PvP Ai Generated 3s Matches

PvP is intimidating for new players, this is a fact. Nobody likes being placed In a 1900 lobby for their first shuffle ever, and going 0-6 maybe 1-5 until they reach the rating that suits them, which is typically super low.

I played on an alt last night and encountered a hunter, whose never pvpd before, and had a 5-24 win rate. He went 0-6 this lobby as well, and said “f*** this i’m done”.

Now imagine if blizzard could implement a Ai generated PvP scenario; where you get to choose the difficulty, and comp of a generated 3’s team. You also get to pick your teammates.

This would bridge the gap between new players feeling nervous or demoralized from queing rated arena and getting absolutely dunked on until they can hold their own…

Pvp is dying, its only becoming harder, and the skill floor is becoming higher, we need something to help new players, or anyone for that matter.

If Super Smash Bro’s (OG) can do it, blizzard would have NO issues. Thoughts??

1 Like

Wow is a lot more complicated than most people realize. Even the state of the art bots still have many issues.
Blizzard already has the tech to throw AI into an arena with you. The problem is creating an AI matchmaking spectrum.
I think theres some stat where the game of chess has like octillions of different variations.
Wow is more complicated than chess. With so many extra added layers.
It would probably be fairly easy to make an insane unbeatable bot. Aswell as a crappy terrible bot. But the inbetweens would be incredibly difficult if not currently impossible. And would require blizzard to also standardize mmr… which seems wont ever happen. Because if 2400 one season is the equivalent to 1800 the next season, then that 2400 bot would also have to be adjusted… or just mmr equalized.

TLDR/ the point: people would get bored of this quick if they did it because making bots near your skill level would be incredibly hard.

Maybe you could make a completely new gamemode and call it magetower 2.0 where you beat ever more complex AI but that wouldn’t be arena at that point. It would be PVE where the goal is learning how to counter the bots script.
Or maybe what you meant was just a practice mode; like arena scrims; in which case ya go ahead. they probably wont ever do it but I see no problem with that idea.

Good pvp is mainly script anyways. Just take comp stomp, put it in a 3s setting, increase the difficulty

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that everything can be reduced to a ‘script’ and yes in the sense that rotations are fairly ‘scripted’. But its all the potential interactions. Up to and including movement and map and the interaction between every class, including when adding additional specific classes on top of one another, while being teamed with another class, with different healers. Basically point being there’s probably 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 variations of games if not orders of magnitude more.

But sure if you just want a slightly harder comp stomp thats totally possible. But I’d honestly post that in the general forums or some PVE section cause thats not PVP at that point. And it wont feel like pvp untill real AI gets a little more advanced.

Personally I never considered comp stomp pvp for the reasons i’ve listed before. When fighting AI youre not engaging in the same interaction you would a player. In comp stomp everyone learned the strat to 5cap every game. It just became a free honor farm. People learned how to bug out the bots, or get them stuck. So on and so on. It was just pve vrs slightly more ‘intelligent’ pve mobs.

Can we program the bots to be abusive and use vulgar language to really immerse the players in Gladiator culture.

3 Likes

It would not only be possible. It would be required. Given blizzard ever did implement real AI ‘PVP’.
Every loss would be followed by a onsalught of slurs only your grandparents have heard of.

1 Like

I also think we need to ensure the bots simulate standard class behavior. Like a warrior that leaps behind a pillar and dies or a warlock that complains about class strength. Or a rogue that chastises you for dr’ing their kidneys.

1 Like

unironically this would be an amazing april fools joke release. like s+ tier. releasing it saying its a new pvp gamemode and you just get all these classics.

1 Like

This is called Island Expeditions

Island expeditions are so far fetched from what i’m explaining lol. That’s pve ai, 90% of the time you don’t even interact with the other side, nor is it an arena setting… what??

Skirmishes exist tho? No risk and perfect for practice.

If you mean for ranked gameplay, then I hope that never happens. Because that would not even be PvP. It would literally be PvE and there’s an entire part of the game dedicated to that.

It could be cool as an unranked learning mode that doesn’t reward anything outside of a place to practice.

1 Like

PVP AI would literally just be PVE though. Hence Island expeditions.

Oh man we’re getting dangerously close to admitting that PvP needs cc to have any reason to exist

1 Like

I can not wait for a bot to /spit on me.

Seriously though, even if the bot healer just moves around and casts heals, and the dps just do damage and throw random CC out, it’s a good enough starting place for new comers to figure out to “do damage, don’t die”

I mentioned this probably over a year ago

Oh man that’s crazy. Then what happened

All fun and games until I give an npc boomy precog then lose the game. That already happens and I don’t need another method of the game calling me trash.