladiator gear became more intricate.

For example, lets say in 9.2 the gear is called Eternal Gladiator’s (gear piece name)

1400-1599 - Combatant’s Eternal Gladiator’s (gear piece name)

1600-1799 - Challenger’s Eternal Gladiator’s (gear piece name)

1800-2099 - Rival’s Eternal Gladiator’s (gear piece name)

2100-2399 - Dualist’s Eternal Gladiator’s (gear piece name)

2400+ - High Warlord/Grand Marshal’s Eternal Gladiator’s (gear piece name)

9 Likes

Blizzard is no where near this committed to design nor intelligent enough to understand this good idea. If you can’t suggest the most simple lazy idea PLEASE just get out of these forums because you’re just wasting my… I mean their time

5 Likes

This removes a lot of progression in PVP though, which is integral the MMORPGs.

how so? what wouldn’t you want removed? tell me now

It removes gear progression from PVP. In PVE, the harder content you do, the better gear you get, the stronger your character is. That’s an integral gameplay loop to the MMORPG genre.

Removing the gear ranks in PVP would destroy that gameplay loop.

In pve you aren’t competing against other players.

1 Like

then how about you pve and let our pvp game strive for balance over your immersion :D.

2 Likes

Many people do actually. Blizzard even supports and encourages competition among PVE players in PVE.

how do you not understand the balance importance difference? in pve if classes aren’t balanced all that happens is you “may” sit. Everyone is working TOGETHER to defeat said npc boss. In pvp you’re fighting others, NOT working with the other team, balance is far more important in pvp than pve…

2 Likes

I enjoy doing both, but the great thing about WoW, an MMORPG, is that it offers an MMORPG PVP experience… where gear and progression matters.

WoW should expand on its MMORPG elements, not destroy them.

going from 1 set of honor gear to 1 set of conquest gear is still progression.

6 Likes

just flat ignoring pvp in wow’s past, successful wow pvp systems with much higher participation and player satisfaction, and a number of other things

meanwhile, your statement is utterly refuted by the incredible collapse of pvp participation in slands that has the highest level of ‘pvp gearing progression’ to ever exist in wow’s history

then you conclude ‘would destroy the pvp gameplay loop’ if there were no gear ranks

you’ve been a lot more chill these last months but man, this is a doozy buddy - not sure if trolling for the ignore or genuinely feel this way during a lapse in critical thinking

2 Likes

Actually, the first season of Shadowlands was one of the most popular seasons in the last few years. This has been confirmed by Blizzard themselves.

And you attribute this solely to the PVP gearing progression, why? I can think of a few reasons that could cause this that have nothing to do with the PVP gear system. If the PVP gear system didn’t drive players away in the first season, why did it suddenly drive them away in the 2nd season, even after huge improvements made in 9.1 and 9.1.5?

we’ve been through this before buddy, ‘last few years’ is during the crappy borrowed power xpacs, which have been huge reductions from pvp in pre-borrowed power xpacs

the ratio of players in pve/pvp is 50/50 in healthy xpacs, right now we’re at 10-20%

you gotta stop making stuff up

Highest participation maybe, but not popular. All the dragonslayers were buying 1800 boosts to get pve weapons.

2 Likes

It’s a fact confirmed by Blizzard… right here.

I’m not sure what we can discuss if you think I’m making it up. Shadowlands season 1 was incredibly popular, seeing more participation than those seen in recent seasons.

If you refuse to believe this, I’m sorry, but there’s not much for us to discuss.

Comparing a PVE player to a PVP player is like comparing apples to Oranges. I have talked and met a lot of good people in the pvp community and “PVE progression” in pvp as far as gearing goes is not what makes the WoW PVP experience fun. Outplaying other players with skill and working with your partners in arenas with strats is what makes WoW pvp. There is a reason people like MoP and WoD pvp gear or in other cases Legion Template system. I am sorry Bloomsday but you do not know the wow pvp community at all. You are probably trolling however, this is something that Blizzard needs to realize when it comes to what PVP players actually want in the Majority.

EDIT: Other people have mentioned what I was going to say about the blue post. So I edited that part out but I also think its them saving face for PR reasons until the fix it in 10.0 assuming they don’t make it worse.

2 Likes

season 1 was full of boosts, thanks to the WoW token. take those away and i bet there would’ve never been a blue post about high participation…

1 Like

In “recent seasons”… yeah, bfa was horrendously bad, it made me “retire” my original vanilla account :wink: It was that insanely bad.

In addition the 1st season of any expansion is going to be the most popular, players were hoping slands was good but alas… here we are.

Plus you could get a pve equivalent mythic last boss weapon from pvp…

1 Like