PvP gear scaling wasn't so bad it seems

So we have had a patch now without any gear scaling in pvp. And the results were entirely predictable.

I’ll admit I was against gear scaling. But I was wrong.

Turns out it just lead to a lot of people being trapped in 1600 hell because they are getting stomped by people who massively out gear them.

And because the only way to get gear that can help you equalise is by getting higher rating in the first place… it’s a bit of a sisyphean trap.

Inb4 people accuse me of buying a carry to 1600. 100% on this toon. I’m not a fan of pvp at the best of times. My best rating ever was 1800 which I earned normally, but seeing the s***show that was happening in SL I decided to just spend the gold I made selling 5 mask carries in BFA to skip the bs going on now to get my trinket. Then the valor system came in and I decided I no longer cared about the pvp trinket.

11 Likes

yeah got 1800 early by stomping on pvp only players becouse spammed m+ and got a 226 weapon out of first box and im not very good at pvp lol, scaling was fine other then rextroy doing some funny stuff didnt see any problem with it. Ppl ask for things and they dont really think of the consequences its the same with titanforging they asked for it to go away now we got a garbage loot system.

7 Likes

I think the people who really supported removal of scaling were the ones who benefited from top PvE gear in BfA and wanted to keep that advantage. As in, “This is great! And can I have more corruption now?”

5 Likes

I think both the gear as barrier to entry haters AND the gear grinds as an incentive to play lovers don’t care about pvp at all; They only care about player power.

4 Likes

Scaling, templates were all horrible, bad ideas. WoD gearing was better. BC gearing was better. What we have now is a mess. They’ve created a situation where the few people that legitimately care about pvp rush the pvp gear, overgear and two shot people and everyone else trying pvp and getting two shot.

There should not be a 26 item level gap in conquest gear. But there also should not be gear scaling or templates.

There should be honor gear and conquest gear. With small upgrades for the higher end. And that is it.

13 Likes

The wod gear scaling had a 10 ilvl difference between honor gear and conquest gear. With the level squish, that would be like a 3.5 ilvl difference today. It took a day or two to get your honor gear at that time.

8 Likes

Wod gear, IMHO, struck the perfect balance between gear that was useful outside of pvp if that was your thing, and gear that gave you a decent advantage in pvp without being OTT.

5 Likes

In BfA you could grind out heroic raid ilvl conquest gear by just doing ordinary BGs, going after chests, invasions and Warfronts.

Still don’t understand why that was taken out. We wouldn’t even need gear scaling if it was still in.

2 Likes

there’s nothing heroic raid-level about doing ordinary BGs.

2 Likes

So what?

Please explain how it negatively affected the game that players like me could gear in this manner.

i will explain nothing.

you are unworthy of that level of gear for you have not completed anything remotely close to that level of difficulty.

1 Like

This is a joke ? why would anyone not wanna get stronger after hours and hours of gameplay?

2 Likes

Throwing in towel already, huh?

Fair enough.

Watch out, it’s one of those kids who thinks you have to be “deserving” to progress in a video game you pay money to play. :joy:

6 Likes

PvP engagement is the highest it’s been in many expansions.

The system is a clear success.

Gear doesn’t really work the way your saying it is.

207 conquest gear is better than 226 +15 vault gear with no verse.

1 Like

Looks like we have one of those cerebral giants who thinks it is perfectly acceptable to have to do high-end content to be competitive in unrated pvp. Is this a Blizzard employee?

4 Likes

Can you provide any evidence of these claims? My 20+ minute BG queues would beg to differ.

2 Likes

Blizzard said so.

Why would blizzard make stuff up, come on.

Not sure what time/mmr you are queueing at, but I’ve been gearing up this toon and another healer recently using RBGs. My gearing strat is to play a bunch of 2s in blues, get 1400, upgrade, switch to RBGs, finish some gear, go back to arena. So far nothing has been longer than 1-2 minutes of queue time, but this character is still lowish at 1900

1 Like

Blizzard themselves said they’ve been overwhelmed with people queuing into rated PvP and had to adjust match matching as a result. Bellular even discussed it

1 Like